<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

All summer with my Puma Innova

September 1 2011 at 6:45 PM

(Login cole5169)
YFOT

I've been overdosing on multi-pump pneumatics for the last couple of years, and I just wanted to acknowledge one of the most enjoyable in my stable, the Puma Rifles Innova. Puma makes several models which copy the excellent Japanese Sharp pneumatic rifles which are now, sadly, no longer in production.

[IMG][linked image][/IMG]

There it is. Man, that's so ugly, it's almost . . . elegant?

Well, kind of, actually. This particular rifle cost me all of $85 a couple years ago -- and that included shipping to my door -- so it gets kudos for being affordable. It's lightweight, weighing an all-day-easy 4 lbs, 10 oz (2.1 kg). And it's nimble and "pointy", since it's only 35 and 3/4 inches long (by comparison, a Daisy Red Ryder is 36 inches overall). It's also pretty quiet, even with a lot of pumps.

So, it's cheap, it's lightweight, it's tiny and quiet. Is it a kids' gun? Not really.

See, the Innova has an adult-scaled stock, with a length of pull of 14 inches. It won't win any awards for Most Beautiful Stock, and it is completely hollow, but it does have a fitted rubber buttpad and a pistol grip cap, both with white line spacers. Both the pistol grip and pump handle portions of the stock are nice and full, for adult hands.

And if the stock doesn't put it squarely in the older-teen-to-adult camp, the Innova has a big pump tube, about 0.94 inches in OD. That's roughly the same dimensions as the tube on a Benjamin 392/7, give or take a few thousandths. (In fact, when fully open, the Innova and my 392 LE have identical geometry, when looking at the orientation of the pump lever to the tube) Add a long stroke, and you get a lot of swept air, building pressure quickly. And that takes some muscle. In fact, anything over 4 pumps is a bit of a workout.

And all that air will really move the pellets downrange. With 10 pumps, the Innova will generate 13 fpe with a 7.4 grain pellet.
By comparison, my Remington Airmaster 77 will generate 7.5 fpe with the same pellet and 10 pumps; a Crosman 760 can hit 6 fpe (with pellets).
(It's not a fair comparison, but that Daisy Red Ryder, even though it's a half inch longer than the Innova, will only hit 1.4 foot-pounds -- with 5.1 grain BBs...)

One other thing I like: the piston stroke is adjustable. Finally!
It's not easy to see in the picture above (I circled it in orange for you), but the pump piston rod is threaded into the brass pivot and locked with a hex nut. This allows you (me...) to make small adjustments to the length of the piston. (in my case, I had to, as it came to me slightly too long, and was hard to close!)

The trigger directly dumps the valve similar to the way the old Crosman 1300 Medalist and similarly valved pistols and rifles used to work. The difference is that with my old Crosmans, the more you pump, the harder the trigger is to pull. With my Innova, that isn't the case. Whether it's holding one pump, or ten, the trigger on this Puma feels the same. It's single stage, and only has adjustment for pre-travel, but it is light and smooth and works great.

The bolt is spring loaded and presses forward from the very back of the receiver. The bolt release (indicated by the orange arrow, above), when pressed, lets the bolt snap back (... strongly enough to jiggle the elevation adjusting screw on the rear sight, actually. I hold the bolt in with my thumb and ease it back after tripping the release). For easier loading, there is a "scoop" molded in the breech, and a little rounded shelf, or trough, to set the pellet in, before rolling it into the loading channel. I'm not explaining it well, but let me just say, from my experience, this is easier to load than any of my other pump rifles (unless they use clips, like the Daisy 853C and 953 ... love me those clips!).

In this close-up on the breech, you can just see the conical tip of the bolt probe. The "scoop" in the side of the receiver is easy to see, but this illustrates the "trough" a little better. In this pic, it looks like a pellet would roll right out of that, but trust me, they don't.

Also in this photo, you can see the rear sight... Sigh...
I'm not too impressed with this sight, it is hard to adjust with any precision (for windage), and the elevation adjustment is very easily disturbed. It's simple, though, and it works: with 4 pumps, rested, and using the factory peep sights, I can regularly put 10 pellets ( The Peak domes ) in a 1/2" group at 20 meters.

The front sight is a hooded post, and is molded from the plastic that makes up the endplug of the pump tube, barrel, and shroud. It's serviceable, and the hood is the right scale for the peep aperture (for once...).

This "endplug" assembly molding also includes a threaded muzzle (clockwise threads, and I think it's 1/2" x 20, don't trust me too much on that though) for adding a muzzle brake. I was actually pretty excited about this feature before I took delivery and saw how delightfully short the Puma is; after that, I never was tempted to add any thing to the muzzle.

Of all my pumpers at the moment, this one has been getting the most attention this Summer. Probably because it is so simple; I mean, I don't have scope to adjust, I don't have to be extra careful transporting it (in fact, I'm not very careful with it at all...), it shoots great, and it's just fun.

And I said it was cheap, right? Yeah, that helps, too.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login windygap)
YF

Like mine too ...

September 1 2011, 7:14 PM 

I'm lovin mine too. Sure there are some cheap aspects compared to the ol Japanese guns., and its all plastic , cheap sights , but a great price for what you get.

I couldn't stop grinning , from the first time I shot it.....I'm like dang !!

But, as you pointed out it has one thing it does as well as the old gun or better....thats packs one whale of a punch. It is a first class varment exterminator.

The Puma Innova maybe inexpensive and cheap, but it is most powerful of this type airgun I've owned .

I would NOT recomend this gun for youth. But, used careful and not abusing the gun with ruff handling, and over pumping ( I've read several reports of the gun not surviving long when pumped above 10 pumps)...I think it is a wonderful old school gun.

