<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Crosman 760 PowerMaster

December 20 2010 at 1:15 PM

(Login WildmanMick)
YF

I received my first air gun on Christmas of 1970 (maybe 69?). I remember it being a Crosman 760 PowerMaster (wood stock and forearm). I vividly remember it as being able to penetrate (BB) two clamped together NC car license plates.... the kind that would rust. A pellet would impact a blister the size of the end my thumb on the same target. I remember this gun having a pump maximum of 25 strokes in the manual. I understand that the inner pump of this early version was made of metal while newer models have plastic pumps. Has anyone here ever upgraded a new version with a metal pump? I would be interested in the details.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
DoogieB
(Login DoogieB)
YF

Memories are funny things...

December 20 2010, 4:20 PM 

Here's the manual for your old Powermaster:

http://crosman.com/pdf/manuals/C760SC-OM.pdf

Sorry, you were never supposed to pump it more than 10 pumps. That poor, poor quad seal. happy.gif

Except for the styrene stock, mine is like the one you remember:

[linked image]

Respond to this message   

(Login WildmanMick)
YF

Re: Crosman 760 PowerMaster

December 20 2010, 5:56 PM 

I will agree that my memory is not what it used to be. Having said that, (1) I do not believe that the attached manual is an exact copy of the (original?) manual that I received with my rifle. The attached manual has a statement at the end regarding products manufactured after July 4, 1975. (2) I know that I regularly pumped my old PowerMaster 20-25 times with 3 BBs loaded in the chamber. It hit my targets, usually birds and cottonmouths, with explosive power. I seldom missed. (3) I got the 25 pump maximum from somewhere...I guess I could have dreamed it.

Respond to this message   
karlw
(Login karlw)
YF

You are right, Mickey

December 20 2010, 6:03 PM 

I got my 760 around 1970 as well. I CLEARLY remember being able to pump the gun up to 20 pumps maximum. I also CLEARLY remember that the number of maximum pumps was greatly REDUCED in the 1980's, whether for good or for bad.

For any Naysayers, just check out page 111 in the Original Airgun Digest, in an article on the Crosman 760, written by Jim Dougherty. He references 20 pumps maximum, and that is EXACTLY as I remember my Dad instructing me, as a kid.

Respond to this message   

(Login WildmanMick)
YF

karlw

December 20 2010, 6:58 PM 

I remember it the same way. I may have been a little high with the 25 pump max but I know it was more than 10. I think that the reduced maximum was a result of changing the pump from metal to plastic. I also remember that the 760 PowerMaster was the most powerful airgun in the Sears Wishbook... Faster than 565 fps.

Respond to this message   
karlw
(Login karlw)
YF

Your memory serves you well

December 20 2010, 8:03 PM 

and like I said, the older Airgun Digest, seems to reflect that "20 pump" maximum too.

My Dad was a Mechanical Engineer and later worked for CCI Ammunition. I remember that he CLEARLY told me not to shoot my 760 at less than 3 pumps with a BB and a minimum of 5 pumps with a pellet. That said, I also remember him telling me NOT to pump it over 20 pumps and that article seemed to endorse that engineering spec.

The "old stuff" was good stuff, and cannot even be compared to "current" Chinese crap, unfortunately.

My old Model 760 was made of ONLY wood and metal, no plastic, period. It was better than good, but not great. In the Hardware Store classification of "good" or "better" or "best" it was clearly "better" and my Sheridan Blue Streak was "Best" at that time.

When I see the "current" model 760 Crosman, I simply want to throw it into the fireplace for kindling!

What else can I say?

Respond to this message   
Neal
(Login nokerson)

Bought mine in 1971-72

December 20 2010, 8:27 PM 

It listed a max of 10 pumps. Of course I considered 10 to be the minimum. Shot hard at 20!

Respond to this message   

(Login WildmanMick)
YF

Neal

December 20 2010, 9:03 PM 

Wood or plastic stock? I do not remember plastic as an option when I received my PowerMaster.

The manual from the Crosman website that is supposed to match the earliest version PowerMaster has a picture of the plastic version on page 2.

Respond to this message   

(Login DoogieB)
YF

Find the manual...

December 20 2010, 9:44 PM 

For the record, that picture I posted above is my childhood 1975 760 Powermaster that I STILL OWN and it shoots. Yes, it's all metal and a self cocker, like all of the 760's before 1977. I don't have the manual anymore, but the scanned one on Crosman's sight looks really familiar.

Find a 760 manual that recommends 20 pumps, scan it and then I'll believe it. I don't care what the "Airgun Digest" says. Sure, you can probably pump it 40 times as it has a "pop valve" so you can't pressure lock it, but it's still hard as hell on that quad seal for limited gain.

