<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Hammerli Pneuma Elite 10

August 10 2011 at 1:41 PM
Casey  (Login rualert)
YC

So, I'm considering one of these, anyone have a review of this gun, as there seems to be a lack of reviews. I did search here, and found a couple of good comments, but no full run through. So anybody have one, and how is the build, functionality, grouping, performance. You know the basics before one spends their cash on it.
Thanks in advance,

Casey

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

JohnnySweden
(Login JohnnySweden)

Not very good....

August 10 2011, 1:47 PM 

Fit and finish on a poor chinese level, steel tubes prone to rust, very agricultural to operate, quite good accuracy, cheap to buy. Some are better some are worse.

They are sold in large numbers here in Europe under the Hatsan AT-44 brand, go for the BT-65 instead. They have LW barrel and alu alloy tube.

http://airpang.bloggplatsen.se/

Respond to this message   
robert
(Login gubb33ps)
YF

Sounds like somthing I'd like...

August 10 2011, 2:10 PM 

... but am not really into repeaters; prefer single shots.  But smoothing one out, getting the rough edges off, and fiddling around with it for consistency and accuracy sounds like it might be a good project for the fall.

Respond to this message   
Glover, Walter
(Login Voltar1)
YFOT

You would love these rifles.

August 10 2011, 2:15 PM 

mine is indeed the single shot and contrary to Johnny Sweden the rifle is well finished and very well made.

Get the AT44 single shot with a walnut stock, Fantastic bargain!

Walter....

[IMG][linked image][/IMG]

Respond to this message   
robert
(Login gubb33ps)
YF

Looks like I'm going to find out.

August 11 2011, 5:37 PM 

One coming from the classifides... had a shortage of .177 rifles and an abundance of pellets, so belive this will eventually even things out.

Respond to this message   
Glover, Walter
(Login Voltar1)
YFOT

I have the Hatsan AT44 in .22cal and absolutely LOVE it

August 10 2011, 2:10 PM 

very well made, good fit and finish and accurate! loves JSB pellets both 16 and 18 grainers. Does pretty good with Crosman Premier HP from the tin as well.

IMO it is a great value especially at about one third the cost of the airgun they 'resemble'.

Like mine well enough to get a second in .25 cal ordered, paid for and should get it mid September.

Will get a pic of a sweet 25 yard group from yesterday.

Walter....

Respond to this message   
Paul
(Login h2rider)
YF

Worth a look

August 10 2011, 2:48 PM 

I have a Hatsan At44W (the Pneuma is the same gun w/a synthetic stock and a different name) in 25 caliber; I prefer the single-shot also. The stock is as well finished as a Katana or Mrod and the blued metal work is definitely better. The receiver is not steel and is not quite as well done as the barrel, but is not bad.

Accuracy is excellent with ammo it likes. The trigger is not in the same class as the Mrod but the current triggers are pretty decent - better than Gamo or Chinese springers.

I cannot comment on the quality problems with guns in Europe but the ones being sold in the USA now are well made, especially for the cost.

Paul in Liberty County

Respond to this message   
Glover, Walter
(Login Voltar1)
YFOT

Paul, is yours a Quattro trigger?

August 10 2011, 3:01 PM 

mine is so find it quite good.

Walter....

Respond to this message   
Paul
(Login h2rider)
YF

Probably...

August 10 2011, 3:41 PM 

I got it just this May, so it should be a Quattro trigger. Definitely different and better than my HaleStorm from two years ago.

Paul in Liberty County

Respond to this message   
Glover, Walter
(Login Voltar1)
YFOT

Paul, it will be decent if you back off the weight screw

August 10 2011, 4:45 PM 

I backed mine off to the point it will still reliably reset to first stage.
Did with the stock off so progress is observed in the trigger sear window. Backed it off about
2.5 turns and quite happy with it. Very nice two stage trigger.

Running it with about 1 turn of hammer spring adjustment where the chart was done with 4 turns.

Walter....

Respond to this message   
Graham
(Login Cupillac)
YF

It is a decent rifle

August 10 2011, 3:09 PM 

Good rifle for the money but overall quality is what you would expect for that price.

Respond to this message   
Casey
(Login rualert)
YC

RE: Hammerli

August 10 2011, 4:00 PM 

I greatly appreciate the feedback. I am still interested in the repeater, as I have several single shot rifles, and have yet to own a repeater. This just seems like a value when compared to the M-Rod, but again I have not owned one of those either. Currently have several Crosman 22xx builds, a Gamo, was my starter gun, and my current favorite a 22 cal Talon SS. So again thank you for all the comments, and please any others who would like to chime in please do.

