<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Best air rifle for under $600

September 28 2011 at 6:43 PM
  (Login arion86)

First of all hi to all in here.
I have been searching for weeks for the best rifle under my budget now, and I am tired lol. Anytime I find a good that I like, i read a review from some1 that says it sucks. Max I can spend is $600 or less.
I really like those air rifle, because they are easy to fill " hand pump, or compressor". My gun must be .20 or .22 caliber more than that its to loud and bigger the pellets more they cost. Must be quiet also, or at least not loud.
A scope with the gun will be a plus but, if not included its OK.
I will be hunting mostly : rabbits, small-medium size hogs, or birds.
I have my eyes on the .22 cal marauder, but i have doubts that i might spend almost $600 for a gun when I can buy another one for the same price but much better "accuracy, powers, and better look".
That's why I would really appreciate any help from an expert, or someone with lots of experience.
Thanks for wasting your time reading my noob question.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Jeremy
(Login Smaug1)
YF

I think the Marauder is a good call.

September 28 2011, 7:43 PM 

But in the case of the .22, I would probably buy a new one. They've had issues in the past with their barrels.

I have one in .177, and I wouldn't shoot a hog with it.

In .25, they've always been good, and this is certainly the best of them for hog hunting.

I got my Marauder on the Classifieds here for $375 used.

Pyramydair.com has package deals, in which you can get the Marauder, a tin of pellets, and the Benjamin pump for a good discount. You end up getting $50 off. This will come in at $609.

I just had mine out this past weekend and managed a 9/16" group at 50 yards. I think it might even be able to do a little better than that, because it was a little breezy.

As for someone having something bad about them, this is how it works. If the rifle is not super-expensive, there's always going to be a drawback somewhere. As you spend more, the fewer drawbacks there are, with the exception of price. There's also the matter of personal preference. Some folks just can't be pleased. Look at the reasons someone doesn't like the gun. Are they something that would bother you? If not, go right ahead.

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

Respond to this message   
Marauder23
(Login tbln930)

Marauder but .25 cal

September 28 2011, 8:01 PM 

Second choice Condor at $617 in .25. The Marauder .25 is pretty darn quiet. Condor needs a shroud but gets real close.

Respond to this message   
Jeremy
(Login Smaug1)
YF

Also...

September 28 2011, 8:05 PM 

I know where there's a lightly-used Weirauch HW77 for sale for $425 + shipping. This gun is legendary.

Drop me an email and I'll tell you where. (it isn't mine, and I have no affiliation with the seller) I don't think I'm allowed to post a link to it publicly.

jzorns at yahoo dot com

Respond to this message   

(Login Tofazfou)
YF

BSA Lone Star .22 for 395.00 at AOA. The gun can

September 28 2011, 8:37 PM 

make over 40 FPE in 22. I know, i had one. It loves JSB exacts, Jumbos, and Kodiaks. Too loud for back yards, buy a LDC for it from someone like TKO airguns. Set the power for about 30 ft lbs using JSB exacts and you got yourself a 1 hole shooter...PERIOD. Real steel and wood and the gun is also very compact. IT's like a tank

Respond to this message   

(Login gubb33ps)
YF

Good choice...good gun.

September 28 2011, 10:01 PM 

But it is loud.
But the left over $200 could take care of the loudness as well as an inexpensive scope.

Problem with any forum is that no matter what rifle you pick, someone is going to tell you it's crap (or breakage prone...or not as good as...or fuss at you for not buying American...or warn you it's dangerous...etc.).

Respond to this message   

(Login xmdx13x)
YC

BSA Lonestar 25 mags and accuracy

September 28 2011, 10:43 PM 

You can also get magazines for the gun from Rowan Engineering. The BSA Lonestar in .25 tied for first in some big the 100meter airgun competition and placed well else where in the competition. In terms of accuracy and power it's hard to beat.

Respond to this message   

(Login mark6869)
YF

Seems obvious he wants a PCP not a springer

September 28 2011, 8:44 PM 

I like the Marauder it was my first PCP and a good choice.The .25 will be a little louder,harder to pump,
uses more air,less shots but comes with a Green Mountain barrel which are known to be very accurate.
Shoot me an E-mail if you want I was in your shoes not too long ago. regards mark

Respond to this message   

(Login JimLowe)
YF

Re: Best air rifle for under $600

September 28 2011, 8:52 PM 

Hw95/R9

Respond to this message   

(Login chrisgtcs)
YF

I would also go with the..

September 28 2011, 9:57 PM 

Marauder and by what you are hunting for the .25 seems like the choice. Plus it sounds like this may be your first pcp and I would encourage you to get something that will keep you in the sport and get you really addicted to sport. There are many here that can help with info,mods and several different forums out there to have fun with this gun. Crosman customer service and how quickly you can have repairs done if any is also a plus at first. I will say though if you are not hunting hogs and will mostly will be shooting rabbit,squirrel and backyard plinking then buy the .177 over the .22. Who knows you may also get into field target. This is what happened to me!

Respond to this message   

Johnnie Paul
(Login DRAGON-64)
YF

Yep, Marauder .177---------> To Field Target...

