<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

What do you guys think of the "current" HW 35e?

June 23 2010 at 3:31 PM
karlw  (Login karlw)
YF

How does it compare to the older versions in overall quality, fit, finish, wood and blueing?

How is the firing cycle? Smooth out of the box or does it definitely need a tune?

Overall impressions, likes, dislikes, etc?

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login airguneditor1)
YC

Here's the conclusion from my Airgun Hobby magazine review

June 23 2010, 3:49 PM 

In the end, I find the HW35E to be one of those salted peanuts guns. Its so easy to shoot well that you just want to keep feeding it pellets and popping away at targets until its too dark to see. Straight out of the box, it is easily the nicest to shoot unmodified spring piston rifle that I have shot to date and give it my hearty personal recommendation. And the fact that it is nice to look at doesnt hurt either.

Jock Elliott
Airgun writer,
correspondent, Precision Shooting Magazine
author, "Elliott on Airguns"
http://sites.google.com/site/elliottonairguns/
airgun blog:https://www.airgunsofarizona.com/blog/blog.html

Respond to this message   
karlw
(Login karlw)
YF

Thank you, Jock!

June 23 2010, 4:35 PM 

Thanks for your reply and comments. Is there a place online that I can view your write-up on the HW 35e?

A few more questions for you if you don't mind?

1. How would you compare the HW 35e to the vintage FWB 124 in terms of overall build quality and in terms of velocity and accuracy?

2. Considering my location at high altitude, here in Denver, do you think I'd be better off with an HW 35e in .177 or in .22 caliber, since there will be a velocity loss of around 10% or so? I'm talking mostly backyard, short range, 10-20 yards max pest elimination and basement targets too. What kind of velocity do you think the .22 version would get at 5,280 feet?

3. I'm 48 years old, and I'd have to sell off a shotgun to finance this purchase. I like the "vintage" airguns, as I remember most of the old airguns that would show up in the Beeman's catalogs, etc. I'm mostly a "sporter" guy. I can probably only get 1 "vintage" or "vintage type" but "current" airgun at this point. Would you tend to go with the current HW 35e or would you recommend looking for an older FWB 124 or HW 55?

TIA

Respond to this message   

Jock Elliott
(Login airguneditor1)
YC

Hmmm, well . . .

June 23 2010, 6:26 PM 

1. I've never shot an FWB 124, so I can't compare.

2. At the chronograph, the .22 caliber HW35E launched 14.35 grain JSB pellets at 626 fps average (about 12.4 footpounds of energy). By comparison, the .22 caliber HW50S I tested some time ago launched 15.9 grain JSB pellets at 591 fps average, and the cocking effort was much higher. I didn't shoot the .177, and I don't know about the altitude question.

3. I think the HW35E is very well made, and as close to a modern vintage/classic as you are going to get. To me, it's the best of both worlds: current production and vintage design.

Jock Elliott
Airgun writer,
correspondent, Precision Shooting Magazine
author, "Elliott on Airguns"
http://sites.google.com/site/elliottonairguns/
airgun blog:https://www.airgunsofarizona.com/blog/blog.html

Respond to this message   
karlw
(Login karlw)
YF

Sorry, but one more question?

June 23 2010, 4:42 PM 

Would it be your impression that HW spends more time and LOVE making the current HW 35e than they would normally spend on the rest of their springers, given the fact that this is "their classic" springer and perhaps they have been told to take a little extra time on this particular model?

I know that sounds a little crazy, but I've noticed in my lifetime, that sometimes, gun manufacturers tend to "emphasize" more QA than normal, when they see it as being their "flagship" model, etc?

Respond to this message   

(Login gpo1956)
YC

Re: Sorry, but one more question?

June 23 2010, 6:49 PM 

I had one of the current production HW35Es and foolishly traded it. I really liked it. It was .177 and very smooth out of the box. Well balanced, accurate, fun to shoot and very very well made and finished.

Respond to this message   

chris
(Login chrismel)
YF

don't forget the barrel lock is an extra step

June 23 2010, 9:34 PM 

I do like that it is the only HW you can get in walnut

Respond to this message   

(Login gpo1956)
YC

Re: don't forget the barrel lock is an extra step

June 23 2010, 9:58 PM 

Not really an extra step, just a different position of your off hand. I could honestly cock and load my 35E as fast and as smoothly as my HW 50. I couldn't tell any difference a tall. To me, it was a non-factor.

Respond to this message   

JohnnySweden
(Login JohnnySweden)

Now and in the past...

June 24 2010, 12:53 AM 

I had a vintage 1964 HW35L and used a 2008 version of the same rifle at a meeting last week.

It is very true to the original concept, it feels and looks like a vintage rifle, but made in the 2000s.

Amazing.

http://airpang.bloggplatsen.se/

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - What do you guys think of the "current" HW 35e?
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Traj Plot by RC    Airgun Calculators    number of fills Calc    cc gun volumes    Add your Pic

******** Buy 3rd/4th gen FX Pumps for Superior quality and unbeatable 5 year factory Warranty.********

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.