Casey

Respond to this message   
David S.
(Login DavidS-Elite10)

The Hammerli Pnuema & Elite 10

August 10 2011, 7:25 PM 

Hi Casey,
As I write I'm waiting for Fed-X to deliver mine so I'll be able to give a more detailed report.

From everything I've seen and read these are a very nicely made rifles as well as being very accurate.

I chose the Elite 10 in .177 to have a flater shooting rifle along with the multiple follow-up shots as needed or desired.

I bought mine from Pyramid Air as they had it in stock along with 10% off or free shipping so I chose the money off which worked out well. And shipping to Calif. was only $21.00.

Pyramid Air also has some very nice pictures of the various aspects of the rifle
to allow you to see it quality. Even if the receiver isn't Steel, alloy Aluminum can still be as strong as steel.

I just received it at 4:20Pm but need to the hospital as it seems this is the end for Mom.

I'll write more later.

Respond to this message   
Rualert
(Login rualert)
YC

RE:

August 11 2011, 2:11 PM 

Thanks, looking forward to your update. My condolences to you regarding your mother.

Casey

Respond to this message   
David S.
(Login DavidS-Elite10)

Your thought!

August 12 2011, 1:09 AM 

Thanks Casey,
She did pass away at 4:00Pm on Wednesday the 10th, it had been a hard struggle for her and I did get to talk with her a bit the day before when I got the initial call. The hospital is 36 miles away so it's a bit of a run.

Respond to this message   
Al
(Login AllardV)
YF

re: Hammerli Pneuma Elite 10 .22

August 11 2011, 2:57 PM 

I have had mine for a few weeks, still have the open sights on it.
Expectations were very modest, given the price. But those expectations have been met and exceeded.
The fit and finish is much better than reviews of the single-shot led one to believe.
Metal magazines, serviceable construction, no leaks, action is smooth enough, the trigger is better than many. A few hundred shots will smooth things up further.
Now, I havent shot it a lot yet, but, heres what I have so far;
.22 Crosman Premiers are shooting about 990fps, even with the open sights I can pretty much hit what I aim at, 10M, unrested. Thats pretty good for me.
The rifle is balanced toward the barrel, but for some reason, that really helps my offhand shooting. I'm surprised that the plastic stock feels natural and pointable.
Its got kind of an M-16 feel to it. Thats the first rifle that I learned to shoot, so this one kind of feels right at home. Once a scope is mounted Ill be able to check the accuracy. Planning on dialing it down to 23-25 ft/lbs and shooting a couple of old boxes of vintage CPs.
At this point though, = recommend.

Respond to this message   
David S.
(Login DavidS-Elite10)

Re: Hammerli Pneuma Elite 10

August 13 2011, 6:14 PM 

Ok Casey,
As has been stated by Al, the rifle is very nicely made the action is blue-black and polished and the Barrel and Air Cylinder are a Satin finish which is fine for me as I like it better as it doesn't reflect as much light. I may wind up spraying mine a Camo anyway.

The barrel mics out at .546.5 about 12" from the front and directly in front of the front sight is .508 so for the .177 or even a .22 there is plenty of strong steel left all around the bore making it quite substantial.

Also what these dimensions might help is to allow a mussel break that is meant for the Hammerli 850 to be fit onto this barrel by using an internal threaded sleeve to be threaded on in place of the front barrel thread cap so that the mussel break will slide over it some snugly and clamp on to it and centered.

The lans and groves seemed to be finished off very nicely giving the bore a fair polish to it.

The front fiber optic sight is adjustable for elevation and the rear fiber optic 'U' blade has one light green dot on each side of the rear blade. The only thing I don't like about it is the top edge of the U forms too much of a right angle and I planing on putting a chamfer on the top edges.

I removed the Air Cylinder and checked the trigger as they say to but left mine as it was set as it seemed to be just right for me as it has short bit of travel and then just a slight bit of pressure is required and it trips, which is how I like it. The pull weight seemed to be good also and just heavy enough as set, at least for me! I don't like a rifle or any gun to have a hair trigger.

I did use some FP-10 on the cocking lever pivot joints and the brass slide that pushes the pellet into the pellet into the breach which seemed to free things up a bit more but it was fairly smooth as received.

*>>There a coupe of things with this rifle to be cautious about that I've found need our attention!

