<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Best way to ship an air pistol to a private party?

May 23 2012 at 12:29 AM
  (Login pensnwatches)
YF12

I haven't sold an airgun for a while. The last time was a couple of years ago and it seemed like UPS was the only way to ship an air pistol to anyone other than a manufacturer or dealer. Is that still the case?

I think the rules were more lenient for a rifle but it's been a while. I'm mainly interested in shipping a pistol.

Thanks!

Jerry

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login manny6666)
YF12

USPS Priority Flat Rate box

May 23 2012, 12:42 AM 

==============================
Dragon Claw .50 "Tuned"
DAQ Outlaw .452
Career 707 Ultra "Black Mamba" .357 "Tuned"
Career 707 Ultra .357
Career 707 III Carbine .25
Sumatra Carbine .25
Sumatra Carbine .22
AR6 Pistol .22
Walther Talon NP .25
Hatsan Torpedo 100 x .22 "Tuned"
Trail NP XL .22 "Tuned"
RWS 34 .22
Nitro Venom .22
Hunter Sport .177 "Tuned"
Hunter 220 .177

Respond to this message   

(Login pensnwatches)
YF12

Re: USPS Priority Flat Rate box

May 23 2012, 12:57 AM 

I checked with our post office and they said no way--unless it's going to a dealer. They said an airgun is considered a firearm and not only is it against their regulations but it's also illegal. This is just for handguns (according to the post office). Please don't think I in anyway agree with this crap but he was pretty adamant when I talked to him and he showed me the regulations. Like I said--this was a couple of years ago. FedEx just said they wouldn't ship it. Period.

Here's that part of the postal code:

c. Firearm means any device, including a starter gun, designed to, or that may readily be converted to, expel a projectile by the action of an explosion, spring, or other mechanical action, or air or gas pressure with enough force to be used as a weapon.

As you can see here they include an air or gas fired projectile in their definition.

Here's some more of the crap they have in the regulations:

11.1.3 Authorized Persons

Subject to 11.1.4, handguns may be mailed by a licensed manufacturer of firearms, a licensed dealer of firearms, or an authorized agent of the federal government or the government of a state, territory, or district, only when addressed to a person in one of the following categories for use in the person's official duties:

a. Officers of the Army, Coast Guard, Air Force, Navy, Marine Corps, or Organized Reserve Corps.

b. Officers of the National Guard or militia of a state, territory, or district.

c. Officers of the United States or of a state, territory, or district, whose official duty is to serve warrants of arrest or commitment.

d. USPS employees authorized by the Chief Postal Inspector.

e. Officers and employees of enforcement agencies of the United States.

f. Watchmen engaged in guarding the property of the United States, a state, territory, or district.

g. Purchasing agent or other designated member of agencies employing officers and employees included in 11.1.3c. through 11.1.3e.

11.1.4 Affidavit of Addressee

Any person proposing to mail a handgun under 11.1.3 must file with the postmaster, at the time of mailing, an affidavit signed by the addressee setting forth that the addressee is qualified to receive the firearm under a particular category of 11.1.3a. through 11.1.3g, and that the firearm is intended for the addressee's official use. The affidavit must also bear a certificate stating that the firearm is for the official duty use of the addressee, signed by one of the following, as appropriate:

Respond to this message   

(Login VPilot)
YFOT

Your best bet is to pack well, act ignorant and list contents as "pneumatic equipment"

May 23 2012, 1:07 AM 

Trust me, it won't matter WHO you try to ship with anymore. If you disclose the contents, you will more often than not end up in an argument or simply walking out with the unmailed package due to the ignorance of the general public and employees of these places. I just got a call from the seller of a DAISY 922 pellet rifle I bought who said the UPS outlet refused to ship the gun to me because it could be potentially converted to a firearm ???!!! Craziness.

One question to keep in mind: If airguns only go to dealers, then how to outfits like Pyramydair, Cabellas, Airgun Depot etc. ship directly to customers? The P.O. employees are nutcases and asking them to use common sense is like asking a two year old to recite the alphabet backwards - in Chinese.

Tim
VPilot

This message has been edited by VPilot on May 23, 2012 1:11 AM

Respond to this message   

(Login Riversidesports)
YF

as noted below Postal code has been revised and air pistols are now legal to ship

May 23 2012, 3:20 AM 

the advice given below is spot on
print the the new regs out as most postal folks are totally unware of their own regulations

Respond to this message   

(Login jamdon)
YC

UPS is the only legal way for a private party shipping.

