<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Decibel meter testing for 5 popular rilfes (includes NC comparison)

October 2 2013 at 11:17 PM
Brian  (Login gunnerKY)
YF12

Hello all,

I know the question about "back yard friendliness" has been asked many times on this forum.

The marauder seems to be to gold standard of quiet and its often asked how one rifle or another compares to it.

Well, just for the sake of curiosity, I bought a decibel meter to test out my arsenal.

To set the test up, I put my mete on the 60-80db scale and placed in on a tripod about 3 feet infront of the muzzle and about 45 degrees to the side. I put it on min / max and took the highest reading of 5 shots. Shots were fired from inside the basement to a target in the back yard so while the numbers might be inflated slightly due to the enclosed area, the comparisons should still be valid.

Here are the results...

.22 Marauder.....73.6db
.22 FX Royale (with Huggett LDC).....75.4
.22 Daystate Huntsman Classic (with Huggett shroud).....75.7db
.25 Cricket with original shroud.....88.5db
.25 Cricket with NC shroud.....75.6db!!!
.22 Beeman R9 springer.....88.6db
.17 TX200.....80.3

As suspected, the Mrod is in fact the quietest rifle, but what blew my mind is the NC shroud for my Cricket .25. It brought the sound down to the same level as the smaller caliber .22 FX and Daystates WITH the high performance Huggett systems! That Cricket shoots over 50FPE too!

In my opinion, anything registering in the 70's are very back yard friendly. My TX200 is borderline and the R9 is on the high side depending on your neighbors.

Well, hope this helps for some of your future purchases!

Take care,

Brian

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Michael Wendt
(Login thegr8wendt)
YF12

What kind of DB meter did you use?

October 2 2013, 11:23 PM 

I tried doing the same thing with my smart phone & a free app. Didn't work so well in the wind. I ran out of time but my next effort was to move it inside for more controlled results.

Thx for doing this!

~MW~

Respond to this message   
MikeSSS
(Login MikeSSS)
YF12

Superb information, very valuable, thanks. nt

October 2 2013, 11:31 PM 

Respond to this message   
Keoni A.
(Login itsmekeoni)
YF

Good post but what was the reading for ambient noise where you were testing? nt

October 2 2013, 11:35 PM 

-Keoni

====================================================

Respond to this message   
Neil Clague
(Login neilclague)
YF12

It would not register ambient background levels

October 2 2013, 11:53 PM 

Keoni if you look at his settings it is very unlikely the ambient background noise would register on the meter. Some meters have to be set for a range that you think the sound will be in, say 60 to 80dbs and anything below that does not register, anything above that will show some kind of message that the range needs to be increased. I had a meter like that a long time ago and gave it away and bought a decent one, Neil.

Respond to this message   
Keoni A.
(Login itsmekeoni)
YF

Is that how it works?

October 3 2013, 12:22 AM 

The only meter I ever tried would register ambient noise and then the noise from the airgun on top of the ambient noise. Thanks for clearing that up Neil!

-Keoni

Respond to this message   
Neil Clague
(Login neilclague)
YF12

Not all of them do

October 3 2013, 12:28 AM 

Some meters have a range from 30 to 120 but that varies for meter to meter and there again there is the meter as used in this test that has to be set for a certain range, say 40 to 60 or 60 to 80 and they only register numbers between those figures. My meter registers from very low background noise up to about 130dbs, not totally sure on the max as I have never managed to get that high. I think the highest I managed to peak at was 110dbs. All the best, Neil.

Respond to this message   
Martin Orro
(Login morrodds)
YC

dB meters

October 3 2013, 12:59 AM 

Greetings Neil,

I'm ignorant as to the different types of dB meters. I understand a bit about frequency weighting filters, but am unsure as to which type to use in the context of airgun noise levels.

Is there a preferred type of meter to do these types of comparisons?

Thanx, Martin

'It used to be only death and taxes; now, of course, there's shipping and handling, too.'

Respond to this message   
Neil Clague
(Login neilclague)
YF12

I do not even bother with them

October 3 2013, 1:33 AM 

I do not base anything on db readings of db meters, my goal is to make shrouds and LDC's for guns so that they are easy on the ears and enable shooters to shoot at home without upsetting the neighbors. If you have a gun that is very quiet what does it matter how many dbs it makes? I know from experience that the human ear detects things differently and to some shooters the only way to find out what is actually quietest is to use a meter. But I still say what does it matter, if shroud 1 measures 85 dbs and shroud 2 measures 75dbs but shroud 1 sounds quieter to my ears I am going to use shroud 1 so what is the real point of knowing how many dbs a report is. Plus readings vary so much from meter to meter and varying conditions what is the real number to use as a baseline for what is acceptable? If you feel the need to get one I would suggest getting a mid range one, not the cheapest and not the most expensive, just one that will give consistent results and not vary from shot to shot. You should be able to pick up a fairly reasonable one for about $85, I know there will be those who argue against that, but I would not buy one of the $30 models, I have given away several of them, they are not worth wasting your money on, Neil.

