<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

RWS 34 Spring Lube (Noise Reduction)

March 3 2011 at 6:14 PM
  (Login Cucamonga91730)
YF

I have put about 300 pellets through my RWS 34 Pro and am very happy with it but would like to quiet the spring down some and reduce the twang.

I do not want to take it apart or send it for a tune, would it be practical to buy grease and apply it to the exposed spring with a brush? Would this be of benifit and work its way in?

What is the difference in available greases?

Suggestions?

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Mike melick
(Login mikeiniowa)

You can just squeeze spring tar in there but....

March 3 2011, 6:20 PM 

It's not the right way to go, just keep shooting the rifle, sooner or later it will calm down when the spring gets a bend in it....really should send it out and have the right work done on it for the best result sooner

mailto:flyingdragonairrifles@hotmail.com
Bestairgun.com

Respond to this message   

(Login Cucamonga91730)
YF

Re: You can just squeeze spring tar in there but....

March 3 2011, 6:23 PM 

Are you suggesting send it out even if I only want the spring tar or send it and have it tuned? Any recomendations on who to send it to?

Respond to this message   

(Login RBest)
YFOT

the problem with 'slot tuning'

March 3 2011, 6:53 PM 

is that the spring tar (or grease)doesn't just go onto the mainspring. Some invariably gets onto the outside of the piston; and depending on the grease- that's not desirable.
Let's get right to the heart of the matter: your desire to quell spring twang. A little grease applied unevenly on basically only about half the spring won't make much difference. The fact is that packing grease around the spring- even if you had the gun completely apart- wouldn't have the full desired effect. This is because springs vibrate because the factory guides fit the spring too loosely. The only way to stop it is to physically control the springs oscillations with a precisely fitted spring guide. The idea of controlling vibration with lubes only isn't only wrong headed.. it's darn near impossible! The result would be too much grease inside the piston, which slows the gun down AND makes the shot to shot consistency even more erratic.. which in turn can affect accuracy.
I've had customers come to me with their own home tunes complaining of the gun slowing down and their groups have opened up. The usual culprit is overlubing, so a tear down and grease removal is the first order of business.
Ultimately, there are no short cuts to getting good results. The best option is to do tune right and be done with it. Hope this helps. Russ

"The Universe is comprised mainly of two things.. hydrogen and ignorance."
John Dobson
Inventor, astronomer and metaphysical thinker.

Respond to this message   

(Login mikeiniowa)

Thank you Russ....

March 3 2011, 8:10 PM 

What I wanted to say but didn't know how to put it...guy wants the cheap way out and there ain't one

Bestairgun.com

Respond to this message   

Ds
(Login Dave-vabch)
YF

Only a Rich Man can go cheap

March 3 2011, 9:09 PM 

Only a Rich Man can go cheap is a quote that I live by. Send the gun off to a tuner, JM or Vortek kit etc. and just "do it".

Regards
Dave@vabch

Respond to this message   
SteveV
(Login stevevines)
YFOT

You can perform a "slot" lube, but if your gun has the TO5 trigger -

March 3 2011, 6:32 PM 

then it really isn't that hard to tear down. Remove the forend screws, then the rear trigger guard screw, and the action will come out of the stock. It is probably best to have a spring compressor, but if you use some common sense it's not absoloutley necessary. Remove the rear tube cover from the trigger block. Have a scratch awl or punch pin handy. Place the rear of the trigger block on the edge of a work bench or a wooden plank, apply downward pressure from the barrel just above the breech block, and on my 34, it was easy to push out one of the two drift pins. Now repeat, but very carefully as you will be all that's holding the gun together. I think most 34's do not have a great deal of pre-load from the factory, but there will be some. Now hopefully you will have some Maccari lubes on hand, or better yet, just drop in a Vortek kit.

HTH

Vines

Respond to this message   

RedFeather
(Login RedFeather)
YFOT

If you tear it down, yourself, BUILD A SPRING COMPRESSOR!!!

March 3 2011, 7:35 PM 

That spring is packed in there and contains a lot of energy. If it comes loose, it could cause serious damage and injury.

If you do try the infamous "slot tune", get some flat plastic packing tape - the kind that comes around large boxes and is waffle imprinted, maybe 3/8" wide. Cut a one foot strip and use it to judiciously push the tar around. It will wrap itself around the spring. Lets you apply only a little, which goes a long way.

The guys are right. Lube, alone, won't eliminate twang but even just lubing a spring will have benefits and tame it a bit. Especially Diana air guns which have been coming pretty dry these days. I would use JM heavy tar.

Respond to this message   
SteveV
(Login stevevines)
YFOT

Whatever nt

March 3 2011, 7:42 PM 

This message has been edited by stevevines on Mar 3, 2011 8:39 PM

Respond to this message   

(Login scott_RWS_48)
YF12

Re: Whatever nt

March 3 2011, 9:00 PM 

Don, there is no way around it. The spring twang you are describing will not go away. My sons 34 went through thousands of pellets without any improvement. I ended up going with a JM kit from Air Rifle Headquaters. Once installed (using a spring compressor of course) all the twang and vibration is gone and it is a pleasure to shoot. The factory springs these days on ALL springers suck no matter who the manufacturer is. My TX200, R1, and HW97 all needed home tune ups to be acceptable. Do what is necessary and install a quality spring.

