<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

Worlds Benchrest, is there a list for equipment, pellets, rifle and barrels? Scopes?

August 2 2011 at 11:50 AM
Glover, Walter  (Login Voltar1)
AR&P

Curious to know what fared well and how the ST barrels performed as well as the SST BR barrels.
What pellets perform best at this level of accuracy and power(s)?

TIA

Walter....

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Chip Smith
(Login csdilligaf)
YC

HV winner from Dan Brothers link below

August 2 2011, 1:32 PM 

Rig used by Todd Banks. Dan, I see you said borrowing a pic would be ok, If not still the case please let me know. And thanks for all the great pics. You must have been busy but it sure is a great album of the event.
[IMG][linked image][/IMG]

This message has been edited by csdilligaf on Aug 2, 2011 2:13 PM

Respond to this message   
BRIng
(Login BRIng)
YF

HV

August 2 2011, 2:37 PM 

The HV was built by me and is a Gorden Dawson receiver and internal parts and a Dawson trigger with a adjustable air stripper of my build . The wood work is one off by hand by me . The barrel is a USA made .22 rim fire bench rest barrel . The scope is a Weaver T36 . The rifle is custom and not connected with any rifle manufacture .

Respond to this message   
oldgoat
(Login oldgoat1)
YC

.22 rim fire bench rest barrel

August 2 2011, 3:37 PM 

BRIng, what is the OD of that barrel? Who would I contact to buy one?

Please reply here or email me.

Have Edguns, Will Travel.

Respond to this message   
Glover, Walter
(Login Voltar1)
AR&P

Thank you Rick, more info on barrel and pellets please?

August 2 2011, 3:44 PM 

would this barrel be a 2 groove taper lapped SST unit?

Congratulations on a great accomplishment

Walter...

edit: thought it was Todd but Rick instead happy.gif

This message has been edited by Voltar1 on Aug 2, 2011 6:31 PM

Respond to this message   
BRIng
(Login BRIng)
YF

Rick Ingraham - Gorden Dawson

August 2 2011, 6:15 PM 

I built the rifle but Tod and I shoat it . I think it is a Benchmark . It was loaned to me by a friend . They have been available ( if you can get one )to rim fire shooters for 4-5 years . The 3 grove is used more but the one I got put the rifle over weight and I did not have time to mess with it before the Worlds . I and Tod used JSB Jumbo Express with SPL lube .

Respond to this message   
Glover, Walter
(Login Voltar1)
AR&P

Thank you Rick, sorry about the post above :)

August 2 2011, 6:29 PM 

is this Benchmark barrel a three groove? is it choked at all?
I'll do some searching for these now. Thank you.

Well done there!

Walter.....

oh yes, is the rifle regulated? if so does it have a favorite pressure?

Cheers,

Respond to this message   
Paul Bendix
(Login ModelA3)

Dawson/Benchmark/Weaver

August 2 2011, 6:04 PM 

Rick Shooting the gun he put together from borrowed parts for the World's.
I took the 30 inch Benchmark barrel off my USFT that shoot good at 30+ fpe but so/so at 20 fpe. Machined it for one of my Theoben's. Had to shortened it 3 inches, Then machine it to fit a Rapid. Let Rick use it for the Worlds.
He had to modify it as the barrel mounting is longer than a rapid.

Great shooting Todd and Rick

Paul

Respond to this message   

Dan Brother
(Login DanBrothers)
YF

Rick and Todd are Great Guys....

August 3 2011, 12:38 PM 

I rolled into the range early Sunday morning... and Rick and Todd were about the only ones there... getting it together.. and making strangers like myself feel welcome... told me stories of yesterday's events... and about their hopes for the day with their shooting machines... if I'd had known they were so famous in the air rifle world... I would have gotten their autograph... Oh well.. at least i got their pictures and email...

thanks Rick and Todd... Great Shooting... a Talent to be Proud off...

