<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

My new 4-12 Hawke Airmax EV and why I don't play the lottery!

September 16 2012 at 9:02 AM

Ed Canoles  (Login nced1)

I've had my new Hawke Airmax for less than a week and yesterday I noticed that the poi at 10 yards was exactly the same as it was at the 30 yard zero distance (really odd), and it had about a 1/4" mid-range rise at 20 yards. This was REALLY odd since I know from years of shooting using medium SportsMatch mounts that the poi of a CPL flying at 880fps with a 30 yard zero SHOULD have a midrange of about 1/8" at around 25 yards and the poi should be about 1/2" low at 10 yards. The strangest thing I've ever seen, it's almost like focusing the AO from 30 yards to 10 yards was also changing the poi big time! I was also clicking the windage/elevation knobs chasing my poi at different ranges. Surprised that I was getting this after so little shooting I mounted the "warranty repaired" 4-12 Vortex Diamondback scope and the "chasing the poi" issue went away. LOL....at first I thought that either I was having a bad shooting day or I had some "R9 issues", but the issues turned out to be "Hawke issues".

A couple comments about the Hawke optics after using it at my back yard hunter class field target practice range. First I did find that the optics were very good with outdoor lighting however I found the MAP6 reticule to be less than useful for my purpose. Actually, the "dots" were a bit too small to be seen inside the dark killzone of my field targets. The dot spacing wasn't bad, just that the dots weren't very useful on a real dark background like the inside of a field target killzone.

Concerning reticule "dots"........
I prefer the dot size and spacing of the 4-12 Vortex Diamondback scope with the BDC reticule, however I liked the thinner crosshairs of the cheap WallyMart Center Point scope (the one that developed a poi shift mid match) better, and the CP scope dots were about the same size as the Diamondback.
Concerning reticule dot spacing........
The Center Point reticule dot spacing is pretty useful for my airgun shooting, however when practicing with my brother before the last match I noticed that the spacing of the first dot to the crosshair was about 3/8" at 11 yards at 12x. This is the same spacing my brother got between tip of the lower post and crosshair of his Elite 4200 duplex reticuled scope at 12x. Since I haven't needed to aim even "two dots high" at 55 yards with the CP scope I really don't think that mill dots are any more useful that "points on a duplex reticule". Perhaps 1/2 mill dots would be more useful for our springers. Anywhoo......for distances where my brother had to "bracket" the killzone between the post and crosshair, I had to bracket the killzone between the crosshair and the first lower dot. By the way, we both were using .177 R9s shooting CPLs at 880fps (me) and 890fps (him) using medium height mounts so the trajectories were similar.

The Airmax is going in for warranty work since I do like the size, weight and optics, and it will be a good backup scope to the Diamondback IF it barfs again. Hummmmmm.......that's assuming that the repaired Airmax has the moxy to stand up to my 13fpe springer. LOL happy.gif

This message has been edited by nced1 on Sep 16, 2012 9:04 AM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Rob
(Login EMrider)
YF

IIRC, you are having quite a few "scope issues" lately. nt

September 16 2012, 10:15 AM 

Respond to this message   

Larry Miller
(Login breakfastchef)
YF

Return The Hawke

September 16 2012, 10:33 AM 

I also picked up a 4-12x40 Airmax EV and POI was way out of kilter moving between a 30 yard target and the 50 yard target. Pellets impacts were high and right going from 3o to 50 yards and a tad to the right going back from 50 to 30 yards. Returned the scope and Hawke said there was an AO misalignment. They sent me a new scope, but I have not yet had it in the field.

I agree that the MAP6 reticle dots are a bit small. Great idea, but very difficulat to use on any target with a black bull.

Respond to this message   
Mike
(Login Mike17670)
YF

Small dots for small targets. NT

September 16 2012, 11:24 AM 

Respond to this message   

Ed Canoles
(Login nced1)

Yep, if you can see the dots .........hummm, bet they would work GREAT when........

September 16 2012, 9:16 PM 

aiming at white snowshoe hares! happy.gif

Respond to this message   
Jim in SWMO
(Login jmhenrichs)
YF

Re: My new 4-12 Hawke Airmax EV and why I don't play the lottery!

September 16 2012, 10:55 AM 

I'm not liking the sound of this. I've got two of the 4-12x40 Airmax EV scopes. Guess I better check mine and see if their POI wanders at different distances, too.

