<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Benjamin Trail NP XL .25 or Walther Falcon Hunter Nitro .25 ?

September 19 2010 at 10:47 AM
wbyman  (Login wbyman)
YF

I am going to purchase one of the two guns in the title with the Nitro Piston , which is the best choice ? Thanks !

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Alex
(Login torchedthat)
YF

Tough choice

September 19 2010, 11:00 AM 

i'm slightly leaning to benjamin trail... but both seem excellent.

really good call with getting something 'nitro piston' its vastly superior to springs

I purchased the cheaper Titan GP from walmart for 150 in .22 if you've already got a scope and arnt totally set on .25 i'd do that and save some bucks.

Respond to this message   

daveshoot
(Login daveshoot)
YC

Go with the Trail

September 19 2010, 11:48 AM 

I haven't had a Trail, but I have been following the reviews. I do have the Walther and I think the build quality of the Trail must be superior.

Respond to this message   
eric
(Login talon24)
YF

have tried the Walther and I would NEVER buy it

September 19 2010, 4:04 PM 

so I would go for the other one. There are other 025s out there.....

Respond to this message   

daveshoot
(Login daveshoot)
YC

Double post

September 19 2010, 11:49 AM 

Odd, I received the following:
Warning - Can not post this message. Posting too fast

Not sure what to make of that. I did have a little too much coffee this AM?

This message has been edited by daveshoot on Sep 19, 2010 11:50 AM

Respond to this message   
Nathan
(Login hnt5)
YFOT

My opinion

September 19 2010, 12:08 PM 

I have a Trail XL in .22 and had a WFH in .22 but it was the coil spring version. One benefit to the Trail is there are 2 aftermarket triggers available. That's a good thing cause the stock Benji trigger kinda stinks. There is no trigger up grade for the WFH. Mine had a pretty stiff trigger. Mine was a earlier 2 forearm screw model. I've heard that some of the newer versions may have the new Hatsan Quattro trigger which is supposed to be an improvement. My WFH was more accurate than my Benji. My benji is only mediocre accuracy wise, but that could be me and not the gun. I would probably go with the Benji because of the trigger upgrades (the new WFH may or may not have the new trigger), I prefer wood over synthetic stocks and Crosman has excellent customer service. Others opinions and your mileage may vary.

Nathan

This message has been edited by hnt5 on Sep 19, 2010 12:09 PM

Respond to this message   
Jim in San Diego
(Login jimk403)
YC

What will you use it for?

September 19 2010, 12:19 PM 

I have the WFH, and it is great for pest control/hunting, but I don't see it winning any shooting matches.

Respond to this message   
wbyman
(Login wbyman)
YF

Re: What will you use it for?

September 19 2010, 12:53 PM 

Plinking mostly and a little hunting. I have several .177 and .22 caliber airguns and I want a .25 in the $300.00 range.

Respond to this message   
Griff1950
(Login Griff1950)
YF

Re: What will you use it for?

September 19 2010, 1:40 PM 

I definitely wouldn't buy a .25 for plinking. Look at the pellet costs!!!

Respond to this message   
paul
(Login ranedouglas)

i'm still looking for some solid info on the trail xl 725

September 19 2010, 2:28 PM 

can you please direct me to some solid velocity and accuray reports on this trail xl in .22 and .25 ?? as far as the .25 falcon hunter, it's the cheapest way i've found into .25 hunting guns. i tune them as a service. they are coming now w/ the quattro triggers. i just got a .22 falcon w/ the new trigger and i'm re-building it today. i should make an article. - paul.

Respond to this message   

daveshoot
(Login daveshoot)
YC

"Our Take"

September 19 2010, 2:41 PM 

Respond to this message   
LexingtonGreg
(Login LexingtonGreg)
YF

Trail XL is fantastic

September 19 2010, 3:30 PM 

If the Trail XL had a world class trigger group like a Rekord or AirArms CD, the big Benjamin would be worth every bit of $500.

Don't understimate the value of the Weaver scope rail, or built-in sling mounts either. Any magnum class sporter-type springer should have those 2 features today. Once again, advantage Benjamin.

I got one of the first XLs in .22 at the end of winter, serial number 32, and it never disappoints me with its accuracy and overwhelming power. Its basically PCP level power without all the hassle. It will take practice to shoot it well, but once you learn it, you'll be very happy with it.

Just be sure to use some light grade purple loctite (#222) on the scope cap screws, or they will vibrate loose without it, and your POI will constantly shift...then you'll think there's something faulty with the gun.

This message has been edited by LexingtonGreg on Sep 19, 2010 4:17 PM

Respond to this message   
Marcus
(Login frym)
YF

Walther stock

September 19 2010, 6:26 PM 

I don't own either, and someone correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the Walther stock hollow and hence a little, cheap feeling with more recoil? Just from what I know, I would go with Benjamin.

Respond to this message   

daveshoot
(Login daveshoot)
YC

The cheap feeling goes away after the stock splits

September 19 2010, 7:12 PM 

at the screws. Then, it feels broken.

I really wish they made a replacement wooden stock and a drop in Quattro trigger assembly available separately for the WFH. Then you could make a decent shooter of it.

As someone noted, there are choices for the Trail NP trigger.

Respond to this message   

Christopher
(Login chrispy72)
YF

Benji all the way.

September 20 2010, 8:39 AM 

I had the Walther Falcon Hunter in .25 and the stock was pretty much crap. Cracked around forward stock screws and when I got a replacement it cracked also even though I took special care when tightening the screw, which tighten counter-clockwise. The replacement stock also had damage to the rear stock screw hole by the trigger guard. The hole was drilled off center. Another problem I had was the barrel pivot pin kept wanting to work it's way out. I was so upset with these problems because I really liked the power this gun had. Way too much power for the stock.

If you buy the Walther immediately check for this problem. This stock came like this.
[IMG][linked image][/IMG]

This pin kept working it's way out causing stock to push outwards

Certain folks on this forum kept trying to say that I was tightening the stock screws too tight but I knew that I was not. Just cheap Turkish plastic.

Respond to this message   
pmeumo
(Login pneumo)
YC

I have the .25 WFH w/ram and it is a...

September 19 2010, 8:21 PM 

great hunting rifle. I filled the stock with foam and my gun has the upgraded 4 screw stock. It is a bear to cock and I am not a small guy, so if you are thinking about sitting down and putting 100+ pellets at a time through it, it might wear on you a bit. The WFH looks like it might have a bit of an edge on power and my gun is very accurate and has a very good sporting rifle trigger. I shoot mine with open sights to help keep the weight and bulkm down while hiking/hunting. It might just be a matter of taste (wood vs. syn, scope/no scope).

Either way the .25 is a great caliber!

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Traj Plot by RC    Airgun Calculators    number of fills Calc    cc gun volumes    Add your Pic

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.