<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

RWS 48..to tune or not to tune....

December 10 2010 at 7:21 PM
Rick  (Login rsenn67)
YF

Hello all,

My name is Rick and Im a longtime airgunner...new to this forum.I have an almost 20 year old RWS model 48 in .177 caliber.Its by far my favorite airgun and Ive lost count of how many rounds have been shot thru it.Lately Ive noticed a drop in power(no chronograph...I can tell from impact sound on steel target trap) so Ive decided to have it professionally tuned.
My question(s) is this..should I have a airgunsmith install a Maccari spring as part of the tune up?...or should I have the vortek system installed? My goal is to have the rifle shoot a 9.3 grain Supermag pellet(best performing pellet in this rifle,extremely accurate.The predator is a close second)in the 900-950 fps range.Is this realistic?
I have read alot about the airgun tune-up process and also before and after reviews from airgun owners,so Im definitlety sold on having it done.I would like to hear from fellow RWS owners that have had their guns tuned and who did the work for them.Price is not really an issue...this gun has alot of sentimental value for me and I want to keep it shooting as long as Im able to cock it.As for naming my gun(refering to an earlier post)..my friends started calling it "The Ray gun" about 15 years ago and the name stuck.Whatever I point it at...dies. happy.gif
Anyway..I'd like advice from anyone who has knowledge on the subject.If this were your rifle..what would you do regarding a Maccari or vortek(or others)tune up? Thanks in advance!

Rick

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Tony
(Login Trojan1994)
YF

If its shooting dead nuts accurate as is, I would not mess with it...

December 10 2010, 7:45 PM 

Tuning it can change what pellet it prefers as well as how accurate and/or hold sensitive it is.

If you do tune it, either kit shoots fine though I have been very impressed with the new Vortek Kits that I have in my RWS54, TX200, and RWS350.

I have JM parts in my HW97, R7, RWS36 and had them in a variety of other guns like RWS54s, 48s and others.

Regards,

Tony

Respond to this message   
Rick
(Login rsenn67)
YF

Velocity

December 10 2010, 10:43 PM 

Tony...which caliber of Mod 54 do you have? Did you test the velocity before having it tuned and after? Just curious what a vortek tuned 54 will do compared to stock numbers...Thanks

Rick

Respond to this message   
smith
(Login pa007gs)
YFOT

Vortek is my choice

December 10 2010, 8:13 PM 

Tom will get your power up to par and smoothout the gun , I have three done, rws 48 .22, rws. 34. .177, r-9 .20 all tuned by Vortek himself. You won't get it done any cheaper either

Respond to this message   

BBGun Bob
(Login reschlund)
YF

I own a old 48/52(1994)

December 10 2010, 8:15 PM 

It still shoots fine,but when it starts to slow down I will send it to Tom Gore(Vortex)send him a e-mail. vortek@vortekproducts.com
Explain what you want and ask for him to do a accuracy test when finished with the rebuild.
I have had the pleasure many times of shooting rifles Tom has done.Let me tell you he knows what he is doing!
I might also recommend you send it in two pieces,
Take the action out of the stock!
This will assure it a safe journey with little chance of a broken stock.
All of Vortex's work is guaranteed,so I wouldn't worry about anything changing in the accuracy dept..
You will however wonder if this is in fact the same rifle you once owned and shot for so long.
It will amaze you at how buttery smooth it is in both cocking and shooting.
While there ask him to do a trigger job also,you will not believe what a trigger job means until you try it.

Go For it!
You will not be sorry ! I Promise.

BBGun Bob
reschlund@wowway.com
S.E. Michigan

"Springers are neat,,One Shot One Bullseye"
But I'm starting to love a gas-ram better,Oh-O here we go again!

Respond to this message   
Rick
(Login rsenn67)
YF

Power up?

December 10 2010, 9:23 PM 

Thanks everyone for the quick replies...sounds like a vortek setup is the way to go.Can you specify a "power setting" when Tom does the tune? As I mentioned in my post I was hoping to get 900-950 fps with the 9.3 grain supermags...is this possible with the RWS 48 powerplant?
The gun does still shoot very well..no mechanical problems or accuracy issues.I was out on the deck the other day with my son shooting my 48 and he was shooting his Gamo varmint hunter...to my ear it sounded like his pellets were impacting the trap with much more force than the same pellets out of my 48.We were both shooting the crosman destroyer pellets...first time Ive noticed that with my 48.I dont have a chronograph to test velocity(its on the list)but wether its really slowing down or just me Ive always wanted to get it tuned.Ive got alot of memories tied to this gun and its one Ill never part with.Thanks again for the advice all!

Rick

Respond to this message   
The Verminator
(Login TheVerminator)
YC

Contact Tom directly and discuss your wants/needs with him...

December 10 2010, 9:28 PM 

He is very easy to do business with...

You'll love your gun even more after the Vortek treatment, believe me..TV

Respond to this message   

BBGun Bob
(Login reschlund)
YF

"As I mentioned in my post I was hoping to get 900-950 fps with the 9.3 grain supermags"

December 10 2010, 9:33 PM 

Don't ask here ask Tom!
Yes you will get that and more

BBGun Bob
reschlund@wowway.com
S.E. Michigan

"Springers are neat,,One Shot One Bullseye"
But I'm starting to love a gas-ram better,Oh-O here we go again!

Respond to this message   
VORTEKINC
(Login VORTEKINC)
YF

Re: RWS 48..to tune or not to tune....

December 10 2010, 9:54 PM 

Our test bed PG2-RWS48/.17 caliber tuned air gun yields a smooth 1040fps with JSB 8.4s. This equates to. 20ft/lbs of power. If math is correct, the 9.3g pellet velocity requirement you favor, should be effortlessly achievable. Guaranteed.
Tom Gore
Vortek

Respond to this message   
Rick
(Login rsenn67)
YF

Great news!

December 10 2010, 10:06 PM 

Thank you Tom for responding to my post...e-mail is on its way for more info, soon to be followed by my beloved model 48. happy.gif

Rick

Respond to this message   
eric
(Login talon24)
YF

i would leave it .....

December 11 2010, 5:51 AM 

i have a 0177 maccari tuned etc and had a 022 bone stock . both shot and shoot excellent out of the box . might become more pleasant to shoot after a tune but not more accurate imo

Respond to this message   
Bruce
(Login bruce.itterman)
YF

With the power change your gun might like different pellets.

December 11 2010, 8:23 AM 

Keep in mind your gun might like different pellets after you power it up.

I choose when I got the JM GSI kit about 10 years ago for my m48 to power down slightly. The combination of the tune and the nice tight spring guide totally transfored the gun. The old spring guide was so loose that the gun woudl jump left or right when I pulled the trigger. with the JM GSI and a slight power down it is so sweat!!! head shots on tree rats became possible out to 75 years!!!!

CPL were doing 980 at first
Crow Magnums were doing 930

Not sure what they are doign now but I expect it pickup a little bit as the guide wore in after shooting 10,000 of shots through it over the past 10 or so years.

One thing to note with a power up a .177 with light pellets might become even more inaccurate as they will possible start going super sonic. This will limit your pellet choices in the future.

Good luck and I am sure you will continue to enjoy your m48!

Bruce

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Traj Plot by RC    Airgun Calculators    number of fills Calc    cc gun volumes    Add your Pic

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.