<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Beeman R9 kits? for my .20 cal.

March 28 2012 at 2:22 AM
  (Login 1keloso1)
YF

I was looking at Jim maccarris Beeman r9 kits and found two, one was the Hornet MK6 kit and the other was the High power special order kit?. Has any one here installed this kits in a home tune? and what was the genaral impresion after installation as to power out put and accuaracy improvemen with each kit?.
I might go Vortek but still searching for options.

This message has been edited by 1keloso1 on Mar 28, 2012 2:23 AM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Devin
(Login ddoug85)
YC

Buy another .20 R9

March 28 2012, 2:31 AM 

And go Maccari on one, Vortek on the other. Keep the one you like best, and sell the other to me at half price.

Deal? =P

Respond to this message   

(Login 1keloso1)
YF

Devin, I may just do that .

March 28 2012, 4:00 AM 

Devin, Just kiding ( LOL ).
This will be my third R9 well lets say forth if I count the B26 I had. One was tuned the others three were not. They were all great shooters but the tuned one was a killer all the way. All my other hws are tuned,beeman R1 .20 cal and my Hw80 .22 cal great shoters too. I just want a nother R9 tuned, just to make me happy.But this time I want to drop the kit in my self.

Respond to this message   

(Login Knobs)
YFOT

My Opinion

March 28 2012, 7:00 AM 

JMO, but none of these kits will make any accuracy difference, provided they are all compared at the same power level in the same gun.

If it was my gun, and i was leaning toward a Maccari kit, I'd shoot the gun until it was well broken in. If it developes above average power in stock form it will probably benefit from the Tarantula kit.

When I tune an R-9, I prefer the Tarantual Spring. However I build my own kits and i get exactly what i want for each particular gun.

The VORTEK kit is a pretty elegant solution also, especially if you don't have experience building kits.

K

Respond to this message   
Ed Krzynowek
(Login ekmeister)
YFOT

Tarantula Kit and Spring Are Both History as in Discontinued

March 28 2012, 7:17 AM 

And supposedly gone for good.

The Hornet Kit or spring is current choice for R9 and similar applications--it works quite well with as good velocity as the old Tarantula if the piston seal is right. Of course 33 coils of the T spring would allow for max spacing-max power and fit shorter pistons, while minimum spacing was good for FT applications, etc. But, gone is gone except for private stock.

There are still other JM spring options for FT-type applications in the same rifles.

Happy Shooting!

Ed, The Airgun Tune-Meister

"We can rebuild the squirrel. Make him stronger, faster...We have the technology"---Skyler M.

Respond to this message   
K
(Login Knobs)
YFOT

BY God Ed! You're right........

March 28 2012, 8:22 AM 

......I haven't been over to JM's site in a while.

At least he has a high power kit based on the Tarantula Spring still.

Too bad, it was a damn good spring. Good thing I have a nice stash of them!

K

Respond to this message   
Jim in SWMO
(Login jmhenrichs)
YF

Not the original, but...

March 28 2012, 8:35 AM 

How close is this 32 coil Euro Tarantula compared to the original Tarantula spring?
http://www.airrifleheadquarters.com/catalog/item/251488/43410.htm

"You've come far, pilgrim."------"Feels like far."
"Were it worth the trouble?"----"Ah, what trouble?"

Respond to this message   

Ed Canoles
(Login nced1)

The OLD "T" springs I used had .128 wire wound in a .540 nom ID...........

March 28 2012, 9:26 AM 

so I'm guessing that the "NEW" spring with .128 wire wound in a .512 nom ID would be a bit "stiffer" and more highly stressed.

Of course the metallurgy has an affect on this and I have no clue if the wire is the same...probably not.

Respond to this message   

(Login JimL911)
YC

Hornet Kit

March 28 2012, 10:03 AM 

I have this one in my 95. No twang or torque. 792 with JSB Heavies for just under 14.5 fpe.

Happy Canuck

Respond to this message   
brent saunders
(Login b1nine7o)
YF

R9 .20 Hornet kit

March 28 2012, 10:11 AM 

That is one of two rifles I currently regret selling. It was a real treat. JM kits are very robust you get a definite feeling of longevity & craftsmanship.

Brent s

Respond to this message   

jesse
(Login boscoebrea)
YFOT

I installed a .20 JM Hornet kit also,good kit would recommend it,that

March 28 2012, 11:42 AM 

said why do you want to install a kit? It should not be bad stock and it is the barrel and pellet combo that gives accuracy not the spring...anyhow I have a Vortex kit in my R7 also a good kit...

Respond to this message   
Bob
(Login BobRI)
YC

Re: I installed a .20 JM Hornet kit also,good kit would recommend it,that

March 28 2012, 12:41 PM 

A good kit that smooths out the shot cycle can help the shooter because smoothness reduces hold-sensitivity.

Respond to this message   

jesse
(Login boscoebrea)
YFOT

I installed a .20 JM Hornet kit also,good kit would recommend it,that

March 28 2012, 11:43 AM 

said why do you want to install a kit? It should not be bad stock and it is the barrel and pellet combo that gives accuracy not the spring...anyhow I have a Vortex kit in my R7 also a good kit...

Respond to this message   

(Login 1keloso1)
YF

I will shoot the hell out of it

March 28 2012, 11:30 PM 

if it does not twang too much,just looking for future info as I plan to start Kitting them my self. To all that jumped in to help me thanks again!!!!! YF,
Daniel.

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Beeman R9 kits? for my .20 cal.
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Traj Plot by RC    Airgun Calculators    number of fills Calc    cc gun volumes    Add your Pic

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.