1. The cocking lever can be pulled back twice loading two pellets, which I've already did, and had to use a my .177 cleaning rod to tap them back out of the breach area as I caught myself loading twice. Not good. The side lever takes a little bit extra pull beyond a 90* position to cock the rifle and set the auto safety which is a convenient thumb slide on the back of the of the action that get pushed back with the cocking lever to set it but is easily returned to the off position as the rest of the mechanism returns to a forward position as the next pellet is pushed into the breach.

2. The next thing is the scope rails, at least the 11 mm ones are too close to the the receiver to allow the Leapers larger clamping base section to fit under it completely but they still grabs hold and does clamp down but there could be a bit more height there. To mount a scope on the action requires High
Rings for the scope to clear the front sight, that are not too thick in their front to back dimension especially if attempting to mount one in front of the pellet cylinder as there is limited space and the next grove is too far back to easily mount two rings but it can be done but another grove on the receiver farther forward on the back section would have been great.

I've just come up with a couple of ways to correct the ring problem:
As far as the Leapers thick locking base slider I'll bet it could be ground off with a Dremel tool or grinding wheel on the under side to allow it to fit in deeper and let the the ring settle a bit more?

As far as the base being too wide front to back to fit in front of the pellet cylinder there again it could be ground down a bit to relieve it so the cylinder would have room to rotate. Problems solved!

The ridged Pellet Cylinders are all metal except for the 'O'ring retainer that fits around the depressed middle of them to hold the pellets in place so it won't fall out which is a unique way of doing that.

The front face is flat to butt against the back of the breach and on the middle of the back of the cylinder is a protruding bulge that fits into a slot on the back of the action to guide the cylinders into place when slide in. Also there is a bit of spring tension to aid in popping them out.

The Stock has a adjustable, up or down, butt pad which is a great asset as it allows positioning of the rifle into a comfortable and natural position by a simple Allen bolt in the center positioning area of the butt pad which allows it to slide or tightened fast and doesn't take much force to do it either.
That's one of the first things I adjusted so as to have an easy natural line of sight when the rifle is shouldered or even shooting from a bench rest or any other type of rest your shooting position is important to be as comfortable and as natural as possible. Breathing and trigger squeezing they leave up to the shooter!

The synthetic stock is really IMHO quite a nice design even though it may appear odd in some of the photographs. It has a nice checkered pistol grip that is already a bit fatter in the palm section and very comfortable
and easy to hold onto being in a partially vertical position.

The forearm is not checkered but also a very slight bit textured surface and has a flat target/varminter base to it as well as being bulged out a bit on both sides near the base to give it a very nice comfortable and secure hand hold with little effort.

Being flat on the base also makes for an easy installation for a Bipod mount but by all means if your going to do that be sure to get a Bipod that allows for easy vertical correction to make minor vertical alignment adjustments for sighting as the feet most generally on uneven geound don't correct exactly as may be required. So you want a tilting type of connection which
usually works off the front sling stud which will have to be installed in the stock but that should be a simple matter to drill a hole just slightly bigger than the center shaft of the stud screw between the threads. I'm not sure of a number at the moment but Caldwell make a very nice one that doesn't cost and arm and a leg.

So that's it for now until I take it out and get it sighted in which I may do today if the temp isn't too hot? Oh, Btw, I did shoot [9} Gamo Magnum 7.56grn pellets out of it the other early evening at an Oak tree about 125ft away and this air rifle sounded just like a .22 rim fire going off, at least from the shooters position and seemed to hit the oak tree in short order with a fair wapp too. So it a very powerful rifle and precautions need to be taken as to the back stop or where the pellet might land if shooting at a bird in a tree or on a utility pole.

All in all it seems like quite a rifle with a couple of errors that aren't too bad but a lot of stron points.

Respond to this message   
Rualert
(Login rualert)
YC

RE:

August 15 2011, 12:31 PM 

Thank you Dave, this was very informational, and I now believe some group pics will be all that's needed to finish me off! I have pretty much decided that this will be my next purchase, and all the great feedback from everyone has been most helpful. Again, thank you for all who have given their feed back, and opinions, as I have come to trust the feed back I read here. Some of the reviews, and comments were also what prompted me to move forward with the purchase of my Talon SS. The Talon I have been very pleased with, and have not regretted that purchase in any way. I also lurked on the Talon board, but obviously took the reviews from everywhere to have a wide picture. Thank you all, this is a great place for the airgun community, and a wonderful resource for everyone involved.

Thank you Steve for providing a place for us all to enjoy, and learn.

Casey

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Traj Plot by RC    Airgun Calculators    number of fills Calc    cc gun volumes    Add your Pic

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.