<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

.22 or .25 for more damage?

February 6 2010 at 11:23 PM
cfxdragon  (Login cfxdragon)
YF

If you have two guns, one in .22 and one in .25. The .22 shooting a heavier pellet so that the muzzle energy (fpe) is the same for both of the projectiles.

Which projectile will have a greater effect on the target (hunting small game)?

The .25 will have a larger frontal area, but will that make is shed its energy faster due to the increased drag?

Will the larger wound channel from the .25 do more damage even at a lower energy at target impact?

Will the smaller cross sectioned .22 shed energy slower and have a flatter trajectory?

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login FT91)

bigger hole = more damage...

February 6 2010, 11:26 PM 

so the .25cal takes this one IMO.

Respond to this message   

(Login chrismel)
YF

Taylor KO Factor

February 6 2010, 11:41 PM 

says bigger is better, but smaller is flatter shooting.

Age old battle. In the end, dead is dead.

Respond to this message   

(Login rwssam)

Re: .22 or .25 for more damage?

February 7 2010, 12:03 AM 

Simple math the heaviest projectile retains the most energy at the POI

Sam

Respond to this message   
robert
(Login gubb33ps)
YF

February 7 2010, 12:03 AM 

Studied and rationalized the numbers on paper, not thinking the .25 had any real advanatge over a .22 at the same energy level. It's easy to think of them as "even" from paper anaysis, which I honestly did belive...until I tried a .25.

Probably not at it's best with lighter weight pellets, but the resuls on game so far have clearly been in the .25's favor. Certainly, put any kind of hole though the "off button" and the game falls down (which could mean the choice should be between .177 and everything elce) but in the real world, are some shots that don't go exactly where you planned (and some that do, but you planned wrong).

But consider this. BC basically predicts how well a pellet will move though the resistance of air. IF the pellet doesn't deform, that smae BC seems a very good predictor of how well those same pellets will move though heavy resistance (like meat).

Respond to this message   

M'hackett
(Login 22MK1)
YFOT

How fast would this hypothetical .22 be shooting to match the FPE o the .25?

February 7 2010, 12:48 PM 

Instead of using a heavier(slower) pellet in the .22, use Predators in it.

If it can launch them at 800, they may well do more damage than a .25. See some of Harry's(Yrrah) posts show their destructive capability and someone recently posted results in gelatin blocks showed both fairly good penetration along with expansion. If you already have such .22, you might want to try a tin of Predators out before shelling out for a .25.

Respond to this message   

(Login gubb33ps)
YF

LEts just say...

February 7 2010, 3:35 PM 

..both guns are shooting JSB's, so call it 25.4gr. for both the .22 and the .25. So you can also make the velocity even...somthing like (just picking a number) 780fps, so they both earn 34.3 foot pounds.

Respond to this message   
Joe Hoover
(Login Guthook)
YF

February 7 2010, 1:10 AM 

If both the .22 and .25 pellets were of the same weight, and shooting the same fps. the question is a good one.
The .25 caliber will definitelty impart the most energy upon contact with what ever it hits, but the .22 will give the greater amount of penetration.

So if your shooting reletively small game I would say the .25 would have a more noticiable effect while the 22 would be just as deadly but with less smack.
If it's bigger game, say groundhog, raccon, or maybe even nutria the 25 might not get in deep enough to do the job where the 22 may with its added penetration.
having said all that I am a fan of the 25 in the 50ft/lb range and the .22 in 30ft/lb area.

[linked image]

Respond to this message   

(Login MarinoJ)
YC

Which would hurt more?

February 7 2010, 3:05 AM 

Shoving a needle 1 inch into your arm or a pencil 1/2 inch into your arm.

Respond to this message   

(Login q1q)

You can't talk aout this without stating muzzle energy.

February 7 2010, 9:14 AM 

There will be a different situation for 10 ft-lbs a different one for 15 ft-lbs, yet another for 20 ft-lbs, whole different ball game at 30 ft-lbs and no contest at 60 ft-lbs.

25/25 rule applies if all esle is equal. The higher in ft-lbs you get beyond 25, the .25 rules. If you shoot a critter at 15 yards and 15 ft-lbs, grab the .25. If you change the distance to 35 yards, don't touch the .25, grab the .22.

No simple answers. With my Greg Davis .25 at 55 ft-lbs, I don't have to worry about it. Any airgun distance is good. The power is there and the penetration is there. You need both.

Bottom line, you have to use the caliber that would penetrate most and preferably not exit. The .25 at anemic levels (any .25 gun below 20 ft-lbs IMO) and distances of 30 yards or so  would hit a crow on the wings and just tip it over, just to have it fly away.

Not enough frontal pressure to penetrate in that situation. Penetration is inversly proportional to the pellet's frontal area. The good thing about the .25, after it penetrates it slows faster inside the game, dispersing more of its energy where it counts.

If I didn't confuse you, you were not reading happy.gif

Steve
Yellow Forums Administrator
http://www.yellowforum.com

Respond to this message   

(Login gubb33ps)
YF

Did get away from the original question...

February 7 2010, 10:52 AM 

..which did mention that they both have the same energy. Would be comparing a heavy weight .22 pellet with a .25 pellet of something close to the same weight.

Nice pair up would be JSB's, which can be 25.4gr. in either caliber, but are other comparisons that are close enough (.22 Kodiaks vs. .25 trophy / .22 EJ vs .25 Kodiak).

So could have about the same weight, moving along at about the same speed, with the difference being in striking area... .038 vs .049 inches of contact area,,, and a difference in SD. For the game i hunt, either one tend to come out the other side when impacting at a decent vel.

Think steve is right. The fatter pellet tends to both slow down a little faster after impact and penetrate a bit less, dumping it's energy faster and contacting a larger volume...basically giving a bit more "thump" for a little less penetration.