Respond to this message   

Dan Brother
(Login DanBrothers)
YF

borrowing pics is OKAY

August 3 2011, 10:34 AM 

this is Rick's rifle... what a beauty... I would have loved to have shot it... maybe in the future....LOL

Respond to this message   
William Piatt
(Login saddlemountain)
YC

As stated there was no equipment list

August 2 2011, 7:20 PM 

Bottom line was if you had an accurate gun it was all up to reading the wind. Out of 150 record shots I think maybe 5 were held "dead on". I used a EV2 in the LV class. A shred of lead in the air stripper lost me 9 points on the first target when a sighter went into the record targets. That after over 2000 trouble free practice rounds. In the HV I used a home built FX gun with a .177 smooth twist barrel. The gun was capable of perfect scores with JSB heavies, but I was not. My tests show .22 cal has a superior BC if accuracy can be obtained at the required power limit. .150" in wind drift at 10 mph @ 90* makes a difference. What was evident was the airguns were way behind the rimfire in development. Todd Banks with rimfire experience dominated the match with borrowed equipment. I know there will be crossover to AG from RF because RF guys were thinking the LV champion, Dan Brown, did not even use a front rest! To compete at elite levels in RF requires 25K in ammo/yr compared to $500 in pellets.

FX T12 with regulated air tank and ST barrel with CF sleeve in .177 used due to lack of time to develop a proper .22 cal. Excellent accuracy.

EV2 benchrest prepared with receiver brace and BR accessory attachnents.

I have had Leupold, Weaver and Sightron and found all acceptable scopes at 25 meters.

This message has been edited by saddlemountain on Aug 2, 2011 7:22 PM

Respond to this message   

Donovan Taylor
(Login jamdon)
YC

I love your ingenuity with your EV2. I have......

August 2 2011, 10:10 PM 

an EV2 that I was just contemplating to sell because I have two other rifles that I use for FT. After following the action of this past weekend, I am now interested in trying my hand at bench rest shooting. Have you done any internal modification to you EV? I like the way you have inverted the cheek piece post to flatten the base of the butt stock. Did you notice a distinct difference in performance after installing the receiver brace? Thanks in advance for your response.

Life is short...slow down and enjoy
http://www.activevacuums.com

Respond to this message   
William Piatt
(Login saddlemountain)
YC

Donavan

August 2 2011, 10:57 PM 

AA really has the 12 fpe range down pat. I did not do any internal mods. The chrony showed excellent consistency with the JSB heavies the gun liked. I did not have time to properly test before and after accuracy with the receiver brace. I do know that the final product was capable of perfect scores if I did my part. I shot several 249s in practice. The factory EV2 has the barrel attached to the air tube. I removed the barrel attachment and the free floated barrel moved to the left considerably. Also in my opinion it appeared the receiver was not beefy enough to properly support a free floated barrel, hence the factory brace? No other EV2 was braced at the Worlds and many placed above me. I did lose 9 points due to a air stripper issue where a pellet went from the sighter stray 3" into a record target. I removed the stripper, re-zeroed, and finished the card with no other problem. No alibis here, Dan shot a record 250 with an EV2 in tough conditions. He da man! BTW EV2 were a popular choice in the 12 fpe class, many competitors shooting them in the 20 fpe class the next day too.

This message has been edited by saddlemountain on Aug 2, 2011 10:58 PM

Respond to this message   

Donovan Taylor
(Login jamdon)
YC

William, thanks for the response. I am glad that you mentioned JSB

August 3 2011, 6:43 AM 

heavies. I was assuming that you would be shooting the lighter pellets in a 12fpe gun like we do in FT. I ordered a Weaver T36 scope and a set of BKL mounts. Once I get the scope mounted I will start shooting and see where I go from there. Did you "bend" back the barrel to the right? I once attempted to free float my barrel and I noticed that it dropped down on to the ring (I have read other accounts of the barrel shifting upwards after being free floated). To free float it I would have had to some how adjust the barrel up or shave away some of the metal in the area of the ring that is under the air stripper. I did neither and just reattached the stripper to the ring. I have always wondered, "Why would the manufacturer not free float a barrel if indeed it has been proven to be more accurate in that configuration?" I am sure that this question has been asked and answered before.

Thanks in advance.

Life is short...slow down and enjoy
http://www.activevacuums.com

Respond to this message   
William Piatt
(Login saddlemountain)
YC

No, I just let the barrel float

August 3 2011, 8:33 AM 

My point was the factory barrel to tube attachment had the barrel under stress.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

Airgun Calculators    Num of fills calc    Capacity Calc

******** Kalibrgun High quality, superb Accuracy, outstanding Value. ********

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.