<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

ASG Dan Wesson bb Pistol Review

September 20 2011 at 7:58 PM
  (Login windtek)
YF

I received my Dan Wesson bb Pistol today and her are my thoughts after the first C02 cartridge. First off this is the most accurate bb pistol I have owned I can consistently hit a 1.5" sticky dot at 20ft off hand using Daisy Avanti bb's. The build quality is very good for a bb pistol mostly nice heavy metal with plastic grips the finish on the gun is very good and seems like it will last very well too time will tell. I would have like to have seen a nicer set of grips on the DW they are not cheap cheap plastic but a little nicer quality would have been appreciated along with a metal turn for the C02 instead of the plastic one these are very minor complaints for the gun overall is very nice. The gun feels very nice in your hands at first I was worried it was a little front heavy but after I put the C02 and loaded the gun the balance was pretty good overall.

I was happy to find that the USA version of the DW comes with 12 bullets/clips to house your bb's and a easy loader too. I was going to order a pack of clips but they were not available at time of purchase so the extra 6 was a welcome bonus. Also packaged with the gun is a small picatinny rail to mount your favorite scope or red dot etc to the gun and a owners manual which is more like a small folded insert than a booklet. Be careful when you open your gun one of the picatinny rail set screws was floating loose in the package. The packaging was a bit of a disappointment for a gun that retails for $150 ( I payed $120 from Pyramyd) it should have at least come boxed like the Euro version but instead here in the States we get blister pack which I hate this stuff. I would have gladly paid 10 more dollars for a factory hardcase. The action on this gun is nice and smooth the trigger has a very nice feel I prefer shooting is single action mode but dual action feels pretty good too. The sights are very good for a bb pistol and you can adjust windage and elevation which I have never had before on a bb pistol mainly because there not accurate enough to warrant it but trust me the DW is.

If your looking for a bb pistol that will hang with a lot of pellet pistols in the accuracy department this is as close as it gets. The gun shoots hard and I would suspect the 500fps reports I read for the 8" version are true. I did my usual inspection along with oiling of the moving parts to get the smoothest action I can from the gun. After my first full C02 threw the gun I would give this gun an easy 8 out of 10 and am really looking forward to them releasing the 6" inch chrome version here in the USA as well. I have not taken the gun apart for the trigger tension mod to get more fps so I am not sure if the nut in bolt are in place on the USA version or if they will have to be added I will get back to you all on this. I would highly recommend Avanti Precision bb's and if you order them from Pyramyd you can take advantage of there by 3 packs get 1 free. Thanks I hope you enjoyed my review. Tim A. aka windtek

[IMG][linked image][/IMG]

[IMG][linked image][/IMG]

This message has been edited by windtek on Sep 20, 2011 8:46 PM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Tallpaul
(Login tallsaul)
YF

Its a shame they got the cylinder release wrong.. I have two pistol packs and a single Dan

September 20 2011, 8:03 PM 

Wesson floating round here and they are worthy guns with a reputation for accuracy. its a shame they messed up and put a Smith & Wesson realease on the Dan Wesson copy... sounds like thegun might be a keeper for what it is though!

Respond to this message   

(Login cspat64)

Picatinny screws

September 20 2011, 9:50 PM 

Hi
I'm in Canada. I bought the same a month ago. The package is a box but it does not seem to have any screws that you were talking about. Am I missing something? If so, where can I buy the screws? I am planning to mount a red dot on it.
Thanks.

Respond to this message   

(Login windtek)
YF

Picatinny Screws

September 21 2011, 1:16 AM 

The mounting rail has 2 set screws one was in the rail and the other was loose in the package. In order to mount the rail you remove the stock rear blade sight then slide the rail in and secure it with the set screws. Tim

Respond to this message   

M'hackett
(Login 22MK1)
YFOT

Too bad they don't have a rifled barrel/pellet version of thjat

September 20 2011, 10:56 PM 

nt

Respond to this message   
scot laughlin
(Login classicalgas)
YF

It would be a simple mod to put a rifled barrel in it

September 20 2011, 11:46 PM 

You have to mod the "cartridges" too, to allow loading a pellet from the back.

