<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Hammerli 850 on the cheap...

February 12 2012 at 12:50 AM

Lon  (Login bigbore)
YFOT

Still having fun with this gun. I picked it up as a refurb for about $170 shipped IIRC. I wanted a low power high shot repeater in .177 for plinking.

I had the reg'ed bottle for YEARS sitting in the closet and kinda bought the gun to use the bottle, but this gun has a reputation and seemed to be exactly what I had in mind.

I set it up and shot it a little but the O-ring in the bottle's check valve was mush from age so the gun was down for a repair. Once I discovered what the problem was it was an easy fix. Back up and hammering away.

After a few tins the bottle failed again. I've been pretty busy but missed this gun so much I made some time for it this weekend. This was the first regulator disassembly I've done. Turned out to be easy enough and with a new O-ring I was back in business.

I've been shooting it with a peep but wanted to try a scope. I was looking through the closet and was looking past a silver .22 rimfire scope that just wouldn't do. I decided to make the gun a "Franken-gun" and mounted up the ugly, cheap scope. You know, sometimes in life things just go right. The gun was dead on without adjustment.

The gun is cobbled together from the parts bin but it's a real treat to shoot delivering 8 magazines of 8 shots with an ES of 20 fps using only 1200 psi. I don't want to fill this old bottle with too high a pressure so I shoot it from 2200 down to 1000 psi. Makes an 80 cf aluminum tank VERY useful. I ran the calc on it and forget exactly how many fills but it was plenty!

[linked image]

[linked image]

This message has been edited by bigbore on Feb 12, 2012 1:01 AM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Les
(Login POP22)
YF

Thanks for the write up!

February 12 2012, 12:59 AM 

I've been wanting one of these, likely will be my next gun!

Know guns, Know peace, know liberty.
No guns, no peace no liberty.

Respond to this message   

Lon
(Login bigbore)
YFOT

You can set these up from mild to wild...

February 12 2012, 1:07 AM 

.177 or .22.

I would recommend a regulated bottle from one of our sponsors . You can get the adaptor to attach it from Bryan & Assoc.

Lots of info on the 850 forum. The forum is slow these days but a search will probably produce information on anything you could possibly want to know about these guns.

You won't regret purchasing one. They have cult status for good reason.

[linked image]

This message has been edited by bigbore on Feb 12, 2012 1:11 AM

Respond to this message   

zoned
(Login zoned)
YC

That's quite a bit of gun for the money you paid

February 12 2012, 1:39 AM 

I always wanted to try one of those myself. If I could get one for that cheap, I'd probably go for it.
What kind of FPS are you getting with current settings? Also, how is the trigger on those guns?

This message has been edited by zoned on Feb 12, 2012 1:40 AM

Respond to this message   

Lon
(Login bigbore)
YFOT

I'm getting 11-12 fpe...

February 12 2012, 2:00 AM 

710-720 w/Barracudas, 740-760 w/8 grain. If I had a new regulated bottle I would probably get around 12 magazines from a 3000 psi fill.

I may up the power, I want 16 fpe, but if I can't get it from this setup up I'm going to leave it as is. I'm having fun doing this on the cheap. The Hammerli barrels are GREAT so it is a satisfying gun even at low power. These can go WAY up in power if that is what you desire. Starts to get expensive though, and sometimes you are knocking on the door of guns that may be a better choice IMO.

People complain about the trigger and it's usually the first mod owners do. It is a pseudo 2 stage with the first stage not moving the sear. There is a cheap mod that turns it into a true 2 stage but I like it as is. I take up the spring slack until it stops at the sear and then get a light crisp break.

P.S. They are surprising loud too. Maybe I've just been shooting sedate guns too much lately.

[linked image]

This message has been edited by bigbore on Feb 12, 2012 2:05 AM

Respond to this message   

zoned
(Login zoned)
YC

Thanks for the info Lon

February 12 2012, 3:12 AM 

Sounds perfect for a high shot count backyard gun the way you have it set up. Add a TKO to it and it would be neighbor friendly as well. The trigger sounds like it isn't too bad, but if easily modified it may be worth doing just to improve accuracy even more.

