(Login shooter14)
YF

I'm assuming you are asking in regards to

September 12 2012, 6:50 PM 

Respond to this message   
Woody
(Login imwoody)
YF

Airgun definition according to NY hunting regs.

September 12 2012, 7:24 PM 

Air gun = a FIREARM that fires a projectile with spring or compressed gas not gun powder. Firearm ?? It bothers me a little bit that the folks that write the regulations don't know their butt from a hole in the ground.

Respond to this message   

M'hackett
(Login 22MK1)
YFOT

You can hunt any small game you can hunt with a .22RF

September 12 2012, 7:43 PM 

Makes no sense as the conservation law states .177 or larger and over 600 fps. You can shoot at targets off your back porch as long as there are no local ordinances saying otherwise because airguns are only considered firearms in Conservation law, not criminal law. Same deal with bow and arrow. You can shoot targets in your back yard with not restrictions because it is not considered a "firearm: unless you shoot it at a critter. For example my .45 Saver 909 with 245Gr boolets shooting at 590 fps would not be legal to shoot a red squirrel with because it is under 600 fps.

"Air guns may be used to hunt squirrels, rabbits, hares, ruffed grouse, and furbearers that may be hunted (e.g., raccoons and coyotes) and unprotected species. Air guns may not be used to hunt waterfowl, pheasant, wild turkey, or big game."

"Air gun - a firearm that uses spring or compressed air (not gunpowder) to propel a single projectile that is .17 caliber or larger and produces a muzzle velocity of at least 600 feet per second. Smooth or rifled bore air guns are allowed."

"It is illegal to discharge a firearm or bow:

* so that the load or arrow passes over any part of a public highway,
* within 500 feet of any school, playground, or an occupied factory or church,
within 500 feet of a dwelling, farm building or structure in occupation or use unless you own it, lease it, are an immediate member of the family, an employee, or have the owner's consent."

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/8312.html

If you have neighbors on either side less than 500', you can't shoot at a critter with an airgun even if your back yard is 2 miles deep but you can shoot at targets as long as pellet doesn't leave your property(and you aren't in "the other NY").

I don't know(or care) about any part of NYS South of the blue line but a lot of the "mail order" retailers won't ship airguns to NYS even though all the restrictions are NYC and Long Island, not NYS.

Respond to this message   

(Login robnewyork)
YF

correction , long island has the same laws as the state , not the city( 5 boroughs)

September 12 2012, 7:49 PM 

Inside the city all airguns are deemed illegal

[linked image]
"i never was much for book learnin"

Respond to this message   

(Login jamaicajed)
YF12

wow

September 12 2012, 8:57 PM 

even with an fid?

Respond to this message   

(Login robnewyork)
YF

with what ? sorry , nt

September 13 2012, 3:44 AM 

[linked image]

Respond to this message   

(Login jamaicajed)
YF12

Inside the city all airguns are deemed illegal

September 13 2012, 8:19 AM 

even with a Fierams ID card or LTC?

Respond to this message   

(Login robnewyork)
YF

yes , airguns are still illegal even with the right to carry a pistol

September 13 2012, 11:17 PM 

Only to pass thru for competition with written proof and no stopping is it legal..nj is worse.

[linked image]

Respond to this message   
KW
(Login Whiteleather)
YFOT

Kinda harsh there Mal.

September 12 2012, 9:27 PM 

NY State has an area of 54,555 sq miles. The area inside the blue line is about 9,375 sq miles. So you just discount anything happening in 80% of the state?

As for the laws in NY, remember that the DEC laws relate to hunting. There are county and city statutes that may be more strict than the DEC laws. Even target shooting in your back yard may be against the rules.

Any supplier not willing to ship to your or my parts of NY State should be publicized as unsupportive on the BOI. I haven't had any problems yet.

Respond to this message   

M'hackett
(Login 22MK1)
YFOT

Just everything on the other side of GW Bridge Kris

September 14 2012, 12:16 AM 

If you consider Orange County upstate NY this would apply. Sorry if I wasn't clear I meant on Bloomberg's side of the GW bridge. The worst thing that ever happened in my thinking is the Northway and those pushing for a Rooftop Highway Interstate to connect with the rest of the state should be careful what they wish for if it came true. They think because the can hop on and drive they'll be connected but find in reality they were bypassed. The only ghost town isn't Tahawas, it's RT9 from Lake George to Plattsburgh and allowed almost every piece of land on both side to be bought up
cheap by one tax exempt Word of Life holding or another from Warrensburg to North Hudson but for the hamlets
P1080364.jpgP1080373.jpg
No local regulations against me shooting Airgun in my backyard and I do regularly but have 't popped a pigeon or red squirrel
there since law changed. Not worth losing hunting privilges. Of course I might not be such a stickler but for a DEC officer living atop a 20' bank above my house happy.gif. It would like getting a DUI on a bicycle.

Respond to this message   
KW
(Login Whiteleather)
YFOT

Airgun are legal implements of take for game animals in NY State.

September 12 2012, 9:31 PM 

Any game that can be legally taken with a .22 rimfire can also be taken with an air gun. There is a minimum fps written into the regulations. All other rules for hunting apply regarding seasons, bag limits, and licensing.

This does NOT mean that airguns are legal to shoot in your back yard. You have to check with your county, town or city to see if they have further restrictions.

Respond to this message   

(Login ridgely)
YF

Thanks for the info and links

September 12 2012, 9:33 PM 

Trying to find info on Gov. web pages is hard. I see in the the NYS hunting regs that they now call .177 cal and larger, with a speed of 600 FPS, a firearm. I am going to have to call Albany and get this in writing, as my Neighbor is taking me to court for target shooting with my Crosman Co2 pellet pistol. Thanks again !!

Respond to this message   
DougWall
(Login DougWall)
YF

What Albany says-

September 13 2012, 7:18 AM 

may not mean anything for your local case. Local laws trump state laws when it come to shooting airguns on your own property. A lot of municipalities totally ban discharge of airguns, or anything else that has a projectile, within their areas.

Respond to this message   

M'hackett
(Login 22MK1)
YFOT

You need to check your local statutes

September 14 2012, 12:30 AM 

Even a bb gun discharge could be banned. The Internet isn't the place to be looking for answers in your situation. That is unless you are searching for YOUR town, village or county's Local Local Laws. Anything not stated as not permitted by local law is legal. For Local Laws to be enforcible they have to be on file with the NYS Secretary of State's Office but I don't know if you can search them on their web site.

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - New York State Air Gun laws
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Traj Plot by RC    Airgun Calculators    number of fills Calc    cc gun volumes    Add your Pic

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.