Thanks for the heads-up, guys......I think. lol

"You've come far, pilgrim."------"Feels like far."
"Were it worth the trouble?"----"Ah, what trouble?"

Respond to this message   
Brad Warren
(Login 157bradley)
YC

Ed you sure are having troubles.....

September 16 2012, 11:02 AM 

I hate to see a nice guy like you having such troubles.

Please shoot me an email. I may be able to help you.

regards, Brad Warren

Respond to this message   

Jim
(Login JimL911)
YC

Re: My new 4-12 Hawke Airmax EV and why I don't play the lottery!

September 16 2012, 12:13 PM 

I don't have the EV model but found the same problem with the small dots against a black background on my first generation models. The Panorama is your answer. Just light it up when needed. You can also get it in the 1/2 mil dot. I have a 3-9 and 4-12 and love them.

Happy Canuck

Respond to this message   

Ed Canoles
(Login nced1)

I spoke to a Hawke tech person on the phone and PERHAPS there is.........

September 17 2012, 7:00 PM 

no problem with the new Hawke. I mentioned that the first thing I did was to optically center the reticule via the "mirror method" (often mentioned here), however I was told that optically centering using a mirror is an often used "old wives tale" that isn't correct. I was told that the Hawke scopes are already optically centered from the factory. IF this is true then perhaps his characterization of "mirror centering" is correct because the REFLECTION of the reticule in the mirror wasn't centered when the scope was first unpacked.

I was told by the "Hawke tech guy" that the ONLY way to properly center a reticule was via the ole "rotate in a v-notch" method. I mentioned that the Hawke instructions say to turn the turrets from stop to stop counting the turns, then turn the turret in (or out) 1/2 of the counted turns. I was told that those instructions are being revised because the erector springs don't maintain tension for the full travel of the "clicks". I was told that one full turret turn from each stop is simply "slop" and does nothing to move the reticule. He also mentioned that if the gun zero puts the reticule in this "erector spring tension free zone" then the poi will float around. I guess I'll go back to my "old school" way of centering the reticule, then tweaking the barrel till the poi is within 1/2" of the point of aim at 30 yards, then retest the functioning of the scope by an actual shooting session.

The tech guy also mentioned that Hawke has a fixture for testing if the zero shifts with recoil and he even gave me a RMA number if I wanted to send the scope in for inspection.

First I contacted Optics Planet (where I bought the scope) for their warranty procedure and told them of the issues I was having. I was told that there was no Optics Planet warranty since I had already mounted the scope, to which I asked "how would I know if there was a warranty issue if the scope wasn't mounted". The nice lady said "I understand your position, however we cant resell a scope once it's mounted". I kinda chuckled and said "so are you telling me that I may have been sold a scope that was previously returned?" Then I was told that "no, we never resell returned scopes", to which I thanked her for the "help" and then I called the Hawke tech support guy. Hummmmm.....this little episode kinda threw cold water on my buying another scope from Optics Planet, regardless of the price and free shipping!

Respond to this message   
Jim in SWMO
(Login jmhenrichs)
YF

That's interesting.

September 17 2012, 11:57 PM 

I wonder if the tech you spoke with meant the scopes are MECHANICALLY centered. Reason I say that is I just looked at the Airmax I recently received and both the elevation & windage adjustments are pretty much in the center of their adjustment range, according to the horizontal markings on the turret shafts. (I like those horizontal markings BTW. They let you know about where you're at in the adjustment range.) And thinking back to what my other one was like before I "centered" it with a mirror, the turrets on it were in almost the same positions as the new one. Think I'll mount the new one as is. If it's not too far off I'll just tweak the barrel and see how it goes.

A full turn at each end of the adjustment is just "empty" clicks, huh? That doesn't seem right, though. I could understand that possibly happening at the end with the spring fully extended and no longer able to move the erector tube. But at the other end of adjustment, I would think that once the spring is fully compressed the turret would no longer turn. If it did, seems to me that it would dent the erector tube.

As for Optics Planet. It sounds like their "warranty" is only good if you find something obviously wrong with the product when you open the box, otherwise it's between you and the manufacturer. Sounds to me like as long as they make the sale that's all they care about. Yep, sounds like a good place to avoid to me.

Thanks for the update/info, Ed.

"You've come far, pilgrim."------"Feels like far."
"Were it worth the trouble?"----"Ah, what trouble?"

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Traj Plot by RC    Airgun Calculators    number of fills Calc    cc gun volumes    Add your Pic

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.