<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Hatsan 135 w/SAS & Quattro Trigger. REVIEW w/PICS

June 28 2011 at 11:01 AM
rod2311  (Login rod2311)
YF

Hi:

I bought this gun in February this year. It is sold here in Chile (South America) for a price that would "translate" to the USA, to something around $200 - $250 US dollars.

The model 135 is the wooden stocked version of the model 125 (powerplants are supposed to be the same, true?), which is known as the "Walther Falcon Hunter" in the USA.

The gun I got is the "newer" version, that has the "Shock Absorbing System" SAS and the Quattro trigger. It is in 22 cal. Here are some pictures.

General overview:

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

As you can see, the bluing is decent, and so is the wood. No luxury of any kind however... The tolerances wood-metal are good (good inletting). All in all it looks good!! I believe Hatsan configures the guns differently for different markets (muzzle brake, sights, type of wood, etc.), so a model 135 will probably look different in another country.

Here you see the cocking lever, which has a "curve" because of the SAS system:

[linked image]

[linked image]

The "SAS" system means that both stock screws go complete through the stock and "screw into each other". The goal is that recoil and vibration do not affect the screws so much, and it makes sense, because this way the screws have less degrees of freedom to move:

[linked image]

BTW, the SAS seems to work, because the stock screws haven't got loose as quickly as in other magnum airguns.

The open sights, with "truglo" fiber optics:

[linked image]

[linked image]

These sights are plastic. Cheap plastic, I should add. However, they did work decently and have not become loose with use.

The markings on the gun. They're just some kind of paint (?) or chemical treatment marked on the steel, no deep engraving:

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

Now let's see some nice details that I really liked.

The barrel bolt has a fixing-screw:

[linked image]

Look how the cocking lever attaches to the barrel-breech:

[linked image]

[linked image]

How do you call this? It attaches "with 2 layers of metal"(??). It's similar to the great old Diana's. In fact, the cocking lever is very tight, no floppy movement as found in most guns, even the expensive ones. I really liked the cocking lever configuration and its strength.

The scope mounting "facilities". It has a weaver type rail and also a standard 11 mm rail, with some stop-pin-holes on it. I mounted a scope using ultra low weaver rings:

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

The checkering on the wood:

[linked image]

[linked image]

I should say this is "cheap checkering. However, it does accomplish its duty perfectly.

Here you can see the barrel detent:

[linked image]

The trigger:

[linked image]

For complete details on the Quattro trigger unit, see here:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/79537/message/1301669829/Hatsan+Quattro+trigger+%28lots+of+pics-%29

The butt pad has a curious design (to reduce the felt recoil parhaps?). The gun is provided with extra spacers to make the pull longer if you want to:

[linked image]

Some pics. of the barrel:

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

It does look good (decent). I haven't checked if there's a choke, probably there's not.

Now the report. I have some other monster springers in the same class to compare: an UK Webley Patriot in 25 cal. and a Theoben Eliminator in 22 cal.

The gun is big and heavy. The Eliminator is less bulky and more slim (I love the Eliminator for this exact reason). But compared to the Patriot, the H135 handles and balances much better. The Patriot is as fat as a whale and horribly heavy and un-balanced in my opinion. The H135 is just OK...

About the trigger. The trigger on the H135 is pretty good. A trigger like this is a real blessing on a magnum gun in this class. I adjusted it following the general instructions and got a decent crisp release, not too light but OK. BTW I had to get these instructions from the Hatsan website, because the provided owner's manual copy was based in the older trigger. As an anecdote, once when I was chroning this gun, in a long and tedious session, I was thinking "Oh, this is a beast to cock", "Oh, the discharge is loud", "Oh, it's very twangy", and so on. Then I switched to chrony my R1, which has been fully tuned with JM internals, and of course, what a difference!! Like night and day. Cocking seemed childs-play, the discharge was smooth and quiet, with low recoil that felt ridiculous in comparison. But you know what???? I did not feel much difference in the trigger. And that says a lot.

As said, handling the gun at the beginning was rough. Very hard to break the barrel, heavy and crunchy to cock, loud and noisy to shoot, and jumpy. After some hundreds of shots things have became slightly smoother. But this is a super magnum gun and you will not find "refined manners" in this class, at least not in the out-of-the-box state. I knew that perfectly, so I was looking to test strictly its performance.

The general operation of the gun is perfect. Not a single flaw so far: the safety works as it should, etc. This gun is very tight.

About the power. Here are some chrony numbers:

Out of the box (pellet - fpe):
------
FTS 31.84
JSB Exact Jumbo Heavy 29.60
Kodiak 28.95

After about 200 hundred shots (pellet - fpe):
------
FTS 30.73
JSB Exact Jumbo Heavy 29.12
Kodiak 27.69

After about 500 hundred shots (pellet - fpe):
------
FTS 31.46
JSB Exact Jumbo Heavy 28.98
Kodiak 28.08

So, this is a true >30 fpe gun out of the box!!! That's good.

I mounted a cheap scope to begin accuracy testing. It is a bushnell 3-9 x 32 rimfire scope. BTW, this scope has served me well, it has resisted several of the worst spring-dogs you can imagine and has survived to this date. As said, I used ultra low profile weaver rings, and after about 400 shots, the scope/mounts seem not to have moved on the rails.