Respond to this message   

(Login classicalgas)
YF

considering that a tuned crosman 357 will put every shot on a 3/4" sticker at 30 feet

September 20 2011, 11:49 PM 

that's a pretty pricy bb gun. I wonder why they made such a nice pistol but put a smooth bore barrel in it?

Respond to this message   

(Login windtek)
YF

Pricey

September 21 2011, 1:22 AM 

Yeah I will give you that it is pricey but it's neat and well made. I have always wanted a accurate bb pistol and this one really fits that bill nicely. I guess there are mods to add rifled barrels and shoot pellets but then it wouldn't be a bb gun. Tim A.

Respond to this message   

(Login airgunandy)
YF

BB revolver

September 21 2011, 9:45 AM 

Was this revolver designed form the get-go as a BB gun or was originally designed for airsoft?

I plink, therefore I am.

Respond to this message   
windtek
(Login windtek)
YF

Design

September 21 2011, 10:54 AM 

Andy I believe it came out in airsoft form first but I am not for sure if the DW bb is a direct port with a barrel and clip change but I would guess it is. One thing I do know is it shoots very well I waited for months for the S&W R8 bb revolver to come out and was so disappointed it was not a good gun very cheaply made the DW is made very well not as good but close to my S&W 586. To me the DW is worth every penny of $50 more than the S&W R8 and is easily the nicest shooting bb pistol I have owned. Also it was a nice touch to give 6 extra shells/clips unlike the euro version which only comes with 6. I am going to check after work but I think they left the screw & nut in place on the USA version to adjust the hammer spring so you can get some extra fps I believe it is hot glued in place so I will need to get rid of the glue and adjust away. I am thinking about stopping by Wally world and picking up a C11 tactical they have them for $50 and see how well it shoots compared to the DW I hear the C11 shoots very well with Avanti bb's. Tim A.

Respond to this message   
Jon
(Login minkling)
YC

Dan Wesson

September 21 2011, 10:45 AM 

How many full power shots did you get from one CO2? TIA

Respond to this message   

(Login windtek)
YF

Full power shots

September 21 2011, 10:56 AM 

Jon I haven't counted yet but it's a bunch they say up to 100 I would say 70-80 good hard shots is a realistic number. Tim

Respond to this message   

john
(Login C02sniper)
YF

wonder how it compares to the umarex based S/W revs.

September 21 2011, 11:07 AM 

They are in similar price ranges but shoot pellets. I used to have the original circa 70's 357 mag crosman back in the 80's and loved it to death...found it fun and accurate...those steel bb probably have some plink wallop behind them...looks fun but looks pricey for ammo...

Respond to this message   
Jon
(Login minkling)
YC

Avanti Shot

September 21 2011, 12:18 PM 

Where did you find the larger package. All I see on the PA site is a 500 pack.

Respond to this message   

(Login windtek)
YF

Avanti large packs

September 21 2011, 11:25 PM 

Those came from Pyramyd but it appears they only have 500 packs now. Tim

Respond to this message   

(Login windtek)
YF

**Warning if you do the hammer spring mod**

September 21 2011, 11:31 PM 

Be very careful if you do the hammer spring tension mod I ended up doing a non-adjustable mod by shimming the box slide that holds the hammer spring. Be very careful the whole assemble comes apart real easy and ended up in pieces on my work bench I didn't even tilt the gun at all it was laying flat and came apart. Luckily it is a pretty straight forward trigger mechanism and I was able to get it back together and actually have a nicer smoother trigger during the mod I polished all the trigger parts that are metal on metal since they fell apart anyway and used some good teflon grease when I put it back together very smooth in single or double action now. Tim A.

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - ASG Dan Wesson bb Pistol Review
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Traj Plot by RC    Airgun Calculators    number of fills Calc    cc gun volumes    Add your Pic

******** Buy 3rd/4th gen FX Pumps for Superior quality and unbeatable 5 year factory Warranty.********

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.