<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Hw55

August 24 2010 at 12:04 PM
Mike  (Login Mike17670)
YF

Hey Guys,

Which one of the model Hw55 had the checkering on the grip and the fore-stock? The stock is walnut and has a mounting plate on the bottom of the fore-stock. It has stamp into the barrel "Made in West Germany". It has stamped on the breech "Made for Beeman Precision Airguns Inc. San Rafael, Ca. 94903". Serial number starts 594***

I'm curious if anyone can shed some light on what I have sitting before me.

Thanks,

Having Fun,

Mike :^)

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

TStray
(Login TStray)
YC

HW55 Master match

August 24 2010, 12:08 PM 

Also known as the model 55MM or just 55M for short.
Here is a link to a brilliant essay by world renound Weihrauch expert Mike Driskell on the variations of the model 55.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/thread?forumid=79537&messageid=1090893324

"Love them Walthers"
Hell I love them ALL

Tom Strayhorn
Catawissa Missouri

This message has been edited by TStray on Aug 24, 2010 12:12 PM

Respond to this message   
Mike
(Login Mike17670)
YF

55Hw

August 24 2010, 12:27 PM 

Hmmm,

Master Match with no finger groves. This is very interesting. Anyhow, I was lucky enough to pick it up for next to nothing however it does have a broken main spring that I will need to replace and I would figure while I've got the gun apart best take a look at the piston seal and breech seal. Any pointers or "be carefuls" you guys can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Having Fun,

Respond to this message   
Matthew Noe
(Login mnoe)
YC

Leather seals!

August 24 2010, 12:48 PM 

Hi Mike -

I believe you'll find leather seals (piston & breech) in your gun. Typically the leather seals can be rejuvenated, or they are available from JG Airguns, or even relatively easily made.

There is a conversion kit that allows the use of a synthetic seal (I believe it's an R7 seal). They used to be available from Beeman, but I wouldn't bet on that now. Probably best bet is to stick with leather. Silicone oil is excellent for perking up dry old leather seals!

Otherwise, it's a very easy gun to work on - rock solid & beautifully simple.

Hope that helps!

Matthew

Respond to this message   

Michael S. in NC
(Login BuyMyJunk)

If you can confirm that and he'd rather have synthetic than leather

August 24 2010, 1:44 PM 

I have a newer R7 piston seal.

Respond to this message   
Matthew Noe
(Login mnoe)
YC

About a 1974 vintage...

August 24 2010, 12:19 PM 

I have a similar rifle, HW55MM, Beeman San Rafael marked....595,xxx serial. It's a Weihrauch 75th anniversary model (nothing special, just a hang tag, but handy for dating) - as Weihrauch was founded in 1899, that puts it right at 1974.

edit - Tom is correct....the link he provided to Mike Driskill's 55 post leads to some very detailed information!

Fine, fine gun! Any chance you can post some pics???

Matthew Noe

This message has been edited by mnoe on Aug 24, 2010 12:31 PM

Respond to this message   
Mike
(Login Mike17670)
YF

Hw55

August 24 2010, 2:12 PM 

Great, thanks for all the info. I will be posting some pictures after the gun gets put back together.

Excitedly having fun,

Mike:^)

Respond to this message   
MDriskill
(Login MDriskill)
YF12

HW 55 MM

August 24 2010, 8:21 PM 

Hi Mike, as already pointed out this version of the gun was known to Beeman as the "HW 55 MM". The "M" designates the basic Bayern-style Match stock which has been around since the very earliest days of the HW 55 in the early 1950's.

I would guess yours is a pretty early example with the fore end accessory rail, which was added to the M after the HW 55 CM with modern match stock was introduced in the mid-1970's (see pic below). The rail is the standard Anschutz profile and can take a bunch of different accessories; I use a small target bipod frequently (lets you set the gun down without having to lay it on the wood), and the HW 55 is a ball to shoot with a palm rest.

A gun of that vintage will almost certainly have leather piston and breech seals. These work VERY WELL in the 55 and I wouldn't change either one unless necessary, just re-condition and lube (but, if you do need to replace one, not much of a problem, the parts are out there). Note that the breech seal fits very closely--when correctly fit, you can just barely see that it's proud of the metal breech face, which is quite different from HW's sporter rifles.

I highly recommend the spring/guide kits that Jim Maccari makes for this gun--a solid improvement to Weihrauch's best-ever rifle.

I am NOT an expert mechanic or qualified tuner, but I have taken apart and re-assembled a bunch of HW 55's! I'd be very happy to help if I can, please contact me off-forum if you'd like.

[linked image]

Respond to this message   
Mike
(Login Mike17670)
YF

Hw55

August 24 2010, 10:41 PM 

Thanks,
I do have a kit coming from JM. I'll be giving you an e-mail as the project progresses.

Having fun,

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Traj Plot by RC    Airgun Calculators    number of fills Calc    cc gun volumes    Add your Pic

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.