<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Spring taking a set ....??

May 5 2012 at 2:56 AM
Italo  (Login Italo2)
YF

My buddy left his .22cal 12 fpe rifle cocked in his gun locker for 25 hours. Is his spring permanently weakened ? He asked me but I have never done that so I can't comment. Thanks ,

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
J. Smith in Michigan
(Login pa007gs)
YFOT

Does it matter ? It started life weak

May 5 2012, 6:27 AM 

I have Webly Stingray in .22 and it shoots cps at about 620 feet fps and I wanted to boost that since I got it, I just feel that large pellet was made for power, try contacting Vortek for a replacement / upgrade spring, he can accommodate your freinds needs.
1 person has advertised 25000 rounds with no loss in power, good luck.
Jerry

Respond to this message   
Italo
(Login Italo2)
YF

Good idea , thanks J. Smith .

May 5 2012, 8:55 AM 

Cheers,

Respond to this message   
Mike
(Login Mike17670)
YF

not enough to worry about. NT

May 5 2012, 8:48 AM 

Respond to this message   
Italo
(Login Italo2)
YF

Thanks Mike , I'll pass it on ...

May 5 2012, 8:59 AM 

He thinkks he notices but I guess that's his mind playing tricks on him lol.
Cheers,

Respond to this message   
Bob in WV
(Login duhuh)
YC

re spring set

May 5 2012, 9:18 AM 

Tom Gaylord did an extensive test on this subject in the R1 book. It took a lot of time and effort to do the test. I don't think the springs lost much at all in a day cocked and if I remember right some of the loss actually came back after shooting for a while. A chrony will let you know for sure. The R1 book is a good book to read for any springer guy.

Bob in WV

Never get in a hurry, it only slows you down.

Respond to this message   
Italo
(Login Italo2)
YF

Thanks Bob ! I'll try and hunt one down. It's good to have one.

May 6 2012, 7:10 PM 

I love Tom Gaylord. He was always very patient with me when I'd call him with dumb questions or just stuff like , " is this rifle fun" and so forth.

Respond to this message   

William in MD
(Login owldo)
YF

How long does a mainspring last

May 5 2012, 9:53 AM 

Here is Gaylord's report!

http://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2006/05/how-long-does-mainspring-last-part-2.html

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" -- Benjamin Franklin --

Take out the "(trash)" to respond

Respond to this message   
Nunyabiz1
(Login Nunyabiz1)
YF

Yet my FWB 124

May 5 2012, 11:39 AM 

had the original spring in it for 28 years and was still shooting at 840fps until the seal disintegrated.

Respond to this message   
Italo
(Login Italo2)
YF

It's amazing the simple science of springers yet ingeniuos.

May 6 2012, 7:13 PM 

$#

Respond to this message   
robert
(Login gubb33ps)
YF

Suspect some are just doomed to die young.

May 5 2012, 11:35 PM 

Most of them bend...increasing friction which slows the gun down and gives it a rough cycle. Some do shorten over time, exp. those with a good bit of pre-load (pre-compession).

Not too big on springers, but keep a couple of old friend about the place.

Oldest gun of which I am the only shooter (bought new) is a bit over 30years old. On its 3rd spring, but the two issue Web. springs were probably poorly tempered as they both snapped.,,then again, it took about 12 years per spring, so I've really no complaint.

(However, when this set of piston rings dies (yes...has rings), am probably screwed).
[IMG][linked image][/IMG]

Never shot my .177 RWS34 as heaviy, but it does see use. Will be 19 next month, still on the issue spring.

Respond to this message   
Italo
(Login Italo2)
YF

Wow Robert !! That is a beautiful side lever !

May 6 2012, 7:16 PM 

I wish I had that one in my collection.

Respond to this message   
robert
(Login gubb33ps)
YF

Webley Osprey

May 7 2012, 12:45 AM 

Not a real popular gun, even back then side lever tap-loaders were pretty old-school. Beeman didn't sell a bunch of them. Not a powerful gun, but its built like a tank.
[IMG][linked image][/IMG]

Good example of how good springers keep going. Just like you need to change oil, tires, and do brake jobs on your car, need to replace springs and seals once in awhile on you springer. Good guns will just keep on going and going with that kind of maintenance.

Respond to this message   
robert
(Login gubb33ps)
YF

gotta add this...

May 7 2012, 1:27 AM 

Gun was stored in a ratty old soft case. Disintigrating lining (mostly long threads of nylon with some foam padding sheding) fouled the anti-bear trap devise.

Lever cut the end of may little finger nearly off..was just dangling by a 1/8" chunk of meat...but had blood flow, so it was reattached (although numb..nerves just don't grow back..and rubbery becase there is no bone).

Not a condemnation of Webley or side levers..was my fault...but a warning for ALL SPRINGER SHOOTERS to keep a good hold on the under lever, side lever, or barrel while cocking/loading. Trusting an automatic safety is asking for trouble.

Respond to this message   
Italo
(Login Italo2)
YF

Awesome , thanks William !!

May 6 2012, 7:11 PM 

Good read !!!

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Traj Plot by RC    Airgun Calculators    number of fills Calc    cc gun volumes    Add your Pic

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.