<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

Want to cut down the costs of big bore shooting and swage your own pellets?

January 21 2012 at 5:50 PM

Mike  (Login 17hornet)
YC

In the late 90's when I got my first Brigand in .375 cal, I wasn't satisfied with round ball accuracy, so I made a pellet swaging set for it.. It turned round balls into a round nose hollow base pellet. Accuracy increased enough to make it worthwhile.. I made about 10 sets for guys, and then forgot about it...
2012: I revisited the idea, improved it a bit and now can make round ball to pellet swaging dies in about any caliber.. Round nose hollow base, they allow me to load a round ball of my choice into the die and with a coupla whacks with a hammer, make a pellet.
For example, I make pellets for my CO2 30 caliber, the diameter I chose was .303.. Using ball diameters of.300. 310, 315, and 320, I get pellets that work well in my guns.. By using different size ball, I get different length pellets. heavier ball translates to a longer pellet... By using .304 diameter, I get less than full engagement in the rifling so it loads easier and with lower powered Co2, the velocity is good. When you shoot round ball, the engagement in the rifling is a really small amount, as it only engages on the largest diameter of the ball... By using this die set, rifling engagement is substantially more.. I am using 451 diameter for my DAQ 452, and a 445 round ball .354 for my DAQ 9mm by using a .350 ball. I make a sleeve for the punch so it will go only deep enough to properly form the pellet. It makes for consistent pellet lengths... And they come out with glass smooth side walls.
The best part is, when you're done shooting, any pellets you can recover can be driven back thru the die to remake the pellet.. Also if you dont like the looks of it, do it over..
I have reused some pretty flattened out pellets. it they're a little flat, just drive them back thru the die.. Distorted pellets are easy to remake, and I've reused really flat ones, by crumbling them up with pliers to get them to fit in the die.. The hammer will take care of the rest.. I've reshot the same pellet 3 or 4 times, I did notice that the pellet was a little shorter than the first time I made it, so some lead went away..
These pellets will generally be lighter than the bullets you use now, so keep that in mind.
The manufacturing speed depends on you.. I tried for speed, and made 4 in a minute
As far as the ball materials go, I use cast lead, swaged lead, and the harder shot available in bulk.. All easy to form, and all perform well in my guns...I form them using a 1 pound ball peen hammer on the back of my bench vise
Oh, and results will vary, just as using different pellets does.. But your pellet weight will be pretty consistent by using the same diameter ball for each caliber.
This setup can drastically reduce the costs of shooting big bore, as bullets aren't so cheap, and generally aren't reusable
This my contribution to the "Green" movement! ;>)

I ran this by Steve, who graciously allowed me to post this, and will be offering a kit for sale in the diameter of your choice..
Either email me for more info, or watch the classifieds..
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]

" Ever have one of those mornings where it hardly seems worth the effort to chew through the leather restraints? "

This message has been edited by 17hornet on Jan 21, 2012 5:54 PM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

James
(Login captiveherps)

Excellent idea

January 21 2012, 6:00 PM 

http://www.cafepress.ca/AK47andmore

Respond to this message   
Ralph in La
(Premier Login ralphy101again)

very nice , could you use an arbor press instead of a hammer ? nt

January 21 2012, 6:06 PM 

Life is a trip

Respond to this message   

Mike
(Login 17hornet)
YC

I have a small one, but never tried it..Maybe..

January 21 2012, 6:12 PM 

Probably take more effort than a hammer though, and I'm all about less effort! ;>)

" Ever have one of those mornings where it hardly seems worth the effort to chew through the leather restraints? "

This message has been edited by 17hornet on Jan 21, 2012 6:14 PM

Respond to this message   
Nies
(Login jimineecricket)
YF

very nice indeed!

January 21 2012, 6:27 PM 

Respond to this message   
robert
(Login gubb33ps)
YF

Remember...

January 21 2012, 7:50 PM 

..Corbin once made sets of "pound dies" (its been years ago) that had at least a modest following among paper patch shooters. Good to see the idea being brought to air gunning.

Two sets? One with a bleed hole and a mechanical stop in order to produce very uniform "slugs", and another set to turn the uniform slugs into HB bullets"

Respond to this message   

Mike
(Login 17hornet)
YC

I didn't know that..

January 21 2012, 7:56 PM 

Thanks for the info...
Mike

Respond to this message   
robert
(Login gubb33ps)
YF

Link

January 21 2012, 8:07 PM 

http://pdf.textfiles.com/manuals/FIREARMS/corbin_pd-1.pdf

Have to congratulate you..For you to make working sets, you really have to be an exacting machinist. I am not, but given enough tries, can get lucky.

The old Sheridan slugs were made on automated machines, but were also "one die" pellet...basically, the same system as the pound die, just run by machines. Without a waist or rebated middle section, just needed a swage die and a punch.

