<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Swaging your own pellets

March 10 2011 at 4:36 PM

(Login Obturate)
YF

Has anyone used the Corbin dies to make their own pellets?
http://www.corbins.com/pellets.htm
I was wondering what weight the pellets are and accuracy results.
Thanks,
Dan

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login dt45acp)
YF

I been looking at those,

March 10 2011, 5:01 PM 

but before I plop out that kind of money (and I'm not saying I have that kinda money at the moment) I want to hear some feed back one them.

Respond to this message   
shootski
(Login shootski)
YC

If Pigs could fly...

March 10 2011, 5:30 PM 

How many pellets can you buy for the price of one pellet swaging set up. And, what if you don't like the result. More important what if your rifle/pistol doesn't

shootski

Respond to this message   

(Login Obturate)
YF

That's why

March 10 2011, 5:34 PM 

I'm asking.
Dan

Respond to this message   

(Login crgintx)
YFOT

Despite the cost

March 10 2011, 6:21 PM 

It will be way easier than casting .177 pellets. I have a LEM .177 pellet mould if I do everything right I can maybe cast 20 per hour. The mould has to be smoking hot to keep the lead flowing into the mould. I wished instead that I'd bought the .25 mould instead. It was a nice 2xRadius ogive in about 45 grains with two driving bands and a boattail base.

Respond to this message   

(Login -bp)
YF

hey carlos--are they as good as "store-bought"

March 10 2011, 9:46 PM 

pellets when you're done all that work?

what's that mold worth

i've never heard of it before

thanks

-bp

Respond to this message   

(Login 22MK1)
YFOT

It wouldn't take that many .457 pellets to be "rolling your own"

March 10 2011, 9:52 PM 

I couldn't see the practicality in .177, .22 or maybe even .25 but .30 and up.

Respond to this message   

(Login trekkerx)
YF

Going to try some Corbin Dies

March 10 2011, 5:40 PM 

I have some old Pelletman Pellets that he swagged & they shoot real good out of my Career guns both .22 &.25. I have been wanting to try swagging pellets to.I think you can use a regular reloading press with corbin dies but not positive.Corbin site is hard to navigate.I think I am going to try swagging this summer when its super hot outside.

Respond to this message   

(Login Voltar1)
YFOT

Here are some I make with a Corbin die in .25cal

March 10 2011, 6:48 PM 

[IMG][linked image][/IMG]

The lead wire is cut into short slugs, swaged in the Corbin die to produce a straight bullet.
I made a resizer die that reduces the forward section to a bore riding 0.250".
The bullets can easily be adjusted in weight from about 30 grains and up. The pic shows the 50 grainers that my Vulture shoots pretty hard happy.gif

Walter....

Respond to this message   

Yrrah
(Login Yrrah)
YFOT

Walter, those don't have the rear cavity that is shown in Dan's reference.

March 10 2011, 7:09 PM 

Can you make them with a rear cavity? That would reduce weight for any given pellet and would move the C of G forward to perhaps improve the drag dynamic stabilization effect.

Can you share any pics of groups shot at say 40 to 50 yards if that is not too much trouble? I do have a genuine interest of long standing ....... Kind regards, Harry. (Spelling edit).

Respond to this message   

(Login Voltar1)
YFOT

I'll check into that Harry. would only need to make a base punch to suit

March 11 2011, 12:28 AM 

I'll accuracy test them again when the weather breaks.
I did manage a 5 shot group at around an inch at 50 yards but I was going for big power and the recoil made the shooting most disconcerting.
Leaning over the hood of a truck is not all that conducive to tight groups happy.gif

I think the swaged bullets canbe well made if attention to consistent practice is maintained.
The ones pictured all throw near identical weights.

Walter....

Respond to this message   

(Login trekkerx)
YF

Re: Here are some I make with a Corbin die in .25cal

March 10 2011, 8:56 PM 

You wanna sell some of those pellets?

Respond to this message   

(Login trekkerx)
YF

you wanna sell some of those Walter?

March 10 2011, 8:58 PM 

My email is Trekkerx@yahoo.com I would love to buy some of those if your interested in selling some.

Respond to this message   

(Login lhd)
YF

Over the last couple decades,

March 10 2011, 7:16 PM 

Lots of folks have done this. You can make some really heavy pellets that retain energy well and penetrate like nothing else. But, to my knowledge, nobody has made home-swaged ammo that outperforms storeboughts accuracywise at regular airgun distances.

