<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

BSA Tactical 4-14x44 scope review

March 3 2012 at 1:09 PM
  (Login Doug-T)
YF

I just received this scope from Midway. They were on sale for $250, normally $400 and had pretty good reviews. I've been shopping for a scope for my upcoming Mrod bullpup project and really like the Hawke Sidewinder Tactical 4.5-14 but it's a $400+ scope. This has the same features plus is a FFP scope. So, I took a chance. It arrived double boxed with a bunch of air bags between the boxes.
http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/456482/bsa-tactical-mil-mil-rifle-scope-30mm-tube-4-14x-44mm-side-focus-1-10-mil-adjustments-first-focal-mrad-reticle-matte

SIZE/WEIGHT:
The scope is large but not as large as most of the others I was looking at. Same with weight. It measures 13.375" long and weighs right at 24 ounces. 30mm tube. See picture. About 1" longer than the Leapers 3-9x32 Golden Image scope (see picture) and about 1" shorter than the full size Leapers 3-12x44 SWAT scope.

[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]

OPTICS:
This scope seems VERY clear. Of all the scopes I have, it seems to be the clearest and has the best focus. No blurry edges or discoloration. My buddy and I own numerous Leupolds and Weavers and this is every bit as clear and crisp as them. I took these two photos on macro mode but couldn't get the camera to focus very well. The view is actually much better than the pictures show. The tires and RR tie are about 120 yards away and it's overcast outside.

[linked image]
[linked image]

OTHER INFO:
The reticle is a mil-mil reticle. The turrrets are mil marked and are pretty tall, about 1.125" above the turret base. Each click of the elevation/windage turrets is 1/10 mil (about 1/10"?). The reticle has 16 holdover point below the crosshair and is very fine, clear and crisp. That should allow for plenty of holdover points for nearly every range. When you zoom out to 4X the reticle can get a little bunched up. I don't expect to be taking very many 100y shots at 4X so this shouldn't be a problem. The zoom ring is almost flush with the eye piece bell and isn't the easiest to feel or move. It's cold outside and after some time and in warmer weather it should be a bit easier to move. I would like to see it have some sort of raised "hump" on the zoom ring so feeling/moving it would be a bit easier. Overall I really like this scope based on first impressions. I'll report back once I've shot it a bunch.

Scope snobs please just read and move on. Unless you've actually seen/owned/used THIS model, you shouldn't be adding input.

I hope this helps.
Doug

This message has been edited by Doug-T on Mar 3, 2012 1:10 PM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Chris
(Login RockDoc65)
YF

I will be watching for your future reviews.

March 3 2012, 1:33 PM 

I was looking at that scope very closely but in the end chickened out and went with the Bushnell 10X 3200 Elite with Mil/Mil. I look forward to your experiences with durability and repeat-ability. Almost all of the negative "reviews" of the BSA were of the "I have absolutely no experience with that model but all BSAs are junk just because of the name stamped on it" variety. Nobody had any stick time with that one. That is a helluva feature set for $250. If they hold up and "click all over the map" BSA is really onto something there. I'd love to put one on a FWB 300 or my H&R M12 (rimfire) for some serious 50m mini-sniping and wind doping practice. That would probably be more fun than I could bear.

Respond to this message   
StubExt
(Login tbln930)

FFP with mil mil is ideal for FFP. Then you easily correct for a missed shot at all mags.

March 3 2012, 1:39 PM 

Ranging is no longer a big deal with LRFs but the ability to easily correct the second shot is. I am used to SFP after 45 years of shooting but it is a bit trickier to correct.

Respond to this message   
Scott in CO
(Login scottdecapio)
YFOT

Great review and pics! Thanks!

March 3 2012, 6:49 PM 

Very nice. Thanks for all the good info. I generally consider myself a "scope snob" and I thought I would never buy another BSA... until now... You've really got my interest with this one. Many reviews on midway saying the glass is much better than expected for BSA, plus you're saying the very same thing. I've been looking around for a scope with all those features and generally you have to pay A LOT for FFP and the mil/mil. I can't believe this mil/mil concept is so relatively new... Why didn't they think of this sooner?!? LOL! It just makes SO MUCH sense, I can't stand going back to my scopes with 1/4" clicks after using the one scope I own that is mil/mil. I might have to give one of these BSA's a try.

Can you tell me: what's the minimum focus distance at 14x? Will these scopes do 10yds?

Thanks!

Scott in CO

Respond to this message   

(Login Doug-T)
YF

Focuses to 7.5 yards @ 14X.

March 3 2012, 8:07 PM 

I just took it out again and checked the minimum focus distance. The side AO has marks down to 10 yards but it will actually focus to 7.5 yards. I'm still impressed with the thin, crips reticle and the clarity of the optics. The zoom ring seems to be working a little easier.

This message has been edited by Doug-T on Mar 4, 2012 12:08 AM

Respond to this message   
Dan Kennison
(Login kennisondan)
YC

good to know.. pretty impressive.. ffp..inexpensive..

April 4 2012, 2:37 AM 

that never went together in the queen's english before the present..
dk

"HAVE GUN WILL TRAVEL"

Respond to this message   
Davex
(Login steeldreams007)
YF

It looks like it is made by the same manufacturer who made the

May 3 2013, 6:36 AM 

Mueller Target Scope 8-32x.

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - BSA Tactical 4-14x44 scope review
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Traj Plot by RC    Airgun Calculators    number of fills Calc    cc gun volumes    Add your Pic

******** Buy 3rd/4th gen FX Pumps for Superior quality and unbeatable 5 year factory Warranty.********

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.