Doesn't make sense to spend too much money on going the extreme power route, since then you take away one of the most appealing aspects, the low cost.

Anyways, thanks for the info. Much appreciated!

Chris

Respond to this message   

Lon
(Login bigbore)
YFOT

I don't think the trigger affects accuracy in it's stock form...

February 12 2012, 3:21 AM 

and the most popular trigger mod is free should you feel it's needed.

Look for a used one all setup up on the classifieds or watch Airgun Depot for a refurb.

Again, with a newer bottle, I would prefer it in the 15 fpe range(.177, higher for .22) with the same shot count. Even at this power level, w/Barracudas, in this barrel, with the scope, I wouldn't want to be a pest annoying me in my yard. wink.gif

[linked image]

This message has been edited by bigbore on Feb 12, 2012 3:34 AM

Respond to this message   
richwoods
(Login icufuzz)
YC

I have three...

February 12 2012, 9:46 AM 

If you check on the 850 site,there is often posts about reburbs from Umarex USA for around $140..or so...

850 CO2 .177 (12 FPE)

[linked image]

850 HPA .177 (20 FPE)

[linked image]

Dominator HPA .22 (30 FPE)

[linked image]

This message has been edited by icufuzz on Feb 12, 2012 9:53 AM

Respond to this message   
Ralph in La
(Premier Login ralphy101again)

richwoods is that a full length shroud on your bottom pic ? . . .

February 12 2012, 10:30 AM 

i prefer full length shrouds because partial length ones throw up a flag to some people. i have an 850 in .22 i'm planning to have HPA modded and don't want the noise of it unshrouded.

Life is a trip

Respond to this message   

Lon
(Login bigbore)
YFOT

Not to speak for Rich, but I don't think it's shrouded...

February 12 2012, 1:12 PM 

It looks like you can see the dovetail Hammerli cuts into the barrel for the stock mounting hook. It won't be visible if shrouded.
[linked image]

[linked image]

This message has been edited by bigbore on Feb 12, 2012 1:13 PM

Respond to this message   
Ralph in La
(Premier Login ralphy101again)

you're right Lon , didn't notice , thanks . nt

February 12 2012, 1:37 PM 

Life is a trip

Respond to this message   
richwoods
(Login icufuzz)
YC

Lon is right...

February 12 2012, 2:28 PM 

If you search the 850 site there was some posts regarding full length shrouds but IMO there just is not enough space to install an effective shroud.

In my case, I just install my Rich In Mich "Q" in the field....goes on with two set screws.....works on both the .177 & .22...

Respond to this message   

Lon
(Login bigbore)
YFOT

What is the shot count on the 20 fpe .177?

February 12 2012, 12:49 PM 

I like the shorter 13 ci bottle but the big bottle must yield an incredible shot count, even at 20 fpe.

Heck, I'm curious about the .22 while you're at it. How many?

[linked image]

Respond to this message   
richwoods
(Login icufuzz)
YC

From the

February 12 2012, 2:36 PM 

22ci (360cc) bottle I'm getting almost 80 shots from my 850 HPA .177...and on the Dominator HPA just over 40 shots...(although I've stretched it to 50 before it went off the Reg)

You are better off with the 22ci bottle as the shot curve is much 'flatter' than with the 13ci bottle which is much steeper...Roald can explain that in more detail from his testing..

Respond to this message   

Lon
(Login bigbore)
YFOT

A regulated bottle shouldn't have a curve.

February 12 2012, 3:58 PM 

It should deliver the same pressure to the valve until it goes "off reg" giving a "flat"(same velocity)string. The only difference in velocity should be the minor differences in pellet weight and fit.

Are your bottles regulated?

[linked image]

Respond to this message   
richwoods
(Login icufuzz)
YC

Yep...both the 22ci are regulated...N/T

February 12 2012, 8:43 PM 

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Traj Plot by RC    Airgun Calculators    number of fills Calc    cc gun volumes    Add your Pic

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.