Respond to this message   

(Login Cucamonga91730)
YF

Thanks for all the Advise!

March 3 2011, 8:50 PM 

After reading all the post and looking at the link that shows a breakdown using the woodworkers clamps I am sure I can do this. I am a little concerned when some say there is just a little pressure and others say there is a lot but it is objective and I realise different brand guns will not be the same.

JM sells the tar so I was thinking of getting a kit from them, it seems that both kits get very good reviews, any advantage one over the other. I dont think any tar comes with the kit so it would be easier to buy from JM.

Respond to this message   

(Login scott_RWS_48)
YF12

Re: Thanks for all the Advise!

March 3 2011, 9:05 PM 

The tar comes with the kit so no need to buy any. Just pick up a small tub of moly paste from JM for the backside of the piston seal. You should lightly lube this area. Vortek is also another good kit but they dont offer the moly for the back side of the piston seal.

Respond to this message   
Thomas
(Login TK171)
YF

For the break in period

March 3 2011, 9:25 PM 

You know, if you just want to calm the buzz down some, the slot tune isn't the worst thing you could do. Not nearly as good as a proper tube, but for a fresh factory (dry!!!) stock gun, it certainly won't hurt to make it a little more tolerable shooter for initial break in. Just go easy with the tar. Like moly, a little goes along way. Later on after you get a little more at ease with the rifle, and some research with the search function, you'll be ready to tackle the tune yourself. It aint rocket science either. There are some great aftermarket kits available so study up and learn your rifle. Have fun too!!! Build a spring compressor for a third hand, and make a set of drift pins. They both make the job a lot easier.

Theoben H.E. Gas Rams,..Shock the system!!!

Respond to this message   

(Login Cucamonga91730)
YF

What about lubing hinges and?

March 3 2011, 9:21 PM 

What other lubes should I get, I know never to lub the chamber.

Respond to this message   
Jim in SWMO
(Login jmhenrichs)
YF

All you should need...

March 3 2011, 10:35 PM 

is a little bit of tar and some moly paste for the internals. For the pivot points any good quality oil such as Rem Oil or Shooter's Choice FP-10 should be fine.

"You've come far, pilgrim."------"Feels like far."
"Were it worth the trouble?"----"Ah, what trouble?"

Respond to this message   

(Login mikeiniowa)

Don......don't goop the tar on.....

March 3 2011, 10:04 PM 

all that is a lube for the spring, if you bend the spring so it touches the piston and kind of binds on the guide the twang will be gone, not the right way to do it but it works...

Bestairgun.com

Respond to this message   

(Login scott_RWS_48)
YF12

Re: Don......don't goop the tar on.....

March 3 2011, 10:43 PM 

http://www.airrifleheadquarters.com/catalog/item/251488/2514146.htm

Just get this kit and pick up a small tub of moly paste. The moly paste is also highly recommended for the barrel pivot joint.

Respond to this message   

(Login Cucamonga91730)
YF

Decided to Order a Kit, Anything Else I should Get?

March 4 2011, 12:08 PM 

Ok, I am sold and will be ordering a kit from Air Rifle Headquarters along with some moly paste. Anything else I should concider getting from them while I am ordering?

Respond to this message   
Jim in SWMO
(Login jmhenrichs)
YF

Since you're ordering from JM...

March 4 2011, 12:22 PM 

might as well get an Apex piston seal at the same time. Never know if you need to change the factory seal or not. So might as well get one for it and then you'll have it if you need it.
http://www.airrifleheadquarters.com/catalog/item/251485/43075.htm

"You've come far, pilgrim."------"Feels like far."
"Were it worth the trouble?"----"Ah, what trouble?"

Respond to this message   

Jeff Marshall
(Login jmars)
YC

If you do decide to open up your gun, and want a low cost effective method.....

March 4 2011, 12:25 PM 

of getting rid of spring noise, do a "shrink tune" on the spring guide, and lube things properly. Guys on this forum have been using this method for years and years, but for some reason it is virtually never mentioned when a question such as yours is posted.

Some of my shrink tuned guns have shot cycles that are almost as smooth as my guns that have been professionally tuned. A couple of hundred guns could be shrink tuned for the price of one pro tune.

Do a search for "+shrink+tune", and you will find lots of posts on how to do it.

BTW, except for a hand full of gun models, I highly suggest using a spring compressor.

Jeff
Jeff Marshall

Respond to this message   

(Login Cucamonga91730)
YF

Re: If you do decide to open up your gun, and want a low cost effective method.....

March 4 2011, 12:29 PM 

In one post that was sent I see a large woodworking clamp was used as a spring compresser, I planned on getting one of these. Is there any need to hone or smooth out anything while the gun is apart?

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - RWS 34 Spring Lube (Noise Reduction)
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Traj Plot by RC    Airgun Calculators    number of fills Calc    cc gun volumes    Add your Pic

******** Buy 3rd/4th gen FX Pumps for Superior quality and unbeatable 5 year factory Warranty.********

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.