<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

stripped grub screw

April 10 2011 at 8:27 AM
Jack  (Login Jack105)
YC

The screw on the end of my r9 muzzle brake is stripped. Any advice on removing this annoying screw?

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Dave Rose
(Login DRose)
YF

stripped grub screw

April 10 2011, 8:32 AM 

Try a torx head, may need to taper slightly and lightly tap in. A screw removal bit will work also. Dave

Respond to this message   
Jim in SWMO
(Login jmhenrichs)
YF

Another vote for the Torx bit.

April 10 2011, 9:40 AM 

I've had good luck using Torx bits to get stripped grub screws out. As long as the socket isn't stripped out too bad.

I've also had good luck with screw extractors. But sometimes finding one small enough can be a real pain. I have a set of spiral extractors that has worked for me.

"You've come far, pilgrim."------"Feels like far."
"Were it worth the trouble?"----"Ah, what trouble?"

Respond to this message   
Mike melick
(Login mikeiniowa)

A modified screwdriver might work....

April 10 2011, 8:33 AM 

use a straight blade and sharpen it and narrow it to slightly larger than the size of the wrench used to remove, kind of jam it in and hope it holds....wrench and JB weld might work also...

mailto:flyingdragonairrifles@hotmail.com
Bestairgun.com

This message has been edited by mikeiniowa on Apr 10, 2011 8:34 AM

Respond to this message   
DAN O/Daniel O'Malley
(Login DANULSON988)
YF

second the flat blade screw driver. need right size and jam it in. nt

April 10 2011, 9:25 AM 

nt

Respond to this message   
Randy Rees
(Login randyrees)
YF

Heat it up..

April 10 2011, 1:06 PM 

All of the above are good ways to remove the grub screw and if you heat the area just a little with a heat gun you might have some better results when you try to remove it.

Respond to this message   

Scot Heath
(Login ish00ttrap)
YF

Are the threads stripped or is it the "head" thats stripped?

April 10 2011, 1:31 PM 

Lots of advise for a stripped head recess, some might work. A left hand twist drill bit is a good option if it comes to that.

If it's the threads in the brake that are stripped, you'll need to drill out the hole and re-tap or install a threaded insert. If the brake is alloy, an insert may be a good option as the large surface area of the OD of the insert will do much better in the allow and the hard ID will not strip nearly as easily.

-Scot

Respond to this message   
Neil Clague
(Login neilclague)
YF12

Left hand drill bit might help

April 10 2011, 7:32 PM 

Restoring old cars I came across many totally stripped screws and bolts, there are left hand drill bit sets for this, they heat up the part as you drill it and they often come out without going to the next step of using the remover tool. Good luck, Neil.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Traj Plot by RC    Airgun Calculators    number of fills Calc    cc gun volumes    Add your Pic

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.