May 23 2012, 1:22 AM 

They will accept the hand gun.... provided that you ship it next day day air and declare that it is hand gun to the agent who receives it. Here is a link outlining their policyhttp://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/ship/packaging/guidelines/firearms.html

With FedEx it has to be between licensed dealer or end user doing the shipping or receiving:http://www.cgwgun.com/shipping/fedex.aspx

Life is short...slow down and enjoy
http://www.activevacuums.com

This message has been edited by jamdon on May 23, 2012 1:24 AM

Respond to this message   

(Login jamdon)
YC

I stand corrected. n/t

May 23 2012, 6:35 AM 

Respond to this message   
Leon Umsted
(Login ACGould)
YC

Air Guns are not "Firearms"

May 23 2012, 1:52 AM 

Check the most current USPS and ATF rules and definitions. http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/firearms-technology.html gives the definition of a "firearm" used by USPS, FedEx, UPS, etc. http://about.usps.com/postal-bulletin/2011/pb22321/html/updt_001.htm is the most recent USPS interpretation/clarification of regulations covering firearms shipment. I will admit that many front line clerks in all shipping services are ignorant and/or purposefully unhelpful, but sharing a copy of the above information with a supervisor, manager, or postmaster will usually set things right.
Cheers,
Leon

Respond to this message   
Jerry
(Login pensnwatches)
YF12

Thanks! That's newer...

May 23 2012, 2:20 AM 

than the copy of the USPS regulations I have. I think I'll go with USPS.

Respond to this message   

(Login jamdon)
YC

Thanks for that update. I need to ship an air pistol.....

May 23 2012, 6:34 AM 

and I was here contemplating the expensive UPS next day air fees or shipping the pistol in three different packages as parts. I guess the USPS saw a need to be more competitive based on their dire financial straits. I love this place because of the wealth of knowledge that is sharedhappy.gif

This message has been edited by jamdon on May 23, 2012 6:37 AM

Respond to this message   
Bruce
(Login bruce.itterman)
YF

If you are shipping to Canada and it is over 500FPS pistol it is Restricted ....

May 23 2012, 7:10 AM 

and could be prohibited if it has a barrel under 4.56" (might be a little off on the length but around there).

Airguns over 500FPS in Canada are treated the same as firearms.

Bruce

This message has been edited by bruce.itterman on May 23, 2012 7:10 AM

Respond to this message   
KW
(Login Whiteleather)
YFOT

You are under NO obligation to tell the USPS clerk the contents.

May 24 2012, 1:12 AM 

I ship firearms and airguns legally via USPS. I don't have to tell them what is in the package, so I don't.

Why ask for confusion when you are legally shipping items? Keep the contents to yourself. One stipulation for shipping firearms is that there is no indication ON the box as to what is IN the box.

UPS is the only place where they ask you in person or on the form to list the contents. Frankly that is BS.

The ONLY restriction is live ammo. No live ammo via USPS.

UPS will ship live ammo as long as the box is labeled with "ORM-D". Which is also BS because that is the same required tag for shipping cosmetics. Seriously.

Respond to this message   

(Login eddieirvine)
YF

Bottom Line!!

May 23 2012, 7:31 AM 

An air gun is NOT a firearm, they have always been clasified as not being a fire arm! And here is the best way to solve the problem! box it up real good take it in to be shipped, if they ask what is in the package? it is sporting goods! or an empty air cyl, or pnematic air cyl not full of air! Fact Is! you are telling them what it is! The problem lies within the employees at UPS or USPS or Fedex! none of them have a clue on any of the leagal items to be shipped! So with that said don't fight the ignorance of these people!! don't get into arguing with them! to many people have, just don'e play there game! package it and ship it and it is a done deal!

Respond to this message   

(Login Riversidesports)
YF

best tactic is to use a postal contractor rather than the brick & mortar post office or...

May 23 2012, 10:04 AM 

schedule a priority mail pick up on the USPS website
no where near the degree of nosiness that you have at some post offices so no need to tell any little white lies
just pay your fees and go

Respond to this message   

(Login gy954)
YF

Not So Much

May 23 2012, 11:54 AM 

Sadly, my local UPS/FedEx store will not accept any sort of gun under any circumstances. I have to drive an extra 5 miles to drop off my package at FedEx (e.g. when it's headed to PA). Store owner's prerogative I guess.

OTOH my local USPS has been very nice about my obvious-sized shipping boxes. I'm sure the clerk knows it's an airgun--sometimes we even discuss shooting--but it must be okay within their regulations because I've never been turned down.

Respond to this message   

(Login robnewyork)
YF

i dont tell them what it is..its not illegal therefore none of their business in my opinio

May 23 2012, 1:30 PM 

N..needless to say they have never asked..ever.

