<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Compare the hold sensitivity of HW80 (R1) and HW95 (R9)?

December 7 2012 at 12:20 AM
C. Jones  (Login limbshaker)
YF12

Ive been trying to decide on one of these rifles to possibly purchase for a while now and I was just wondering how they compared as far as hold sensitivity/ease of shooting? Either one will be getting a drop in tune kit immediately, and either one will be wearing a Hawke Airmax 2-7x32. No crazy high power maxed out tunes, just a PG2 Vortek kit for either. I plan to get either in .22 caliber. The gun will be used almost exclusively for hunting. I'm not a long time diehard springer guy, and I've never even seen a HW or Beeman in person, but hope to own one soon. Pumping my hot rodded Benjamin 392 is gettin old! Thanks for any insight!

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login Airgunmanart)
YF

re hold senitivity,,,,

December 7 2012, 12:45 AM 

"Loose as a Goose" and you should do well. It's not an M1Grannd. If you tune it,that's a plus, love those spring guns. It works for me.

Respond to this message   

(Login 1keloso1)
YF

R9's rule any day of the week

December 7 2012, 2:53 AM 

I have owned four R9's and have owned R1's and hw80's and loved them all, I sell them and because I'm always chasing that perfect rifle. But after all the dust settles I always buy a another R9 and that should say some thing about R9's as are defensibly my favorite spring rifle in any cal, I must admit that I have never fired one in .22 cal, that must be one fine shooting rifle. The R9 is easier to handle and point at least for me and as for accuracy the R9 and R1 are both as accurate.
My Goldfinger Beeman R9 in .20 cal keeps impressing me as any crow pigeon or starling is fair game out to 60 yards. Man I need to get one in .22 or at least buy the .22 barrel.

Respond to this message   

(Login TK171)
YF

I would opt for the R1 or HW80 in carbine form.

December 7 2012, 7:19 AM 

Jmho, Better use of the power plant in .22 caliber. The R9 might be a great rifle I have no doubt, but might not be up to your needs in velocity and power for longer range on fur such as squirrel. Not saying the R9 can't do it, but there is no doubt the R1 will get the job done wink.gif. The R1 is about as simple in design of springer as you will ever find. Super easy to service/kit/fine tune. That's my two cents.

FWB Sporters. The best there is!!!!

Respond to this message   

Ed Canoles
(Login nced1)

Actually......kinda like liking oranges or clementines.

December 7 2012, 7:43 AM 

The R1 is a rather large and heavy springer (compared to the R9), however I believe that the R1 construction is more "robust" than the R9 with larger receiver tube and a milled solid steel screw in end cap as opposed to the cast pot metal R9 end plug. The R1 also has a rather heavy wire mainspring that isn't as affected by shooting heavy pellets as the lighter wire R9 spring. LOL.....all this has to do about the extra weight.

Concerning caliber......I personally feel that the larger/heavier R1 would be best in .22 cal since the .177 cal causes the gun to be a bit strangled as it would be pushing a lot of air volume through a .177 bore. On the positive side, the heavy wire R1 spring will handle the heavy 10.5 grain .177 pellets without a whimper.

Personally, I haven't found a thing that I can't do with my .177 R9, and my R9s over the years have worn .20 and .22 barrels (the .22 barrels were chopped and choked R1 barrels). While all calibers worked well with the R9 (especially if the shooting distance is "30 yardish", I ended up selling all the "fat bores" and have owned only .177 cal for years due to the flatter trajectory which makes range estimation in the woods less critical.

Respond to this message   
C. Jones
(Login limbshaker)
YF12

Thanks everybody

December 7 2012, 8:12 AM 

I realize the power and trajectory difference between the two, both being in .22 caliber. I don't mind getting closer to take the shot. Thats part of the fun happy.gif

I'd be open to .177 in the R9, but I'm concerned that it may be a little harder to shoot accurately vs. the .22. I'd love to hear a comparison of the two as I'm likely to be wrong. I'm new to the springer scene.

I've also been wondering how a barrel sleeve or other form of adding weight at the muzzle end would affect the firing characteristics? I love the feel and stability of a bull barreled rimfire, and was wondering if springers may benefit the same? I can't afford an HW98/R11 with the sweet sleeved barrel but was thinking I may could just buy the barrel and swap it onto an R9 or R1 Carbine. I don't really need the adjustable stock..

I'm ultimately just looking for the most forgiving gun to shoot. I know that the R7 fits that bill but it aint gonna cut the mustard in the "oomph" department wink.gif

Respond to this message   

Ed Canoles
(Login nced1)

"I can't afford an HW98/R11".....well, you could buy a R11 barrel........

December 7 2012, 9:20 AM 

from here.......http://www.specialtyshootingsportsoutdoors.com/air-gun-parts/weihrauch/barrels/weihrauch-hw98-beeman-r11-barrel-177-cal.html

Shooting a springer is a learning experience however I found that my .177 cal R9s were more accurate than either the .20 cal or .22 cal barrel. Keep in mind that when I had a .20 cal barrel on my R9 there wasn't a .20 cal JSB pellet available so perhaps things have changed.

Anywhoo.....here are a few pics of some "above the norm for me" .177 R9 groupings.......

11 yards.....
[IMG][linked image][/IMG]

18 yards......

30 yards.......

50 yards.......

Here is are more normal groupings for me when testing out the accuracy of Beeman FTS pellets compared to die lot marked 7.9 grain Crosman Premier lights............

Here is a pic of one of my field targets showing 15 out of 20 CPLs going through a 3/4" kill zone at 50 yards shot hunter class field target style (sitting on a bucket resting the gun on cross sticks) using one of my .177 R9s.................

Respond to this message   

(Login cvarcher)
YFOT

HW50s in 177cal will easily dispatch out to 50 yards

December 7 2012, 5:21 PM 

and guaranteed no hold sensitivity at all. Easier to be more accurate with it ands its a handier lighter shorter carbine,yet still Weirauch.A little cheaper too. One guy that posts regularly took a cottontail out to 62 yards with his and it went clean thru the head. I have the gun in 22cal so the trajectory is not going to cut it at 50 yards but more 35-40yards with a good punch.

Respond to this message   

(Login TK171)
YF

Oranges and clemintines. Funny stuff Ed. ;) nt

December 7 2012, 8:18 AM 

FWB Sporters. The best there is!!!!

Respond to this message   

(Login AirSmithCA)
YFOT

I've always said an R1 Carbine in .20 is the best all around airgun.

December 7 2012, 9:05 PM 

But I own an R9 . A .22 would he great to. Don't fall into the mindset that you need to up the power if you buy the R1.

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Compare the hold sensitivity of HW80 (R1) and HW95 (R9)?
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Traj Plot by RC    Airgun Calculators    number of fills Calc    cc gun volumes    Add your Pic

******** Buy 3rd/4th gen FX Pumps for Superior quality and unbeatable 5 year factory Warranty.********

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.