About the accuracy. These groups are at 25 yards. Groups of 6 shots each, the results shown are the CTC measures in inches. The pellet used was the JSB Exact Jumbo Heavy (18 grains), which proved to be the most accurate. This was done in 2 different shooting sessions. Please note: no group has been omitted!!

CTC
-----

As you can see, this averages about 1 inch CTC at 25 yards and is pretty consistent (std. dev.). Please read: this is in MY HANDS, be that good or bad. My Eliminator, in comparison, does about 0.8 inches CTC under identical conditions, consistency being the same.

So my final evaluation?? Well, after about 1000 shots, in my opinion, this H135 is a GOOD GUN.

Don't get confused. The better gun here is the Eliminator, no doubt about it. I love the Eliminator and consider myself a lucky guy to own one. However, I think the Eliminator surpasses this H135 only by a little margin. On the other hand, the H135 costs about 1/4 of the Eliminator, and it is a simpler spring-gun design (spares are simple and cheap), so the durability/serviceability factor could count too. The comparative evaluation is tricky...

To summarize: Thumbs up for Hatsan!!

Before this gun, I was for a long time pretty negative to this Turkish brand. Prejudice was built on many opinions found on the internet: horrid triggers, huge recoil, scope mounting being unsolvable, bad accuracy, and so on. I assume that all those reports were in fact true... But it seems that these Hatsan people have solved many of the issues, AND/OR I was lucky with the specimen I got, LOL!!

So I'll keep an eye on this brand, awaiting what else they have to offer...

Regards,

Rod.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

RedFeather
(Login RedFeather)
YFOT

Thank you for an excellent review!

June 28 2011, 11:15 AM 

And you pulled no punches. The Turks seem to have gotten busy lately constantly improving their products and incorporating some novel designs such as the SAS. (By the way, do you think it tamed any of the perceived recoil?)

Respond to this message   
rod2311
(Login rod2311)
YF

No, I don't think it reduces recoil...

June 28 2011, 6:15 PM 

But IMO it does indeed help solving the "loose screw issue".
Rod.

Respond to this message   

Willy
(Login willy1)
YFOT

Wow" great review" where did you get the gun? also

June 28 2011, 11:53 AM 

do you no anything about the Torpedo? under leaver? doesn't seem to be any distributors in the US for these guns.

system overloaded

Respond to this message   
rod2311
(Login rod2311)
YF

Willy, I got it here, in Chile!!!

June 28 2011, 6:18 PM 

I have hear mixed opinions on the Torpedo. Many say it is a more "complicated" gun that delivers no more performance than this model 135. Also, the Torpedo is only available with a synthetic stock here...
Rod.

Respond to this message   
Brian
(Login bsaade)

Excellent Review, well done and lot's of detail. nt

June 28 2011, 3:27 PM 

Respond to this message   
adcdam
(Login adcdam)
YF

rod im from Argentina can you email me? i have to ask you a few questions about airguns.

June 28 2011, 4:29 PM 

kind regards

Respond to this message   
rod2311
(Login rod2311)
YF

Dame tu direccion de email, o escribeme a esta...

June 28 2011, 4:46 PM 

rodavilabo

en

yahoo

punto

com

Respond to this message   
Dave Dunn
(Login daved20319)
YFOT

EXCELLENT REVIEW! Thank you!

June 28 2011, 7:01 PM 

I'm definitely NOT a magnum springer guy, and the only Hatsan I've owned to date was a Hammerli Pneuma PCP. But this gives me hope about some of the more mild mannered Hatsans, now if we could only get a full line importer/distributor in the States. The only ones we can get here are rebadged under someone elses name, no actual Hatsan branded guns are available at all. Too bad, there are at least a couple in their line that I'd like to get my hands on. Again, great review. Later.

Dave

Respond to this message   
Ed Krzynowek
(Login ekmeister)
YFOT

Nice Report--I Wouldn't Mind Tinkering With One

June 29 2011, 3:57 AM 

It sure sound like it was made for .25 caliber, since it puts-out that much FPE in .22 caliber.

Hatsans have always been shorted on the hi-quality lubrication side, so some moly lube on the piston and a few other places might help a lot--plus some tar(s).

The checkering seems to show room for easy improvement by an owner--that's all I'll say for now.

Even the UK-Webleys were especially hard to break open and that could be remedied, so it may also be true of that rifle.

The trigger looks and sounds worth a closer look--if not ideal, some stoning and relubing could make a nice difference.

If accuracy isn't great, the finish on the barrel crown is one area in which cheaper guns often get overlooked. If that's the case, much better accuracy could be only 30 minutes away.

Like I said, I hope I get to see one someday. There might be a really-nice rifle in there (or not), under the chaff, grit, and stamping marks.

Again, thank you for the nice report.

Happy Shooting!

Ed, The Airgun Tune-Meister

edward73@sbcglobal.net

"We can rebuild the squirrel. Make him stronger, faster...We have the technology"---Skyler M.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Traj Plot by RC    Airgun Calculators    number of fills Calc    cc gun volumes    Add your Pic

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.