[linked image]
"i never was much for book learnin"

Respond to this message   

(Login Riversidesports)
YF

yeah is store to store & sometimes dictated by the main UPS/FedEx office in area...

May 23 2012, 1:33 PM 

interestingly while some contractors for UPS/FedEx refuse "guns" if they also contract USPS they will often ship them via that
What I have been told is that all guns have to go through the main office which depending on where you live, may be a 100 mile trip one way in the rural midwest
spoke to UPS national about this who have told me that is not corporate policy so it is something originating from hater supervisors at the regional level

Respond to this message   

(Login unrepentantsinner)
YF

Shocked at FEDEX yesterday

May 23 2012, 11:09 AM 

I shipped off my shortened Roaylae 500 yesterday to AOA to get the Elite regulator. The same employee always waits on me and he knows that I ship sirguns for I have done it several times with him in the past.

He approached me and asked what I was shippping and I told him a air gun barreled action, not a firearm.

He then informed me that things had changed this month and they would no longer ship from individual to individual, and this included firearms of course but also air guns, paintball guns and air soft, he went on to say that since I was shipping to a dealer it was okay under their rules.

I was shocked and when the wife and I got out we were puzzled if he was telling us the law had changed or that FEDEX had changed their rules.

Shipping thru UPS here is a hassle because we have the UPS stores and they are not going to ship anything that shoots anything.

I get air guns shipped to me thru USPS, FEDEX and UPS, it is the getting them shippied that is the problem.

Now bear in mind this is Oregon and we have no restrictions from the State, the county or any city on airguns.

The one thing I was sure of after digesting all the information, was that this had to be a FEDEX rule change, if the FEDs had changed the rules concerneing air rifles it would have been all over the Yellow.

Respond to this message   
Leon Umsted
(Login ACGould)
YC

Another Uninformed Clerk

May 23 2012, 12:36 PM 

No change in FedEx regulations. If http://www.fedex.com/us/national/rulestariff/prohibited_articles.html does not clarify things for him, perhaps a call to the FedEx help line (1.800.GoFedEx 1.800.463.3339) will deal with it. Again, airguns are not firearms and are not covered or restricted in their regulations.

Respond to this message   
KW
(Login Whiteleather)
YFOT

Agree. If clerks don't know the rules call the company.

May 24 2012, 1:16 AM 

I called UPS to say my "UPS Store" refused to ship a legal package. The woman asked for name and location of store, item to be shipped, clerk to whom I spoke. She apologized for the inconvenience and hoped that I would continue to use UPS.

Respond to this message   

(Login ish00ttrap)
YF

I can't find anything applicable on the FedEx website

May 23 2012, 12:38 PM 

FedEx uses the Gun Control Act of 68 for its definition of firearms:

"FedEx Express will transport and deliver firearms as defined by the United States Gun Control Act of 1968, between areas served in the U.S., but only between:

1) Licensed importers; licensed manufacturers; licensed dealers; licensed collectors; law enforcement agencies of the U.S. or any department or agency thereof; and law enforcement agencies of any state or any department, agency or political subdivisions thereof; or

2) Where not prohibited by local, state and federal law, from individuals to licensed importers, licensed manufacturers or licensed dealers (and return of same)."

Airguns certainly don't qualify here, neither are they listed under dangerous goods, I can't find any grounds for your agent's assessment.

-Scot

Respond to this message   

(Login unrepentantsinner)
YF

Interresting, thanks Scott and Heath (NT)

May 23 2012, 1:09 PM 

Respond to this message   

(Login RBest)
YFOT

sometimes its not gov't. regs

May 23 2012, 9:47 PM 

But rather a companies insurance carrier. I learned this was the case with UPS franchiser stores. The carrier sets the policies.

"The Universe is comprised mainly of two things.. hydrogen and ignorance."
John Dobson
Inventor, astronomer and metaphysical thinker.

Respond to this message   

(Login theleetbeagle)

Print your own shipping labels and just drop it off...

May 23 2012, 9:57 PM 

USPS and UPS both allow (through their own sites and through Paypal) the printing of paid labels.

Then just take them to the respective clerk and drop it off. No questions asked or needed.

USPS has free pickup, too. UPS is paid, but any driver on the road and/or UPS Store will take it.

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Best way to ship an air pistol to a private party?
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Traj Plot by RC    Airgun Calculators    number of fills Calc    cc gun volumes    Add your Pic

******** Buy 3rd/4th gen FX Pumps for Superior quality and unbeatable 5 year factory Warranty.********

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.