YC

this is BEFORE

[IMG][linked image][/IMG]

this is AFTER

i hated those crummy forward mounting screws so...i changed them to 1/4"x20

i'm now waiting for the new piston seal and i'm honing the cylinder and installing the brass washers and the delrin spacer on the ram.

i cleaned up the trigger sear with a stone.

hopefully, it will show a worthwhile gain after all this...

never squat down while wearing your spurs...will rogers

This message has been edited by donwalk on Jun 18, 2012 7:40 PM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login Demp223)

Re: changes i made on NP trail (with pics)

June 18 2012, 10:46 PM 

Looking good. Can't wait to see final results. The trigger sear assembly was first thing I cleaned up on my Trail NP 22

Respond to this message   

(Login johnny366)
YF

i bought one

June 19 2012, 1:51 AM 

and don't know if it's the cheap scope or what. i've tried numerous pellets from light to heavy and can't get it to group any of them. hope you have better luck.

Respond to this message   
Charlie in CT
(Login ar6man)
YF

I've found that the Benjamin Trail NP XL

June 19 2012, 7:35 AM 

guns can be very hold sensitive. I have one in .22 (1100) and it's a dream to shoot with a very smooth firing sequence and not very hold sensitive. One of my .25 caliber (725) ones is a bear to shoot accurately. It's probably the most hold sensitive gas ram gun I've ever owned. When I do everything right, I get great results, but each accurate shot requires a ton more of focus on the basics than any of my other gas ram rifles. I have yet another .25 Trail that no matter what I do, the shots wander all over the target. I read of a neat trick someone else used to prove that the barrel isn't latching up in a repeatable manner causing his groups to shift. He mounded an inexpensive laser sight directly to the barrel, sighted the scope crosshairs onto the laser dot, and next, tracked how after cocking the rifle each time the scope crosshairs wandered off of the laser dot. I intend to try this trick with my impossible .25 because I've suspected all along that this is the issue. One thing all of these rifles do is shoot hard! Power is no issue.

Charlie

Respond to this message   

(Login donwalk)
YC

that laser idea

June 19 2012, 10:34 AM 

sounds good.

i have a laser bore sighting tool i use for my powderburners. (and it has a .22 cal bore feature.) i can use it for the NP, too, now that you mention it.

i suspect latch-up, the pivot washers (they are plastic and shown no signs of wear from contact) hold sensitivity, or a combination of them as the accuracy killer at times.

what lead me to do all this stuff, so far, was the fact that i could shoot, nearly, one-hole groups at 15 yards with it one day, the next day, the location of the groups change, or, i'd have one or two flyers in every group.

i have found it likes JSB match pellets very well and i've cycled an estimated 1500 rounds thru it.

the 'hold sensative' is a factor, too...but...what i have done, is to shoot from an adjustable, three-legged, caldwell, shooting rest, with a sandbagged support under the rifle forend. i never touch the front of the rifle. i use my left (free) hand to support the butt of the rifle so i get a good solid, 3-point, rest position; i estimate, it minimizes MY shooting errors, in my form.

i've also added a plastic riser on the cheek piece so i can get a better cheek weld.

in my particular situation, i do NOT have a very good standing/offhand so using the 'artillery hold' is my weakest application...i focus on sitting or prone.

jeeeeee...maybe i'd better go back to de-caf coffee...;^)

never squat down while wearing your spurs...will rogers

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - changes i made on NP trail (with pics)
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Traj Plot by RC    Airgun Calculators    number of fills Calc    cc gun volumes    Add your Pic

******** Buy 3rd/4th gen FX Pumps for Superior quality and unbeatable 5 year factory Warranty.********

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.