<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Restrictions in Illinois

July 1 2010 at 8:56 PM
BerSerk  (Login 125C-BerSerk)
YF

I recently tried to buy an air rifle, which sported over 700fps, but sadly the seller said he couldn't sell it to me because of where i live. I Don't live in Chicago or Aurora, but I do live in Kane county which has the city of Aurora in it. I just can't believe that there could be any restrictions on buying an air rifle, when i know people who have actual fire arms. Can someone shed some light on this?

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login kawaboy-zx11)
YF

i thought IL just got set free of all that BS

July 1 2010, 9:11 PM 

i got an email from the NRA a couple days ago that said something about illinois being free state again??? mabey it was just chicago...all those laws are sooo screwed up. Dennis

Respond to this message   

(Login Chadd76)
YF

Our fine State.

July 1 2010, 9:19 PM 

I wish Chicago was it's own state or something. They have passed so many laws to deal with issues in Chicago that totally screw the rest of the state over.

There is a law on the books in IL to prevent airguns over .177 or even .177 that shoot over 700fps from being shipped into the state. I have read anything over the specs listed require a FOID card and 24 hour waiting period to buy. It is not a Federal law though and many suppliers will still ship you an airgun to IL

Thanks,

Chadd from Carlyle.

A Superten junkie

Respond to this message   

(Login t165)
YF

Just had this conversation

July 1 2010, 9:24 PM 

A friend of mine was telling me that without a FOID card he could not own an air rifle in Illinois that was over .177 in bore size and propelled a projectile over 700 fps. I personally haven't looked up the law but it should be fairly easy to google the code. I was in Lawrenceville, Illinois a few months ago and tried to buy some .22 rimfire ammunition which Wal-Mart had on sale and I could not buy it without a FOID card. I drove right across the Wabash river back home into good ol' Vincennes, Indiana and bought some at my local Wal-Mart. McDonald's beverage straws are a bit larger in diameter than many other restaurant chains beverage straws. Since they allow an individual to shoot/blow larger pieces of ice out of them it is just a matter of time before Illinois makes McDonald's change to a smaller diameter straw. You can put an eye out with one of those things kid!

Respond to this message   
Garrett in STL
(Login gmany)
YFOT

I thought out-of-state buyers didn't need FOID card -

July 1 2010, 10:46 PM 

I think the walmart clerk didn't know what they were doing or you did not express that you are not an IL citizen.

About 4 or 5 years ago a friend of my wife got married in a small IL town. During bride's maid stuff I dropped by a sporting goods store, half the store is guns, the other half supplies the high school/ town with team apparel and letterman jackets and stuff.

I got time to burn, and there weren't but a few patrons, so after I look over the selection a couple times then strike up a conversation with the clerk. He tells me that since I'm not an IL citizen I do not need a FOID card to purchase ammo or firearms. Nor is there a waiting period on long guns. Maybe this only applies to bordering state's residents, ie a person from Kansas may not be able to walk in and purchase ammo/firearms(and "firearm" airguns).

I think the law is this way so the retailers won't lose all their out-of-state business.

Respond to this message   

(Login dougotis)
YC

bad gun laws

July 1 2010, 10:29 PM 

I was born in Pontiac, Ill and live in Sidney Neb. Ill never mobe back to Ill. because of their insane and likely illegal restrict gun laws. get daley out of office and Ill think about it.

doug Law
dlaw1940@yahoo.com

Respond to this message   

(Login Airgun-Al)

Welcome to Illinois!

July 2 2010, 4:19 AM 

Try a different seller!
Many sellers simply ignore the Illinois air-gun laws, which is fine with me!
Otherwise, it must involve a 3rd party FFL transfer, and cost you an additional $15 or $20 fee.
Best advice, is to find another seller!

Respond to this message   

(Login Airgun-Al)

CHICAGO and Mayor Dailey SUX!

July 2 2010, 4:22 AM 

No more politics here...I will move onto a more apporiate foroum!

Respond to this message   

(Login bowhunt)
YF

Re: Restrictions in Illinois

July 2 2010, 5:12 PM 

If the law mirrors the firearm law...then a private seller could sell to you. You would have to provide a copy of your FOID card to the seller as well as a written description of the transaction and the seller must retain this information for 10 years.

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Restrictions in Illinois
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Traj Plot by RC    Airgun Calculators    number of fills Calc    cc gun volumes    Add your Pic

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.