September 28 2011, 11:00 PM 

Seemed like a natural progression...guiltless hunting.

Respond to this message   

Chris in Tx
(Login doctorxring)
YC

Roni... please qualify this statement....

September 28 2011, 11:16 PM 

"I will be hunting mostly : rabbits, small-medium size hogs, or birds."

Especially the "hogs" part.

Respond to this message   

(Login dnullify)
YF

$600 total or rifle only?

September 29 2011, 12:26 AM 

If it's $600 total then I don't know if you've got more than a few choices. A pump is ~$180, so the marauder might be your best bet.

Try looking at the prepackaged deals for the marauder at Pyramyd. That, plus a coupon code will leave you some room in your budget for plenty of ammo (i've been hovering the mouse over the "checkout" button on that deal for weeks).

If not, then what the gentlemen above said happy.gif

Respond to this message   

(Login manny6666)
YF12

For Hunting, .....Evanix

September 29 2011, 8:18 AM 

this one is on sale, after Pyramyd Coupon is just over 500 bucks

http://www.pyramydair.com/p/evanix-blizzard-S10-air-rifle.shtml

Respond to this message   
boo
(Login boohoo9)
YC

sounds like

September 29 2011, 9:19 AM 

you are looking for a hunting gun with power and accuracy.
Take a hard look at the Evanix Rainstorm.
With coupon, can be bought for a tad under $600.
Power can be easily adjusted from high 30 s to about 50 fpe, depending on pellets used.

boo

Respond to this message   
VAF
(Login VAFarmer)
YC

I would look at some type of .30 cal if you want hog hunting power

September 29 2011, 9:56 AM 

I know there are guys who have taken them from .177 cal, but a better chance at dead is what I prefer, especially hunting anything with tusks.

You can get a .30 cal pcp, and to be honest, they are not much louder than a .20 cal.

Depending on your .30 cal range, you can use slugs or roundball. A 95 grain Jerry Boyenga slug would still take a hog broadside if shot around 800 fps or higher.
If you buy the right gun, maybe like a Jack Haley, you can more than likely do some type of power adjuster, so that rabbits will not be decimated when hit, but you can open up the throttle a little when you want to hit hogs.

Not saying .20 and .25 cal made to shoot 150 ft lbs wont do it, just that the large bore and big thick bullet seems to be able to hit ribs and keep on crushing thru without so much defection.

I have 2 pcps, a .32 Haley, and a .45 Sam Yang. Both will come in right around 600 bucks, I think.

You can use roundball for rabbit,and then big bullets for hogs.

I think that Nomadic Pirate has taken hogs with .25 on a consistant basis. I dont think I have ever read of him doing it without headshots.

Maybe a Sumatra in .25.

I am thinking of starting to cast my own bullets from all the leftover lead from my small calibers.

No real help here, but I would say if hogs were a consistant quarry, go bigger in caliber.

God bless,

Farmer

Respond to this message   

(Login Nunyabiz1)
YF

For Hogs I would say .25cal at least

September 29 2011, 10:22 AM 

You can get like stated above a BSA Lonestar in .25 that will give 30 shots at 40fpe for $400 then use the $200 on LDC etc.

You could get lucky and find a used .25 Condor with all the bells and whistles, shroud and tuned etc for around $600, that would certainly be your best bet as far as "Hog Hunting" with a less than $600 air rifle because you can squeeze 90+FPE out of it.

Also the Sumatra 2500 500CC .25cal not sure about an LDC for one though or how quiet it would be.

Respond to this message   

(Login MobyMyster)
YF

* * Under $600 Bucks...

September 29 2011, 11:01 AM 

that's easy. The .25 cal Marauder without a doubt.
If, as you say: "small-medium size hogs" are part of
you quary then you're going to want the .25 cal.

JMTCW

MobyMyster in KS

"It's Simple. All it comes down to is:
Windage & Elevation Boys,
Windage & Elevation!"

Respond to this message   

(Login manny6666)
YF12

Not very good Advice there

September 29 2011, 12:54 PM 

.25 cal Maurader has less power than .22 Evanix

To take hogs with small bore you need to stay strictly to head shots, at the same FPE .22 is better than .25

if Going .25 than Sumatra is the call, after coupon about 500 bucks

Respond to this message   
Jack
(Login Deardorff)
YF12

Re: Best air rifle for under $600

October 9 2011, 11:45 AM 

I have both a Marauder and an Evanix Blizzard. The Blizzard is my choice with the Marauder in second.
I use them for exterminating pest animals, mainly muskrats and blackbirds. Occasionally raccoons, skunks and geese.
Over 350 muskrats this summer for the county.(road damage problems from their burrowing)

The Blizzard is a more solid shooter. Its shortcoming is no counter on the 10 shot magazines. Other than that both work well.

I know there are more expensive rifles and more refined rifles. I just kill pest animals, not target shooting other than sighting in and for this use both do a good job. If I had to make a choice it would be the Blizzard.

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Best air rifle for under $600
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Traj Plot by RC    Airgun Calculators    number of fills Calc    cc gun volumes    Add your Pic

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.