<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

what's the function of muzzle brake ?

February 22 2010 at 11:54 PM
new2gun  (Login new2gun)
YC

Almost all air guns are equipped with muzzle brakes of some kind and I have been wondering what purposes it serves. Besides protecting the crown, is there any other purposes ? It's presence will result in the air behind the pellet expanding in two stages - first into the muzzle brake and then open air. Does that make the gun quieter or make the pellet fly straighter ?

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Rick
(Login RKlages)
YF

Re: what's the function of muzzle brake ?

February 23 2010, 12:05 AM 

Adds weight to the muzzle end, convenient hand grip on a barrel cocking springer and gives a finished look to guns without front sights.

Rick(-K)

Lord, guard and guide the men who fly
And those who on the ocean ply;
Be with our troops upon the land,
And all who for their country stand:
Be with these guardians day and night
And may their trust be in Thy might.

Respond to this message   

LarryR
(Login Lawrence59)
YC

Sometime back

February 23 2010, 12:34 AM 

a photo was posted by Hector Medina that I think says it all.

The #1 function of a muzzle brake in an air rifle is to direct, away from the pellet, faster moving turbulent gas as the pellet exits the muzzle. The're not put on match rifle and pistols for looks.

Muzzle flip, crown protection, added weight all might be considered secondary options in my opinion.

In firearms they are used to redirect sound, vent gas, etc.

Photobucket

Respond to this message   

Rick
(Login RKlages)
YF

Back

February 23 2010, 12:43 AM 

Plenty of accurate airguns without... 1# reason is aesthetics (in my humble opinion).

Rick(-K)

Respond to this message   

Scot Heath
(Login ish00ttrap)
YF

Bull

February 23 2010, 2:43 AM 

No way. Target air rifles (10m guns) have bloop tubes to put the sight and muzzle weight at a reasonable distance from the shooter. Muzzle brakes are nothing more than weight with in and of itself is good, aesthetics are in the eye of the beholder.

-Scot

Respond to this message   

Pioneer66
(Login Pioneer66)
YF

They do nothing to enhance the performance...

February 23 2010, 4:02 AM 

of the pellet what so ever. Aesthetic purposes only and like the others said, a nice cocking handle...

Respond to this message   
Dan Kennison
(Login kennisondan)
YC

factory ones do not impress but air strippers...

February 23 2010, 5:13 AM 

are likely a different story...and I have one target type gun that has holes in the top of the barrel and a stripper at barrel front..seems that is there for more than aesthetics.
That is where the disagreement seems to come in; I tend to agree that most are just add ons for leverage/crown hiding-protection/ sight mounting-extension of open sight plane distance between sights for better easier accuracy; and last of all looks..
others may enhance but are more expensive and engineered to do a particular job.
That is where my reader's education has led me to so far; the air blast overtaking the pellet makes sense in being disruptive.
dk

"HAVE GUN WILL TRAVEL"

Respond to this message   

RedFeather
(Login RedFeather)
YFOT

The air blast should not disrupt the pellet's flight

February 23 2010, 7:32 AM 

That is what a good barrel crown is for.

Respond to this message   
Tim McMurray
(Login Mac-1)

But it does!

February 23 2010, 10:57 AM 

Just like Marilyn's dress blew up mostly on one side, yaw is a function of excessive blowing into a skirt. The pellet wants to rotate around the mass. Air Strippers can control this to a degree. The more wasteful your being the more it helps.
It just redirects a great deal of the volume. Crowns need to be good but a gun can still have excessive valve duration relative to barrel time and this results in poor accuracy too often.
It is why powerful guns appreciate heavy ammo and Why guns shoot better groups when not shooting 11/10ths of their design potential.

[linked image]

"NO GUNS WOULD BE A RIOT"

Later

Tim

Mac1 Airgun

Respond to this message   
Tim McMurray
(Login Mac-1)

Bingo-Gold Star

February 23 2010, 10:48 AM 

Hector once said that a brake could not only speed the pellet fractionally but inhance accuracy as well if done right. I wouldn't argue with that but it is difficult to accomplish.
T-Brakes do inhance accuracy but not significantly. Just enuf to be worthwhile. Brakes and shrouds as a general rule will cost you accuracy. There are exceptions to every rule.
If T-Brakes didn't work you wouldn't see them on Guns that win Championships.
LD's .22 cal had a T-Brake for last weekends 50 yard BR match he won.
When a guy with a 51 yard windless tunnel does something you can take it to the Bank.