However, those old Sheridans do show evidence of a built in bleed hole in the die...if you look closely at one, can often detect the circular mark of the bleed hole.

New pellet on left: can detect the seam of a split die (which allows for the wasp wasited middle section).
Old pellet on left: made in a one-piece die. Picked one where the bleed hole was quite visible.

[IMG][linked image][/IMG]

Just for fun...one fished out of a box of CP's.

This message has been edited by gubb33ps on Jan 21, 2012 8:11 PM

Respond to this message   

Mike
(Login 17hornet)
YC

Way more complex than mine

January 21 2012, 10:45 PM 

I used the KISS system
Mike

Respond to this message   
unrepentantsinner
(Login unrepentantsinner)
YF

I used Corbin dies for 30 years

January 21 2012, 8:02 PM 

I also had a set that I could make 451 bullets on my Rockchucker press. I used to use 44 caliber bullets cast from soft lead for cores. They were straight sided so I could also paper patch them for PB's.

Respond to this message   

Randy Mitchell
(Login rkmitchell)
AR&P

I'd be interested in getting some.....let me know when you are ready to make them

January 21 2012, 8:16 PM 

Would make a neat way to supply bullets for my bigbore customers sometimes.

Randy

http://www.adventuresinairguns.com

Respond to this message   

CO222
(Login CO222)
YF

Nice Mike, and a question

January 21 2012, 8:44 PM 

When you use a .303 sized body for (I assume) .300 / .308 rifling, does the skirt expand
to full groove diameter? Did any smaller diameter not work as well?

I tried this once but abandoned due to losses from the larger starting force & contact area
when the body was groove sized. I'm thinking of trying again with a bore-sized body
(so no deformation) and a thin skirt to engage fully.

Respond to this message   

Mike
(Login 17hornet)
YC

They do expand,

January 21 2012, 9:16 PM 

and the skirt wall can be thinner, depending on the shape and length of the punch head .. On the .303's, I made them with a little heavier skirt, to use in a muzzle loader..
Mike

Respond to this message   

CO222
(Login CO222)
YF

Thanks I will do some experimenting,

January 22 2012, 12:50 AM 

another thing I wanted to try is rifling the end of the barrel only and seeing
if a thin skirt expands enough near the muzzle to take the rifling (not like smooth twist
where the rifling protrudes inwards).

Respond to this message   
L D
(Login lhd)
AR&P

wow Mike

January 21 2012, 10:35 PM 

That looks familiar

Respond to this message   

Mike
(Login 17hornet)
YC

Yea, been a long time ago,

January 21 2012, 10:41 PM 

Late 90's I think
Mike

Respond to this message   

RedFeather
(Login RedFeather)
YC

Hmmmm......muzzle loader......

January 21 2012, 11:04 PM 

.303's. What do you shoot them in, a pea rifle? I was thinking you could take a larger ball and make sort of a Buffalo Ballette. These were a stubby, round-nosed conical which shot well in some slow twist guns. Take the large ball and swage it down more to give you a heavier pellet. Maybe a .58 down to .50? Apparently, Buffalo doesn't make the Ballette any longer. This may be worth a try.

Respond to this message   

Mike
(Login 17hornet)
YC

I have a ball reservoir pistol in 30 cal, co2 powered

January 21 2012, 11:08 PM 

That I use. 303's give enough engagement in the rifling to shoot well, and no patch..
Mike

Respond to this message   

Dutch
(Login Dutch.22)
AR&P

Can you make a spizer or perhaps a pellet in the shape of

January 22 2012, 5:27 AM 

a JSB in .308 or .457??

I am betting that cutting similar lenghts of lead wire would be another way to go instead of using lead balls.

This is very interesting.

Thanks

Dutch

Self proclaimed shootinist sumbitch...there ever was almost!!
Its hard bein shootinst sum bitch...welp not its not.
started @ 227 compressor fills in 6/22/08
188 compressor fills and I have broke even
And aaain't it grrreaaat to be livinnn in the USA.
I never whacked a pigeon, starling, or sparrow that didn't deserve it!!!
1523 and countin....on pigeons..
starling count started 11--

Respond to this message   

Mike
(Login 17hornet)
YC

Spitzers..

January 22 2012, 8:31 AM 

It would be a short spitzer, longer ones can be difficult to remove.. I only make straight sided pellets, waisted pellets with the die sets I make would be tougher to manufacture,(more expensive) and take more steps to make a pellet..
I used lead ball, rather than wire because of the ease of making a pellet. Cutting lead wire for it would take more work, and pellet weight could vary more, depending on how accurately you cut it..

I had a friend who was a clown... when he died, all his friends went to the
funeral in one car...

Respond to this message   

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

Airgun Calculators    Num of fills calc    Capacity Calc

******** Kalibrgun High quality, superb Accuracy, outstanding Value. ********

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.