<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Played with the new OX square section spring in the "Franken9".

November 28 2011 at 12:23 PM

Ed Canoles  (Login nced1)

The good..........
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The .820 OD spring actually installed easily in the new HW95 piston with liner that I recently installed in my "Franken9". The spring with the supplied spring guide, top hat, and steel thrust washer installed with almost no preload (about 1/2" of preload). Personally, I do like the low preload requirement. After assembly the gun cocked surprisingly smooth and the latch-up at the end of the cocking stroke was positive with secure safety functioning. The cocking stroke SEEMED similar to a factory setup, berhaps a bit harder but not excessive.

A few CPLs over the chrony sensors showed 935-945fps using a Vortek VAC seal on the piston! I pulled the piston and installed a factory R9 seal and the chrony showed CPLs flying at 890-900fps.

The BAD.........
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
As expected, this spring kit with the sloppiest fitting guides I've seen gave the most horrendous shot cycle I've ever experienced with a springer! Along with the excessively loud TWANNNGGGGG was the duration of that twang!! By the way.....the caution on the package states "WARNING NOTE, FITTING THIS SPRING MAY TAKE YOUR RIFLE OVER 12ft/lbs".....LOL, this warning certainly applies to MY R9! Perhaps there should ALSO be a warning tthat "NOISE LEVELS MAY EXCEED SHOOTER COMFORT LEVELS" LOL happy.gif

This spring kit would be hopelessly over sprung if I were to use my standard home turned oring sealed piston cap arrangement so this spring kit will go into the "parts bin", perhaps to revisit in the future. Perhaps this spring with a fitted guide and top hat would shine when shooting heavy pellets, but my experience in the past is that once the fpe of a R9 weight gun exceeds 15fpe it becomes too hold sensitive for ME. I don't imply "less accurate", just that it becomes difficult for ME to shoot as accurately.

I've learned through the years that my R9s tuned to shoot CPLs at around 880-900fps will do everything I require of a springer out to 55 yards, so I'm not very inclined to "suffer the slings and arrows" of harsh shooting springers that give "braggin' velocities" but no practical benefits for my airgunning interests.

General observation...........
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
MOST Euro springer shooters must be DEAF to spring noise judging by how noisy this spring kit is considering that the sales pitch on the package states "Of the 100,000 plus 'OX' sold around the world, it is almost unknown for one to fail".....and......"Spring powered airguns sold in the UK outsell pneumatic, pre-charged, or gas ram systems by probably 250-1" etc. Pretty strong "sales pitch" to my thinking!! I'm sure that tightly fitting guides could muffle the twang/vibration, but I'm thinking that it would take an exceptionally tight guide to quiet such a strong spring, sooooooo.....this 'OX' spring kit gets a "thumbs down" for MY purposes!!! I didn't take the time to accuracy test the arrangement due to the fact that such excessive and long lasting vibration couldn't be good for my new scope! LOL happy.gif

This message has been edited by nced1 on Nov 28, 2011 12:23 PM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login Mike17670)
YF

Did you try it with one of your guide sets? NT

November 28 2011, 12:46 PM 

Respond to this message   

Ed Canoles
(Login nced1)

No I didn't since I'm sure that using this spring my R9 would be...........

November 28 2011, 5:05 PM 

"over sprung" using an oring sealed piston seal. By the way Mike, thanks for the opportunity to actually TRY an 'OX' spring in my R9 since I've read about them for years.

Respond to this message   

(Login Mike17670)
YF

It would be intersting

November 28 2011, 7:35 PM 

One of you guide sets would probably de-twank it! If you get bored , maybe make one and give it a go. I would hate to think that we were that close to something special and didn't try it.

Mike

Respond to this message   

(Login DavidEnoch)
YFOT

So, after all the experimenting.........

November 28 2011, 1:23 PM 

So, after all the experimenting what's your favorite set-up?
I am guessing a JM spring, custom guides, and one of your O-ringed pistons.

Thanks,

David Enoch

Photobucket

Respond to this message   

Ed Canoles
(Login nced1)

Ya know David, after playing with R9 tunes of various configurations........

November 28 2011, 5:25 PM 

over the decades I do have to say that you nailed my favorite components since they have performed well for me over the long haul. I do have a "box of JM springs" in my dusty parts bin because I always bought several springs every time I ordered them and they have always given satisfactory service life and shot cycle using my "old school" tuning practices and oring sealed piston caps. I guess that I'm set up for YEARS since I've been only tuning my own guns and my brother's for the last several years.

Anywhoo.........I do have to say though that I REALLY preferred the simplicity of installation and shot cycle of the Vortek PG2 kit I tried (I didn't need to cut fitted guides, simply "drop in" the kit). Problem was that the service life of the PARTICULAR kit I used wasn't acceptable and I didn't want the possibility of having to break down the R9 and resetting it up in the middle of the field target season.

Respond to this message   

(Login daved20319)
YFOT

Hey, Ed, if you're interested in selling it...

November 28 2011, 2:29 PM 

Instead of letting it collect dust in a parts bin, I have a project going that might be just perfect. Not an R9, but I already know from past experience that R9 springs will work. Email me direct if you're interested, thanks.

Dave

Respond to this message   

Ed Canoles
(Login nced1)

Email is on the way. nt

November 28 2011, 5:04 PM 

Respond to this message   
John in PA
(Login scopebite)
YC

Ed, I tried a OX spring in a RWS 48 once.

November 28 2011, 8:57 PM 

Warren, on the Diana forum bought four different spring kits for me to try in his RWS 48 in 22 cal.
Most of the kits fired 14.3 CP's at 820 fps. The OX ended up firing them at 870 fps and also seemed easy enough to cock but the sound of it being fired was the worst crack I've ever heard in a air rifle.
A shooting session would have given anyone a headache. I even cut a new rear guide for it but after 50 shots it blew the backend off the guide. I think its still laying on shelf also.

Respond to this message   
Tony
(Login bigtoe01)
YF

Re: Ed, I tried a OX spring in a RWS 48 once.

November 29 2011, 4:28 AM 

we use OX springs for gate closers wink.gif

They usually shake guns to pieces, crack welds etc....not good.

Respond to this message   

Ed Canoles
(Login nced1)

Seems that the gun is protectin' the spring! LOL nt

November 29 2011, 5:57 AM 

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Played with the new OX square section spring in the "Franken9".
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Traj Plot by RC    Airgun Calculators    number of fills Calc    cc gun volumes    Add your Pic

******** Buy 3rd/4th gen FX Pumps for Superior quality and unbeatable 5 year factory Warranty.********

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.