<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Which diopter sights (peep) for RWS 48

February 1 2012 at 3:22 AM
  (Login BillinVA)
YF

1. I would like to fit a diopter or peep sight to an RWS 48 or 54. Any recommendations that are not at the Olympic level or Olympic level cost.

I have a Beeman-marked Williams but is is hard to tighten it to the rail with the tiny allen key. I was thinking of the Mendoza from Pyramyd. Has anyone used it?

I would like what ever I get to be lower than the normal 10 meter gun's match sights.

2. Does anyone know the thread size for the rear sight on the RWS 48 or 54. I would like to put a plug in the holes after I remove it.

Thanks.

Bill

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login gmh45345)
YFOT

Re: Which diopter sights (peep) for RWS 48

February 1 2012, 5:30 AM 

I have the Williams sight that you have on both my 48 and 54 and never had a problem with movement. The small screws on the side are not what holds the sight in place. Use them to snug to the rail and then tighten the screw that goes down into the base. You will need to remove the part that the peep aperture mounts on. The biggest problem I had was finding a replacement muzzle break that did not have the front sight mounted on a ramp. You might try UMAREX but I think that break has been discontinued.
Gary

Respond to this message   

(Premier Login ralphy101again)

i bought the replacement front sight with changeable inserts. . .

February 1 2012, 8:14 AM 

from Umarex two years ago for a 52. the Williams low profile peep works best , the standard one wouldn't adjust low enough for me.

Life is a trip

Respond to this message   
Bill in VA
(Login BillinVA)
YF

Thanks and a last question

February 1 2012, 2:19 PM 

Thanks for the info on the Williams. I totally missed the scope stop feature.

Did either of you keep the rear blade sight on the rifle, or did you remove it?

Bill

Respond to this message   

(Premier Login ralphy101again)

took the factory rear sight off using a Williams or any peep . nt

February 1 2012, 2:37 PM 

Life is a trip

Respond to this message   

(Login MDriskill)
YF12

aperture sights

February 1 2012, 5:54 PM 

The Williams aspect has already been well-covered here, so I will toss out that match sights can be lighter and less expensive than you think, if you keep an eye out for a good used one. A late Diana Diopter 75, just about any Anschutz sight, and the late "square" styled Walther LGV/LGR sights will all fit the Diana rail. The Walther and some Anschutz models are alloy construction, and surprisingly light and trim.

A sporter sight like the Williams has a great advantage for hunting or other true sport shooting, in leaving a better view around the target. But a match sight is a different level of quality and precision, with a world of cool accessories available, for target shooting or just accurate plinking. It's all in what kind of shooting you primarily do.

Any peep sight will use the very same line-of-sight as the original open sight. You must remove the rear open sight, or it will by definition cover the bottom half of your view through the peep. BUT--a good old-guy shooter's trick is to leave it on long enough to roughly align the peep first!

Respond to this message   
snagglepuss
(Login bobtodrick)
YF

gehmann

February 2 2012, 11:23 AM 

Agree on the target sights.
I recently installed a Gehmann Compact on my Avanti. A little over twice the price of the Williams...but man, is it precise. Carved out of a block of aluminum it is light and very well machined.
At 10m (it is a target sight) they say each click changes impact 2mm...and they are right...very precise.
And repeatable...during setup I specifically tried placing a shot then adjusting 5 clicks. Afterwords I moved back the 5 clicks and the pellet went into the same hole as the first, with virtually no shift.
As well it accepts antiglare tubes, filters and an adjustable iris.
Amazing value for the money IMO.

Respond to this message   
Bill
(Login BillinVA)
YF

Found it! <Diopters again>

February 2 2012, 3:15 PM 

>

Do you have a good source for the Gehmanm Compact. When I was looking for match sights, I never saw that one. I was also considering the one being made for the Airforce Match rifle. That seemed to get good reviews.

From using the Williams, I do not really like it and would prefer better adjustment knobs.

I also tried a Swiss Elite, and it works great, but its true home is on my Anschutz 57.

Thanks, Bill

Respond to this message   

(Login bobtodrick)
YF

gehman

February 3 2012, 3:48 PM 

Bill, Cibles Targetshttp://www.targets.ca/index.asp?Page=1 in Canada is where I got mine.
If you email them for info, the fellows name is Jocelyn. Very pleasant to deal with and reasonably priced.
It may take him a day or so to get back to you...it sounds like a one man operation and he has contract with the Canadian Forces which keep him quite busy at times.

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Which diopter sights (peep) for RWS 48
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Traj Plot by RC    Airgun Calculators    number of fills Calc    cc gun volumes    Add your Pic

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.