[linked image]

"NO GUNS WOULD BE A RIOT"

Later

Tim

Mac1 Airgun

Respond to this message   

airgunandy
(Login airgunandy)
YF

Barrel weight

February 23 2010, 7:37 AM 

Helps with barrel harmonics.

Respond to this message   
IH Johnstone
(Login IHJohnstone)
YC

Dunno!

February 23 2010, 7:47 AM 

happy.gif We dont have 'em here in the UK.

We have those LDC things OR we have Air Strippers.

Here's an explanation of the principles af an Air Stripper (& some good photos).
http://www.pmcb.co.uk/sitefiles/Pages/Air_Strippers/About_My_Air_Strippers.html

Respond to this message   

Bob D.
(Login MB-BOB)
YF

Terms Properly defined...

February 23 2010, 8:15 AM 

Respond to this message   

Rick
(Login RKlages)
YF

Terms defined.

February 23 2010, 8:38 AM 

Bob, You bring up a good point as the vast majority of factory appliances at the end of barrels are in fact simply weights. They are not muzzle breaks by definition.

[linked image]

M110 muzzle break (Functional).

Rick(-K)

Respond to this message   
Dan Bollinger
(Login DanBollinger)
YF

In a strick sense...

February 23 2010, 9:48 AM 

a muzzle brake's one and only function is exactly what it says, to counter barrel movement. While everything else people have mentioned above, plus a few more, are attributed to the lowly muzzle brake, they are being generous (and so am I). In the airgun world "muzzle brake" has become so generic a term it is applied to cocking handles, muzzle weights, sound attenuators, crown protectors, barrel harmonic device, and bling.

I cring when I hear the term, to my ears its like calling an air rifle a BB gun. wink.gif

Respond to this message   
MartinL
(Login SidVic999)
YF

Re: In a strick sense...

February 23 2010, 12:00 PM 

My neighbor calls my guns BB guns. I nod my head and let him say BBguns, since the city statutes have laws in place for projectile crap. BBgun sounds much better.

Respond to this message   
piper
(Login Bps1)
YF

on break barrel springers..

February 23 2010, 9:55 AM 

some muzzle brakes can help give a better grip(less slip) on the barrel when cocking. it's also a more comfortable, beefier cocking handle.
protects the barrel crown too. and hides the leftover front sight grooves on the barrel for a more aesthetic, cleaner, and cooler look.

This message has been edited by Bps1 on Feb 23, 2010 10:59 AM

Respond to this message   
Bruce Dodson
(Login BDodson)
YF

On a firearm

February 23 2010, 12:31 PM 

On a firearm a muzzle break has holes on top to help reduce the kick up from the gun and it can make a noticeable improvement in felt recoil. On an airgun a properly designed muzzle break can help slow the air behind the pellet so it does not disrupt it as much. Recoil is of course not an issue but accuracy is. The higher powered the gun and the shorter the barrel the more the air will disrupt the pellet after it leaves the barrel. Both direct more of the noise back to the shooter.
Some airgun muzzle breaks are probably more for cosmetics than anything. A properly designed LDC may help scrub off the air and can help accuracy.
Ideally you would want most all of the air power used up in the barrel.

Bruce Dodson
AireTex Compressors
(214)402-5574 Mobile
(817)633-5505 Office
www.airetex.com

This message has been edited by BDodson on Feb 23, 2010 5:20 PM

Respond to this message   

RedFeather
(Login RedFeather)
YFOT

Not shooting gas guns, I was thinking in terms of springers

February 23 2010, 1:47 PM 

How much will a stripper contribute in a spring gun, unlike some pneumatics where I guess the gas is still expanding?

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Traj Plot by RC    Airgun Calculators    number of fills Calc    cc gun volumes    Add your Pic

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.