Respond to this message   
Martin Orro
(Login morrodds)
YC

Thanx

October 3 2013, 1:51 AM 

My interest is in comparing the various airguns I have made and purchased. Many people inquire as to the noise level of my replicas and I don't have a good answer. Since I have several PCP, CO2 and springer rifles it might be interesting to compare them to 200+ year old tech.

Martin

'It used to be only death and taxes; now, of course, there's shipping and handling, too.'

Respond to this message   
Neil Clague
(Login neilclague)
YF12

If you need one e-mail me

October 3 2013, 1:54 AM 

Martin if you would like to use mine for a while for testing I am ok with letting you use it for a month or so. I do not want to get rid of it as it does come in handy once in a while when my ears do not tell me what I need to know, Neil.

Respond to this message   
Doug
(Login dyotat100)
YF12

Re: Decibel meter testing for 5 popular rilfes (includes NC comparison)

October 2 2013, 11:48 PM 

The only way it is comparable is if they are same caliber and shooting same fps. With power comes noise.

Respond to this message   
Doug
(Login dyotat100)
YF12

Re: Decibel meter testing for 5 popular rilfes (includes NC comparison)

October 2 2013, 11:48 PM 

The only way it is comparable is if they are same caliber and shooting same fps. With power comes noise.

Respond to this message   
Neil Clague
(Login neilclague)
YF12

He mentioned that in his post

October 3 2013, 12:00 AM 

If you read his post he said he was surprised by my shroud bringing his 25 caliber Cricket down to the levels of his smaller caliber guns. He is not trying to make direct comparisons he is just making a statement, why are people ready to criticize posters who are just trying to give out results of tests they have made, he is just posting results he got from various guns, no detailed analysis or trying to make direct comparisons, just a few simple DB numbers, why can't it just be taken for what it is worth. I do not think any of us set up laboratories and do scientific testing of them!

Respond to this message   
Doug
(Login dyotat100)
YF12

Re: He mentioned that in his post

October 3 2013, 12:59 AM 

Not trying to criticize.

I'm just saying that fps makes a big difference in sound out put.

What fps is each gun shooting at?

I can turn my .25 or .257 down to 800 fps and be quieter than anything out there.

I have spent sometime building different shroud setups and experimenting with my condors to come up with what I have.

This message has been edited by dyotat100 on Oct 3, 2013 1:13 AM

Respond to this message   
Neil Clague
(Login neilclague)
YF12

Purpose of a shroud

October 3 2013, 1:22 AM 

Doug if you are going to turn a guns power down to achieve a quiet report then there is no real need for a shroud, the idea of a shroud is to be able to use the gun at full power or a high power for hunting or whatever without upsetting neighbors or doing damage to the ears of yourself and others. I would not expect the person who posted the results would turn the 25 caliber Cricket down to a lower power than the other guns to try and post favorable results, the object of his post was to show how various shrouds worked compared to others, the fact that they are on different guns with different calibers really does not prove anything in the real world other than the Cricket with my shroud on was comparable to the smaller caliber guns with other makers shrouds on them. The only real way to do a direct comparison is to put them on the same guns shooting at the same velocity and power. But that was not what the tester was trying to do, he was just posting some informative figures to let other shooters get some idea of what to expect from different guns. We can all turn our guns power down to achieve a quiet report but what we are trying to show is that you can use guns on full power with an effective shroud on them, without having to alter the power of them. Neil.

Respond to this message   
Keoni A.
(Login itsmekeoni)
YF

"With power comes noise", true but...

October 3 2013, 12:20 AM 

...isn't it something when a larger more powerful airguns is quieter? I agree with Neil this wasn't supposed to be a scientific test and there isn't much reason for one. It would be nice to see a Marauder compared in all calibers against each other, my money is on the .177 being louder than the .22!

-Keoni

Respond to this message   
sactargetshooter
(Login sactargetshooter)
YF

Thanks for the information!

October 3 2013, 12:58 AM 

That is good information to have. If each of us do our part and post our results, we will soon have a good database. The nice part of the dB scale is that it is not distance sensitive. Let's say I collect my data from my guns, but I place the meter 5 feet from muzzle, the relative differences is still valid. If a gun is 3dB more quiet than another gun, it is 3dB more quiet regardless of distance to sound meter.

NC products are worth every penny. 3dB is about doubling. This means in linear scale, the NC shroud reduces the sound of your .25 Cricket to 1/(2*2*2*2)=1/16 compared to the original shroud! I observe about the same kind of differences with my guns with NC products.

Respond to this message   
Daniele
(Login Daniele5)
YF12

Thank you

October 3 2013, 2:07 AM 

Interesting post.
I didn't know pcps were so quite compare to springers.

Respond to this message   
Neil Clague
(Login neilclague)
YF12

They are not unless they have a shroud or LDC on them/ NT

October 3 2013, 2:15 AM 

Respond to this message   

< Previous Page 1 2 3 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Traj Plot by RC    Airgun Calculators    number of fills Calc    cc gun volumes    Add your Pic

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.