<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

most powerful BB gun?

September 14 2012 at 4:59 PM
j_williams  (Login j_williams)
YF

What is the most powerful BB gun out there? By BB gun I mean regular old .177 BBs like we all grew up terrorizing the neighborhood critters with.

This is a question that came to mind since I've been having a bunch of fun with an old Daisy 99. Fun gun, and it's just got me thinking about BB guns again. I thought I had outgrown BBs decades ago, but aparently not. Anyway, when thinking about BB guns, "How powerful can they be?" is an obvious question.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Mike in Maryville
(Login shooter58)
YC

Oops....

September 14 2012, 5:07 PM 

nt

This message has been edited by shooter58 on Sep 14, 2012 5:11 PM

Respond to this message   

REARSPROCKET
(Login REARSPROCKET)
YC

Re: Oops....

September 16 2012, 7:53 AM 

I have several Crosman V-350s that vary in speed from 360-500 fps. A rebuild with one of Ron's new springs puts these spring powered BB rifles in a class of their own.

Respond to this message   
Mike in Maryville
(Login shooter58)
YC

Re: most powerful BB gun?

September 14 2012, 5:08 PM 

Check out the Drozd forum for some mean BB guns.
http://bb.bbboy.net/straferbbmachinegunownersgroup-viewforum?forum=10

Respond to this message   

willy
(Login willy1)
YFOT

Mike are you in Marysville cal?i love that place for Pheasant

September 14 2012, 7:12 PM 

Strippers to.

system overloaded

Respond to this message   
Mike in Maryville
(Login shooter58)
YC

Maryville, Tennessee in sight of the Smokies

September 14 2012, 7:24 PM 

No pheasants in this Maryville, and no strippers either. Plenty of starlings, though, LOL

Respond to this message   
DREW
(Login flytie)
YC

I'm in knoxville!

September 14 2012, 10:10 PM 

Got a BIG game tomorrow against the Gators!

You do any hunting or just plinkin? Shoot me an email!

Regards,

Drew

[linked image]

Respond to this message   

arbiter17
(Login arbiter17)
YC

A couple of contenders

September 14 2012, 5:11 PM 

would have to be the Benjamin 3100 multi pump and the Benjamin 3030 hot shot gas gun.There are likely others,but these two were fairly potent.

Don't spend what you don't have.

Respond to this message   

Dukemeister
(Login TheDukeofKingston)
YF

It's a loaded question

September 14 2012, 5:12 PM 

pun intended of course.
AFAIK, guns designed to shoot BB are generally low power, probably because BB are loose fitting in a .177 barrel (I have measured BBs and they are typically 0.168-0.175" diameter. Now you can shoot BBs in a rifled barrel, but they will wear out the rifling in short order. My most powerful BB gun is the Airmaster 2100, it should spit BBs at about 725 fps, but I haven't and won't shoot BBs in it. I don't believe BBs do well at higher speeds.

Respond to this message   

David Enoch
(Login DavidEnoch)
YFOT

Benjamin 340BB?

September 14 2012, 5:32 PM 

I have a Benjamin 340BB which is like a 342 or 347 but is made to shoot BBs. I have not tried it at 8 pumps but it would be pretty potent.

David Enoch

Photobucket

Respond to this message   
RossB
(Login RossB)
YF

Benjamin 310/340

September 14 2012, 7:05 PM 

Benjamin 310/340
Adequate lubrication with heavy mineral oil
8 Pumps
Both sides of a Campbell soup can at 40 feet

Respond to this message   
ed
(Login ec1957)
YF

accurate or fast

September 14 2012, 7:20 PM 

I love bb-guns but like accuaccy over high power. One of the best values in a bb-shooter is the daisy grizzly single pump. 290-320 fps ave. excellent accuaccy for a bb-shooter able to get some 10 shot groups of 1 in at 33 ft. not every group about half of them. the daisy 35 on two is 400 fps an 475 an 3 pumps but not as accurate as the grizzly but still a good shooter. MY favorite is the older daisy 880 smooth bore the one with the blue reciever an all metal pump handle check ebay. very accurate an will do 710 fps with bb,s at 10 pumps mine is rebuild. best accuaccy is usally under 500 fps 400 seems about the best. The new red ryder with metal handle is accurate out to 10 yd,s an does about 260-270 fps. THe daisy 499 is very accurate at 5-8 yd,s but past that the grizzy will out shoot it. MY 499 is a hot one crony,s between 310-320 fps an sound like it needs some of jim heavy tar on the spring. Smooth bore seem to alway out shoot gun with rifle barrel.