Respond to this message   
cfxdragon
(Login cfxdragon)
YF

Let's say 25-30 fpe

February 7 2010, 10:53 AM 

For the sake of this discussion let's say a power range of 25-30 fpe. I will also say game that is a bit larger such as woodchuck, opossum, and raccoon and ranges of no more than 30-35 yards.

These power levels are fine for .22 IMO but possibly border line for .25?

Or is the extra "SMACK" of the .25 still worth it at these low to moderate power levels?

Respond to this message   

mike
(Login bracmon)
YFOT

Steve's just a .25 hater

February 7 2010, 11:02 AM 

But I got him to buy a .25

He will learn, oh yes he will learn:^)

Respond to this message   
eric
(Login talon24)
YF

still 025

February 7 2010, 11:06 AM 

i have shot RX or HW90 in 22 and 025 , same pest (feathers), same conditions , typical range being 30-50 yards and for me 025 is better . Some critters are compact,boney or tight and would perhaps respond better to a better penetrating 022 . I still love 022 though , cheaper ammo , better selection and often plenty of power to get the job done . If I had to pick only one caliber it would however be 0177 or 022 .

Respond to this message   

mike
(Login bracmon)
YFOT

February 7 2010, 11:21 AM 

no contest.

Respond to this message   

(Login gubb33ps)
YF

Is to me.

February 7 2010, 11:26 AM 

Do run a .25 at 32 foot pounds (Kodiaks at 685fps) and have tuned down a 5mm Sumatra to that level in the past (23.5gr. at 800fps or 14.3's at 1012fps). Could tune the .25 up to about 40 foot pounds, and the 5mm sumatra to a little over 50, but they run happier at these speeds.

The closest in .22 I came to that power level was with a modded up Discovery that could manage 14.3gr. at 955fps for about 29 foot pounds (and as you could guess, the sweet spot was tiny-tiny and my current Disco is set to run at 17 foot pounds)

The largest critters shot have been 'possums, (had a 'possum family that were intent on some satsumas growing in my yard and one tree in my neighbor's yard). Range from 20-30yards. Exit holes for the 5mm.23.5gr/800fps, .22 14.3gr/955fps., and the 25 30.6gr./685fps. The .25 got a big flinch-reaction on impact while the other two only gave the smack sound of the hit. Dead is dead, so it made little difference in that respect.

Totally subjective, but the .25 impressed me enough to make it the go-to choice for that kind of shooting.

Little problem in hitting targets out to 40-45yards with the slow .25 if sighted in correctly (those .25 Kodiaks have a very good BC.. will be testing the JSB's); past that point better to have a real good grip on range and a drop chart taped to the stock.

Basically, yes it is worth it to me even at 30-32 foot pounds. But it's not going to be a good "do everything" rifle.

(And if any one ever does find a "do everything" rifle, please keep it a secret...if such a rifle is out there, we'd have no real excuse to own more than one air rifle.)

Respond to this message   

mike
(Login bracmon)
YFOT

You may own an airgun forum but................

February 7 2010, 11:07 AM 

the .25 has devistating killing power even at low FPE. I didn't think so at first but a few yrs ago I gave my Dad a DAQ 25xx for squirrels but he's been using it to whack groundhogs large #s out to 35yrds.

[linked image]

Respond to this message   

(Login dirtdawg2)
YF

.25!

February 7 2010, 10:19 AM 

At higher power levels.

Respond to this message   

LEE IN VA.
(Login lee1972b)
YC

Here is a good post

February 7 2010, 12:00 PM 

Respond to this message   

(Login gubb33ps)
YF

Search is "out" for me...

February 7 2010, 12:24 PM 

At that time, hadnt ramped up my first disco and the .25 was still running on co2 rather than HPA.

Here I added a few more to that same chart:
[IMG][linked image][/IMG]

And ran the tests again with some selected 5mm pellets, just changing the vel. at impact: (all are 5mm pellets..and the pellets rolled a bi on the paper as I didnt glue these down):
[IMG][linked image][/IMG]

Respond to this message   
Jackson
(Login todaupah)
YFOT

"Nice work Robert"..your tests are very impressive,I

February 7 2010, 5:28 PM 

dont think anyone can knock the .25 cal. Great caliber for sure. Looks like no matter the cabiler,the weight of the pellet needs to be up there and the results will be good on the penetration. What exactly were you shooting into?

Thanks
Jack

Respond to this message   

(Login gubb33ps)
YF

Soaked news print...

February 7 2010, 5:40 PM 

... cheat (basically free) and if you maintain the same level of soaked, the results are repeatable.

Not soaked enough and it acts like wood...soaked to mush, it acts like thick water. Ideal is when it is completely wet, but if you have to, can still carefully turn a page if you try real hard.

Respond to this message   

(Login charlie9g)
YF

we are so spoiled it hurts

February 7 2010, 12:08 PM 

we have the unlimited FPE at our disposal and come up with phony requirements way above what's needed.
a .25 caliber pellet shooting at 'only' 20 fpe is one fearsome hunk of lead. sure, more power is fun, but you don't strictly NEED it.

small caliber joy

Respond to this message   

(Login gubb33ps)
YF

Re: we are so spoiled it hurts

February 7 2010, 12:39 PM 

For several years shot a Stingray and a Exocet in .25. Not power houses, both of them about just loafing those big pellets along, but never had a problem at typical woods ranges collecting game. Noithing fancy, certainly not fast, but even at their lower speeds, were deadly tree squirrels guns.

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - .22 or .25 for more damage?
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Traj Plot by RC    Airgun Calculators    number of fills Calc    cc gun volumes    Add your Pic

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.