It is very hard to pump, especially the 8-10 pumps , probally twice the effort of my Sheridan @10pumps. Thats ok , cause I know when I shoot it , if its a hit , its gonna die. LoL.

The way the world is now , these may be the last old school hard hitters to come around for a long time. This one of those items that people will ignore seemingly cheap and throw away , but in 10-20 years I'm betting they will be collectable. They even say SHARP on them in two places.

Respond to this message   

(Login 144man)
YF12

Nice gun!

September 1 2011, 7:31 PM 

I had one for a while, as well as a Cannon 737, which is basically the same gun with a wood stock. They are great little pumpers, and capable of some respectable power.

One thing I would tend to disagree with, is the trigger. I found that trigger effort actually did increase with pump strokes. I also did a fair amount of short-range indoor shooting with my Innova clones, and found that at very low pumps, like 2-3, if I slowly squeezed the trigger, they would leak a little before discharge. At low pressure, a swift trigger finger was a must. At high pressure, a strong trigger finger was required.

They are (or were) amazing guns for the money.

For what it's worth, you can get rid of the crappy factory rear sight and fit a Beeman/Williams peep on the plastic dovetails. Just don't overtighten it.

I actually used my Cannon 737 fitted with a 10M match diopter in the American Vintage postal match several years ago, with some success.

I've been half-heartedly looking for another one of these Innova clones, but frankly my Benjamin 397P w/Williams peep has kept my pumper appetite satisfied of late. It feels and shoots like a little .177 Sheridan.

I think we're all Bozos on this bus.

Respond to this message   

(Login grassb)
YC

Jim you can have yours back if you want it...

September 1 2011, 8:31 PM 

Let me know, I'm sure we can work something out. Call or email, I'll be around all weekend.
The baby was born two weeks ago. Did you get the message/pics I sent?

Brian

Respond to this message   

(Login windygap)
YF

Agree with trigger pull

September 3 2011, 9:26 AM 

I have found the trigger pull to be a bit unusual or long for my tastes , and really took some getting used to. LoL .. thats ok this gun is awesome to take in to the woods to hunt small game. Haven't noticed a leak , but I do agree the effort increases somewhat , but nothing I can't live with.

I just wish it had a steel barrel and better sights. The builders were so close to having an amazing gun.

Respond to this message   
Iyonk
(Login Iyonk)
YF

Great Post! (graphic)

September 2 2011, 9:54 AM 

thanks alot for sharing...

there's actually a model with alloy receiver, called sharp tiger... it elimates the plastic brech cracks or broken...

here's mine ... but i spaypaint the stock to black dull.

here's similar model to yours, but mine are indonesian lisenced models innova.

similar one with wood stock but refinished my myself.

the grouping after barrel polish, recrown and self tune.
supredome .177, 3 pump, 20 yards with scope that look like this.
i damaged the crosshair and replace it with a wristwatch seconds arm.

my japanese version of innova

Respond to this message   

(Login cole5169)
YFOT

Those are beautiful airguns

September 3 2011, 10:48 AM 

I'd love to find any of those! happy.gif

-joel

Respond to this message   

(Login windygap)
YF

Super Cool !!!

September 3 2011, 1:08 PM 

Thanks for sharing the wonderful pics and info. Those are some "REALLY" great looking guns.

Too bad all our major gun dealers want to import is the sos year after year.

Respond to this message   

(Login windygap)
YF

TIGER Sharp

September 3 2011, 1:30 PM 

Is this model still in production?

Respond to this message   
Iyonk
(Login Iyonk)
YF

Yes...

September 4 2011, 11:27 AM 

they're available with long barel and standard barrel.

Respond to this message   

(Login windygap)
YF

Re: Yes...

September 4 2011, 9:40 PM 

Where in the "WORLD" can you buy these great looking guns........the SENAPAN ANGIN airguns... I don't know any dealers in North American that sell anything cool like these guns you have. Surely , somebody imports this line.

Will you go shopping for me....LoL?

Respond to this message   

(Login cole5169)
YFOT

I've never noticed any leaking...

September 3 2011, 10:59 AM 

I usually shoot in the backyard with 3-4 pumps, and I haven't had any trigger-pull leaking problems... Maybe I got lucky, or maybe they addressed the problem with later production runs (?)

One of you suggested the Beeman peep, and that sounds like a great idea! It's going to cost almost as much as the gun happy.gif but it would be a welcome upgrade.
I already tried using a spare Williams WGRS-54 that I had laying around, but it wouldn't fit without drastic reshaping (filing), and I didn't want to sacrifice the sight just yet. I hope the Beeman sight is 11mm, and not 3/8...?

By the way, the Puma does have a steel barrel - someone here regretted the absence of one - but the shroud (if you want to call it that) is just a plastic tube. I don't mind, since most of the rest of the gun is plastic anyway.

-joel

Respond to this message   

(Login windygap)
YF

barrel

September 3 2011, 1:23 PM 

thanks for steel barrel info. I haven't had mine but a couple months . I was reading on some other forums, some threads many years old that the barrel was a low grade brass inside the plastic sleeve and was the cause of some heat related issues and accuracy. Maybe these latter ones were improved of the first models?

I mostly shoot mine at 3-4 pumps as well to practice. I only pump it 8 times to make a kill. Mine shoots the little Silver Jets with deadly accuracy on birds. HA!! LoL

Man.... would like to find one of those "TIGER" model with the alum reciever !!!

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - All summer with my Puma Innova
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Traj Plot by RC    Airgun Calculators    number of fills Calc    cc gun volumes    Add your Pic

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.