Pepper King  (Login pepncas)
YF

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login hpahunter)
YF

tuned up samyang 909s .45

December 13 2013, 2:49 PM 

In response to your range question, i own a sam yang .45 that has taken several deer from 30 to 90 yards with 143 grain round balls. Rifle is dead on to 65 yards then starts to drop a lot. At 90 yards the rifle drops almost 2 feet. The rifle will launch a 143 grain .457 round ball 900 feet per second at the muzzle. I have not hog hunted with it but, i would feel comfortable on a hog up to 65 yards. I dont know about the other cals. But, would vouch for the .45.

Respond to this message   

Pepper King
(Login pepncas)
YF

I like the 909s 45. Who tuned it?

December 13 2013, 6:54 PM 

Respond to this message   
robert stephens
(Login hpahunter)
YF

rifle was tuned by.....

December 13 2013, 8:21 PM 

Mr. Dan mcvey, owner of xp airguns, then resealed by will piatt at saddle mountain gunsmith a couple years later. My first two shots are only 15 feet per second apart. I have owned several different big bores but, have stayed true to the sam yang.

Respond to this message   
Ron Robinson
(Login compressive)
YC

Not all hogs are created equal, but

December 13 2013, 3:02 PM 

Assuming brain shots, little difference between the calibers on any hog; more a matter of correct ammo choice with any of those calibers.

Assuming chest shots, I'd gravitate toward the .45 or .50 for larger hogs... but strongly recommend educating yourself on big-bore airgun ballistics and the advantages and disadvantages of different projectiles.

Respond to this message   

(Login hpahunter)
YF

big bore ammo.

December 13 2013, 3:31 PM 

I have limited experience with cast bullets in a sam yang .45 because all i have tried have either been too loose or too tight. The best i can guess for my rifle would be a fairly soft .456 slug. The horniday .457 r.balls seem to be the right fit and weight for deer but, i have only taken one with a body shot, that shot was at 50 yards thru heavy cedar limbs which resulted in a almost full pass thru. The ball was lodged just under the hide on the opposite side. I took a head/neck shot on one in a open power line at 90yards. I elevated a foot over the head, the deer was standing broadside looking at me, and the ball hit 6 inches below the head directly in the throat, which also broke the neck. It was a medium size 8 point buck, that dropped where it stood. I was amazed on that shot. If i could keep my shots on a hog within 50 yards with that rifle, i would love to try a 250 grain, or so mr. Hollow point cast slug on the hogs body.

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - How do the effective ranges compare Sam yang 357/45/50 cal? Hog hunting
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Traj Plot by RC    Airgun Calculators    number of fills Calc    cc gun volumes    Add your Pic

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.