Screw it. M-ROD .25 ain't got nothing on me. I'm gonna pump my ole 760 up 50 times and shoot a hole right through my trap! LOL.

Respond to this message   

(Login WildmanMick)
YF

Re: Find the manual...

December 21 2010, 12:21 AM 

The manual attached to the first resonse was downloaded from the Crosman website. Look at page 2. You will see a picture of a 760 with what looks like a plastic stock (shape was different for wood stock). The bottom of page 5 shows a form that talks about warranty information after July 4, 1975. I believe that this manual was written for the third variant (1974-75, no earlier than the second variant (1971-74)) of the 760. I had a first variant (1966-70) 760. It was purchased from Sears. It had a wood stock and forearm. There was no plastic stock option.

Is it possible that the first variant had a higher pump maximum? I do not have a copy of the first variant manual so I can prove nothing. I can only say that I remember the maximum was at least 20 pumps and that the fps was higher than 565 for BBs. I am not trying to be a problem; I guess I am trying to find a 1966-70 manual so I can see if I dreamed this.

This message has been edited by WildmanMick on Dec 21, 2010 12:27 AM
This message has been edited by WildmanMick on Dec 21, 2010 12:25 AM

Respond to this message   
DoogieB
(Login DoogieB)
YF

Possible, but...

December 21 2010, 10:38 AM 

My 760 has no serial numbers, so right away it's before 7/75.

My 760 originally had the styrene forearm and stock, which makes it 1971-1974, or the variant right after the first with wood. Styrene is SOLID plastic, heavy and brittle so the forearm eventually broke into tiny pieces. A few years ago I replaced that broken forearm with a wooden one from that period.

This probably is a first variant, with some nice pictures.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=205384778

The only obvious difference between that 760 and mine is that the furniture and the bolt handle are different. Everything else is exactly the same.

Did Crosman change the internals from the 1st variant to the 2nd? I doubt it. I doubt the internals changed until they moved to the new valve. Remember, Crosman is pretty frugal and this was the budget gun. If anything had a 20 pump rated pump it would be the Sears 1400 I have, which was the cream of the crop at that time.

Respond to this message   

Mickey Edwards
(Login WildmanMick)
YF

"760 Variant History"

December 21 2010, 4:02 PM 

I found this somewhere awhile back...

Crosman 760 was manufactured from 1964 to 1991 in 8 variation's
Original 1964 model: Continuous wood stock & forearm Developed as "Canada Boy"

1st: Variant: Continuous wood stock & forearm. 1966-70, Name dropped.

2nd: Variant: Styrene stock & forearm with scope mount grooves, 1971-74

3rd : Variant: self cocking Styrene stock, wood forearm 1974-75

4th: Variant: ABS stock & forearm 1975-77

5th: Variant: manual cocking 1977-80

6th: Variant: plastic bolt 1980-83

7th: Variant: Plastic receiver 1983-91

8th: Variant: shorter barrel, pressed on sights 1991

{I have a nickle plated 40th Anniversary 760 PumpMaster (IMO misnanamed).} I guess this would be a 9th (2006) variant?

Respond to this message   

(Login WildmanMick)
YF

1968 Crosman PowerMaster 760 Manual

June 6 2013, 3:12 PM 

I was sent a pdf copy of the 1968 Crosman PowerMaster 760 Manual today (thank you Drew Fritts).

Page three:

The Powermaster 760 is a BB Repeater, Self-cocking, Pneu¬
matic pump action Rifle with a BB reservoir capacity of over
180 BBs plus an integral magazine with 18 BB capacity. It is
also designed for shooting caliber .177 Crosman Super Pells
as a single shot rifle. Low Power and High Power shooting is
attainable with a unique, easy, fast short stroke, high com¬
pression pump system. Two to three pumps is all that is
necessary for accurate shooting at velocities of standard BB
Rifles. NOTE: For target shooting, 3 pumps are recom¬
mended. Do not attempt to shoot with less than 2 pumps.
When longer distance and greater power are necessary for
field shooting, the gun may be pumped up to 25 times.
NUMBER OF PUMPS
Velocity (FPS)* 2 3 4 5 6 10 15 20 25
Feet per second 300 385 415 460 500 560 600 640 660
'Approximate average velocity

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Crosman 760 PowerMaster
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Traj Plot by RC    Airgun Calculators    number of fills Calc    cc gun volumes    Add your Pic

******** Buy 3rd/4th gen FX Pumps for Superior quality and unbeatable 5 year factory Warranty.********

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.