<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

2240 valve face seal

May 4 2012 at 7:07 PM

(Login Loki_762)
YC

My 2240 is leaking co2 every time I fire it, and I think I have narrowed it down to the seal on the valve face where the co2 cart comes in contact with the valve face. Is there a readily available o-ring or neoprene washer at the hardware store that is the right size to replace that seal, or do I need to go through the hassle of contacting Crosman and getting a new one? I am trying to get this 2240 up and running so I can sell it to help fund a P-rod, so the sooner the better!
Thanks in advance,
Chris

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login bigbore)
YFOT

The short answer is no, it's a Crosman part.

May 4 2012, 7:28 PM 

What do you mean by every time you fire it? Each time you pull the trigger, or each time you load a cartridge for a shooting session?

The seal you are referring may not be the problem. Inspect it with good light and a magnifying glass. If the seal looks good, and a new cartridge leaks after piercing, it is probably debri on the valve or valve stem face. Putting a balloon on the end of the barrel will help determine where it's leaking from. Keep the bolt closed after piercing a new cartridge and place the balloon over the end of the barrel when the gun is leaking. If the CO2 inflates the balloon, it is most likely debri holding the valve open.

[linked image]

Respond to this message   

(Login Loki_762)
YC

Re: The short answer is no, it's a Crosman part.

May 4 2012, 7:39 PM 

It leaks from the second I pierce the cap until it is empty. Takes it about 45 seconds to empty out completely, and it is coming out of the breech and the barrel. At first, I thought the piercing pin was making too big of a hole, so I backed the velocity adjuster WAY out, and even though it made only a little tiny pin hole, it still leaked until it was dry. So if it is the valve face, I suppose I check it, make sure it's clean and not chipped or cracked, and try again? And if that doesn't work, new valve stem, or can I just get a new seal instead?
Thanks for the help,
Chris

Respond to this message   

(Login bigbore)
YFOT

Inspect the valve seat and stem seal.

May 4 2012, 7:43 PM 

It's probably just debri.

[linked image]

Respond to this message   
Clint
(Login w1lp)
YF12

May 4 2012, 8:07 PM 

Mine did the same thing. seal stuck to the CO2 cylinder and I couldn't get the CO2 cylinder out. When i finally did, the seal came with it. The problem was solved with a new seal.....

Respond to this message   

(Login arathol1)
YFOT

May 4 2012, 11:06 PM 

The problem is the exhaust valve not the face seal. The only way that gas can leak from the barrel or breech is if the valve is not sealing. If the face seal was bad the gas would come out anywhere but the barrel and breech.

[linked image]
[linked image]

Respond to this message   

(Login david20271)
YF

May 5 2012, 1:01 AM 

Agree with Dave, if it's leaking out the barrel it's the exhaust valve.If it's leaking out every hole in the tube it's the face seal.

Respond to this message   
Ron Gatlin
(Login cosmo7)
YC

Try a little oil on the tip of the co2 cylinder. nt.

May 6 2012, 3:13 PM 

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - 2240 valve face seal
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Traj Plot by RC    Airgun Calculators    number of fills Calc    cc gun volumes    Add your Pic

******** Buy 3rd/4th gen FX Pumps for Superior quality and unbeatable 5 year factory Warranty.********

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.