<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Daystate Huntsman Classic verses XL

April 2 2012 at 9:06 PM
  (Login dt3)
YF

I am right on the verge of ordering one or the other and need some help making a final decision. I would be interested in knowing which model you own, what its preferred fill pressure is, shot count and so on. I have done the search thing and have a little info but it would seem most havent had their rifles long enough to thoroughly ring them out. BTW does anyone know the reservoir size on the XL? Daystates web site list the classic as 114cc however I can not find anything on the XL.

Something else I would like to get some input on. I noticed that the FAC models list more shots per fill in .177 than .22 which seem odd to me. For example they list 35 shots at 18 ft lbs in .177 and only 27 shots at 30 ft lbs in .22. Most other PCPs I am familiar with are actually more efficient in .22 than .177. AA S400/500 for example deliver the same number is not slightly more shots at considerably higher energy in .22 than the do in .177.

Darrell

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login gubb33ps)
YF

IF they got that shot count and that energy...

April 2 2012, 9:20 PM 

...the the .177 is putting out 35X18 = 630 total usable foot pounds while the .22 is putting out 27X30 = 810 total usable foot pounds.

Strangle the .22 down to the same energy as the .177 and it should give a longer shot count than the .177.

Respond to this message   

(Login jimineecricket)
YF

I got the classic here I have had mine for 3 months and put 2000 plus rounds thru it

April 2 2012, 10:33 PM 

Not sure if that counts as ringing it out or not but I love shooting it.

I get 30 very nice shots or 40 good shots. I have a 230 bar fill for 40 and 200 bar fill for 30 My sweetest spot is 2700 to 2300 there abouts. I can put 30 or 40 shots in a 3/4 inch hole at 40 yards sitting with a front bag rested on my window sill.

The accuracy is top notch IMO so far the most accurate rifle in the stable.

I am getting the 880 with 15.9 jsb which shoot the best out of all the pells I have feed it. I have tried 18.? jsb 14.3 JSb HN FTT 14.3 CPHP these shoot good 21gr barracuda match, 12.? barracuda green these shoot well too polymags shoot ok and they fit in the mag!

So I have no problem hitting a golf ball sized spinner at 80 yards most of the time and a 2" spinner all the time. pellet on pellet at 30 yards.

IMO I would go XL just makes more sense IMO as it was more shots per fill with most every thing else the same. either way you will have a nice shooter if its anything like the one I got.

Respond to this message   

Andy H.
(Login AndyH44)

I've been "wringing out" my new XL .22 for a few days

April 2 2012, 11:23 PM 

and have found JSB 15.9s to be the most accurate so far. Getting 40 good shots at 875 fps avg with a 200 bar fill, ending at 120 bar. The air capacity is 168cc. This gun likes any JSB pellet, but also groups CPs excellent. PolyMags are also very accurate. Typical groups today were well within 3/8" at 35 yards even though it was a bit breezy. I actually shot 4 CPs into a 1/4" hole during a still period! Don't ask about the 5th shot! This was all with a 9X scope. I'm sure if I mounted one of my 16 or 20 power scopes the groups would be a bit smaller. These guns are outstanding shooters and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another. Go for it!

[linked image]

Shoot to Live...Live to Shoot!

Respond to this message   

(Login jomartijr)
YF

How much trouble to remove

April 3 2012, 1:11 PM 

The ldc on the Huntsman. I've always liked shorter rifles and if I'm in a wide open country scenerio I'd like the option of removal for shorter carbine like handling.

John W

Respond to this message   

Andy H.
(Login AndyH44)

They are "permanently" attached by the distributor. Not much

April 3 2012, 3:10 PM 

sense removing them as you only shorten the OAL of the gun by less than 3 inches, and you won't have a shroud cap. Buy it and shoot it. This is one gun that needs nothing but air and pellets!

Shoot to Live...Live to Shoot!

Respond to this message   

(Login grumpyerr)
YF

Re: Daystate Huntsman Classic verses XL

April 2 2012, 11:37 PM 

I have a .22 classic and just got my .25 XL. With the caliber difference its not really an apples to apples comparison. I can tell you the .25 is a bit more powerful then its factory rating.

Grumpy

Respond to this message   
anewguy
(Login anewguy)
YFOT

I have a XL in .177

April 3 2012, 12:58 AM 

About 60 good shots from a 2900 psi fill.

[linked image]

[linked image]

Respond to this message   

(Login aimlessness)
YF

Darrell, Call Jim at Precision again.

April 3 2012, 7:23 AM 

I'm sure he can and will, answer all your questions.

Tell him I suggested you call him. #248-969-0377

Later,
Dwight

Respond to this message   
Mark
(Login MAR1178)
YF

L/H Huntsman xl graphic

April 3 2012, 6:06 PM 

I went to a friends ranch this morning to do pest control i cant say enough about
the XL. You have great shot count super accuracy in a nice package.I hope everybody
enjoys there daystates as much as i have.Here are the first five hay stealers out of
the thirty i got rid of today.I posted this here just to let all the new huntsman owners
that they have bought one of the best guns on the market.just my 2cents
Photobucket

Respond to this message   

(Login dt3)
YF

Thanks a lot guys

April 3 2012, 6:41 PM 

I have decided to go with the XL due to the higher shot count however I have to admit the I like the sleek lines of the classic.

Now all I have to decide is caliber, I am leaning toward the .177. I don't hunt anything larger than squirrels and enjoy the challenge of waiting for head shots. My 13 ft lb. springers in .177 have taken plenty of them in the past with no problem.

Most of my shooting is done at paper followed closely by shooting pest birds, starlings, sparrows and the occasional pigeon. If I wanted to stretch things out a bit a .22 might have it advantages?

Thanks again, I will keep you posted.

Darrell

Respond to this message   
Mark
(Login MAR1178)
YF

Re thanks a lot

April 3 2012, 7:14 PM 

Ok Darrell one more wrench to throw in. I just ordered a xl in .20cal from AOA have you ever given that a thought.
That would be in between the 177 and 22 and one flat and acurate rifle. 20 cal is often overlooked!

Good luck

Respond to this message   

REARSPROCKET
(Login REARSPROCKET)
YC

Re: Re thanks a lot

April 3 2012, 7:38 PM 

+1 .20 is a much better choice IMHO.

Respond to this message   

(Login dt3)
YF

Way to go Mark, just when I thought I had made up my mind :)

April 3 2012, 9:53 PM 

Just kidding!!!

I have to admit the one of the reason I am leaning towards the .177 is economic. I agree that the .20 is a great caliber, I owned a R9 in .20 in the past and it was quite impressive as a hunter as well as on paper.

Good suggestion, I will give it some thought.

Darrell

Respond to this message   
Mark
(Login MAR1178)
YF

You must explore all options. n/t

April 3 2012, 10:13 PM 

Respond to this message   
Bill Zizzi
(Login bzizzi373)
YF

My .22 XL will get 40+ shots at 30 ft lbs filled @ 230 bar

April 3 2012, 9:24 PM 

It is a very accurate, although my XL took about 2000 rounds
to settle down and shoot accurately. Likes 14.3gr CP's and
15.9 JSB's. It is accurate but I get some group shifting
as I shoot down air pressure.I never saw a Barrel band gun
that would not shift around.I also have a AW MCT in .22
as well and past 50 yards the Wolf puts the XL to shame,
but you can own two XL's for the price of the Wolf.
The XL is much nicer to carry into the woods and 40 shots
is more than enough for a hunt.

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Daystate Huntsman Classic verses XL
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Traj Plot by RC    Airgun Calculators    number of fills Calc    cc gun volumes    Add your Pic

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.