Respond to this message   
robert
(Login gubb33ps)
YF

Agree about the pumpers...

September 14 2012, 7:24 PM 

..and tomorrow I'll get some numbers from a healthy 340. But steel BB accuracy is not its strong suit (power and smooth bore steel BB's seems to be an inverse relationship).

When I hear "bb gun", think of the traditionsal, spring -air, hold a bunch of BB's, repeater. Of the ones I played with as kid, the Older Daisly 25's and the Daisy 1894 (the one made to look like a Winchester lever action) seemed to get the most power. At least they did by the kid-sicience of shooting tin cans.

Respond to this message   
robert
(Login gubb33ps)
YF

numbers

September 15 2012, 11:11 AM 

Good condition 340. Usually shot at 2 or 3 pumps (smooth bores seem to resent being pushed too fast).

Max: 8 pumps

Steel BB = 834fps (about 7.7 foot pounds)
Lead shot = 758fps (about 10.2 foot pounds)
10.2gr. JSB = 727fps (about 11.9 foot pounds)

Min: 2 pumps:

steel BB = 507fps (about 2.9foot pounds)
lead shot = 445fps (about 3.5 foot pounds)
10.2gr. JSB = 437fps (about 4.3 foot pounds)

May not be fair. Old guns seem to have been bored with .177" lead shot in mind. It fits. Steel runs about .173-.174" and just drops though the barrel. With that bit of "rattle around room", they tend to zing off in unexpected directions. Even though a smooth bore, does its best with roun nosed/deep hollow base pellets (seems to need that "rock in a sock" weight stability).

This message has been edited by gubb33ps on Sep 15, 2012 11:18 AM

Respond to this message   
Jim in PGH
(Login 144man)
YF12

Crosman 782 Black Diamond was pretty hot.

September 14 2012, 7:47 PM 

CO2 version of the Crosman 781 SSP. On a warm day, it would really spit them out. Really fun gun.

I think we're all Bozos on this bus.

Respond to this message   
ed
(Login ec1957)
YF

smooth-bore barrel

September 14 2012, 8:31 PM 

I think if you could find some body to make a 174 dia smoothbore barrel for a crosman 1377 you would have a pretty nice shooter. I shoot empty shotgun shell out to 20 yd,s with some of my better bb-gun an the smallest dia barrel is 177 an most bb,s are 171-173 dia so I think a 174 or 175 barrel would do good for longer distance plinking.

Respond to this message   

robny
(Login robnewyork)
YF

put a magnet at the breach of a benjamin npxl 1500

September 14 2012, 8:47 PM 

The bbs will hit 1600 fps no issue

[linked image]
"i never was much for book learnin"

Respond to this message   
Jim
(Login Riversidesports)
YF

a Drozd on HPA with a long barrel can easily do 800FPS

September 14 2012, 9:26 PM 

seen some claims of over 1000 FPS for fully tricked out guns
another one that gets little attention is the Italian SM45 semi auto carbine manufactured by Marocchi
on high power it blasts copper washed lead BBs at well over 600 FPS through a Lothar Walther barrel, mine is extremely reliable and quite accurate
80 round magazine, only down side is it uses the 88 gram CO2 cartridges
[linked image]

Respond to this message   
Greg Young
(Login gy954)
YF

Drozd!

September 15 2012, 11:44 AM 

I see the Drozd has already been mentioned here, but let me add my $0.02 worth. Adding a longer barrel can add 100 fps. There is an active modders community whose forum is:

http://bb.bbboy.net/straferbbmachinegunownersgroup-viewforum?forum=10

[IMG][linked image][/IMG]

Respond to this message   

Nate S
(Login TechForce)
YC

Now that is very cool looking...

September 15 2012, 1:40 PM 

I think you could chase a squirrel up a tree with a clip outta that thing...and probably still have the accuracy to knock him out when he got to the top wink.gif hehe Very neat for sure. If I may ask what kind of performance do you get from that...and what power source are running?

Kind Regards,

~ Nate S ~

P.S. I just found out about that Marocchi SM the other day myself...and that looks way cool too...maybe a tad expensive for what it is, but then again, it's Italian made. Imagine it would cost a lot to shoot though.

Respond to this message   

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Traj Plot by RC    Airgun Calculators    number of fills Calc    cc gun volumes    Add your Pic

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.