<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

ballistic coeficient

September 22 2013 at 2:42 PM
wesley  (Login bigfish123)
YF12

Do any of the pellet companies publish the ballistic coefficients of there pellets? If so where would I find them.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Larry Miller
(Login breakfastchef)
YF

Not That I Have Seen

September 22 2013, 3:02 PM 

I've not seen any manufacturer list BEs for their pellets. My understanding from reading the Yellow and other forums is that BC can vary by such factors as distance, velocity and even barrel type. Sort of a moving number, though averages do help in setting up trajectory calculations in ChairGun Pro, for example.

Aside from the database in ChairGun Pro, these two may be useful references:

http://www.photosbykev.com/wordpress/userfiles/pelletdata.htm

http://www.chronoconnect.com/?page=pellet-list

Respond to this message   

Steve in NC
(Login pneuguy)
GM

Gamo publishes retained velocity vs distance figures for their pellets which are...

September 22 2013, 5:41 PM 

...easily converted to BC using this AoA online calculator: http://www.airgunsofarizona.com/Calcs.html

So far as I know, Gamo's the only pellet manufacturer that does.

Steve

Respond to this message   

Yrrah
(Login Yrrah)
YFOT

Yes Steve, but what is the published data worth?

September 23 2013, 7:45 AM 

I have just written a review for Gamo USA on their Gamo Master Point .22 and referenced this video for the consumers.

Two different pellets, Gamo and JSB Straton, but of similar shape and weights, shot from the same rifle in the same conditions:

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Kyogle/media/Videos.mp4.html

It would be interesting to see Gamo attempt to derive a BC from a test over chronographs at the range these were shot; but not with my chronographs thank you! ...............

Best regards, Harry.

Respond to this message   

Andy H.
(Login AndyH44)

GAMO should stop making pellets and wasting lead! Can't change

September 23 2013, 10:30 AM 

my mind on this topic!

Respond to this message   

Steve in NC
(Login pneuguy)
GM

As best I recall, Harry, the Gamo numbers are plausible...

September 23 2013, 4:20 PM 

...but I've never attempted to check them, personally.

My reply was merely in answer to the original question as posed.

Steve

Respond to this message   

Yrrah
(Login Yrrah)
YFOT

Agreed Steve; 0.0154 BC for a poor .22 pellet seems about right

September 23 2013, 7:23 PM 

to 30 yards when the advertised range/velocity figures are derived to a BC ; as is the plausibility of 1.02" grouping Gamo advertise at the 30 yd range. Putting that BC into context it is about the same or not quite as good as a .22 ball shot.

My video does indicate that flight to 30 yards may be OK for a 1.02" group - then, as Robert would say, they get "stupid". sad.gif ...

So yes I agree, plausible, and as is always the case, it is up to the consumer to assess the product's actual performance value. .......... Best regards, Harry.

Respond to this message   

Yrrah
(Login Yrrah)
YFOT

Duplicate; annoying ... nt

September 23 2013, 7:46 AM 

nt

This message has been edited by Yrrah on Sep 23, 2013 7:47 AM

Respond to this message   
juancitowalker
(Login juancitowalker)
YF12

Re: ballistic coeficient

September 22 2013, 11:22 PM 

The thing is that the BC of a given pellet varies considerably when shot from different guns. Pellets are a different world than bullets!

Respond to this message   
Miles
(Login Miles_M)
YF12

H&N

September 23 2013, 4:28 AM 

publish some retained velocity figures at different distances for some of their pellets on their website.

Respond to this message   

Steve in NC
(Login pneuguy)
GM

These H&N pellet data sheets list actual BCs. Very nice. Thanks for the tip!

September 23 2013, 4:29 PM 

This message has been edited by pneuguy on Sep 23, 2013 4:42 PM

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Traj Plot by RC    Airgun Calculators    number of fills Calc    cc gun volumes    Add your Pic

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.