Respond to this message   

(Login unrepentantsinner)
YF

Corbin dies

March 10 2011, 7:37 PM 

I used Dave Corbins dies to make 22 bullets for the .223 and the 6mm for about 25 years, using empty 22 lr hulls as jackets, as parts wore out, Dave replaced them,often for free, he has incredible service.

This is an expensive and time consuming project though. You can use a Rockchucker press to swage them, I even had a set for 45 Colt, but that was the extreme limit for a reloading press.

I can't imagine shooting enough pellets to make it work with the press Dave sells, it is spendy. The lead wire will add to your expence, but makes things so much easier. Dave sells an adjustable core mold that will cast 4 at a time, it does not open as it is a cylinder with an adjustable plunger.

All the equipment is expensive, as to how it shoots, I don't have a clue about the pellets, but with his bullets in a Ar I won the State championship in 1981, they quite often shot 1/2 inch 100 yard groups.

Respond to this message   

(Login bandmiller2)
YF

pellets

March 10 2011, 8:24 PM 

I have done pretty much what the sinner has, it gets old fast.If you value your time and sanity buy the pellets.What you spend on dies will buy years worth of pellets.

Respond to this message   

(Login unrepentantsinner)
YF

Amen to that Frank

March 10 2011, 10:28 PM 

The jacket bullets took much longer because you had to cast a core, anneal the 22 hull, then swage off the rim, then swage it into the jacket and then put it into the point making die. The pellets are eiher a one or a two die set up. I had lever ejecters on all my dies, still it took an hour to make one hundred.

When Midway came along, I thought I had seen heaven, and for a man with a handle like mine that is saying something.

Respond to this message   
Joe H.
(Login Guthook)
YF

Re: Swaging your own pellets

March 10 2011, 11:02 PM 

Couple of things about corbin dies if you are planning on getting one.

First and formost make sure to get some chamber cast and cast the chamber and bore dimensions. These dies are custom made, take nothing for granted. Doing so will ensure your die will swage pellets your gun can actually shoot.

As stated above you can use a RCBS Rockchucker press but, the press is not designed for this type work, it is a slow and tiring process swaging pellets with one.

Last you can swage hollow base pellets with the right die, the die Mr. Glover used to cast the slugs shown is made to cast a Keith style bullet and is the least expensive die Corban sells or did sell. It has been awhile since I checked.

If you decide to get a hollowbase die make sure it will work in the Rockchucker press or plan on buying a RCE press as well. Not a bad investment if you have to buy the rockchucker anyway although it cost about three times what a rockchucker does. It will make swaging so much easier.

Hope this helps,
Joe

[linked image]

Respond to this message   

(Login trekkerx)
YF

How to chamber cast?

March 10 2011, 11:45 PM 

How do you go about chamber casting? I am highly interested in trying to swag my own pellets.I like the looks of Walters .25 pellets.I like the flat base as well because I have a .25 Career 707 & .22 707 & trying to feed a hollow based pellet is a pain sometimes,so the flat based pellets is what I`m after.Tell me about chamber casting!

Respond to this message   

(Login Guthook)
YF

Re: How to chamber cast?

March 11 2011, 12:48 AM 

You will have to go to Brownels or Midway USA web site to get the chamber casting materials. Then you basically you fill the chamber, throat, and some of the barrel with it. When it has dried you remove it and have a perfect casting to get your measurements from. It sounds hard but really is not bad, just follow the directions as they are written.

The die Walter has swages .257 diameter, unless he bought another one. I don't think they will work in your career without some major re-sizing. Seems like I remember the career bore being .250-.251 in the grooves. I used that die for a Quackenbush .25 caliber full size Outlaw rifle he made for me.

If I was going to have a die made again I would go with the step down die that basically swages the front part of the bullet to ride on top of the lands and the back 1/3 or so to engrave in the rifling.

Pelletman when he was in business made some nice swaged pellets that worked well in the Career rifles. I am sure he had them made by either Corbin or RCE, my guess would be Corbin. If you ask they may still have the diameters he used on file somewhere, worth asking anyway. Someone here might know pelletmans real name.

Another thing when pelletman went out of business he sold his equipment to Pyramidair, they may still have some of his dies again might be worth asking about.

[linked image]

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Swaging your own pellets
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Traj Plot by RC    Airgun Calculators    number of fills Calc    cc gun volumes    Add your Pic

******** Buy 3rd/4th gen FX Pumps for Superior quality and unbeatable 5 year factory Warranty.********

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.