<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

FWB 300 Universal - refinished stock pics for Joe Wayne Rhea

February 16 2017 at 12:36 PM

Ed  (Login USMA-1982)
YF12

As requested - MinWax Dark Walnut stain with 10 coats of Formby's tung oil finish and final rub out with Renaissance micro-crystalline wax.

Before

[linked image]

After

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Joe Wayne Rhea
(Login JoeWayneRhea)
YF12

Oh man that is BEAUTIFUL !!/!!

February 16 2017, 1:41 PM 

Fantastic work Ed !!!/

Respond to this message   
Paul in Zhills
(Login jps2486)
YF

Just got my FWB300 Mini stock back from Joe Rhea

February 16 2017, 3:20 PM 

I think Joe did a very stunning job as well. Wish my photography was a bit better.

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

Respond to this message   

Ed
(Login USMA-1982)
YF12

Very nice!

February 17 2017, 5:12 PM 

Joe Wayne does good work!

Respond to this message   
brent s
(Login b1nine7o)
YF

I like the befores mostly.

February 16 2017, 6:51 PM 

IMO the fwb dark walnut stain goes with the black stippling and black action better. The blond wood has to much contrast and looks choppy to me. But it is good looking wood.

brent s

Respond to this message   
HornetB
(Login HornetB)
YF

I'm in the same camp

February 17 2017, 12:23 AM 

The refinished stocks aren't to my tastes.

Too glossy, and too harsh between black stippling and the light timber.

I am also not a fan of the refinished beech one as it just always seems to look "dirty" for a better word.

But each to their own.

Enjoy them.

Respond to this message   
Sam Corlett
(Login scorlett)
YF12

All in taste...

February 17 2017, 3:45 PM 

Here's one I did 14 years ago. It was pretty beat up looking before hand. Part of a good process, is to never sand the original if possible. This was done entirely with finish remover and scraping. Then went back on with JM's London Oil finish.

fwb300su_1.jpg

fwb300su_2.jpg

Note it would have been good here to have used some stain work to level out the color right behind the pistol grip. Also some will notice that the grip cap is modified. Originally it would have had a "lip" in the front, but at some point the ISSF rules disallowed that and a previous owner had modified it. I just tried to polish it up.
fwb300su_3.jpg

Respond to this message   
Paul in Zhills
(Login jps2486)
YF

I have one like that

February 17 2017, 4:20 PM 

And on one side, has a lot of dings that will have to be sanded out. Yours looks nice.

Respond to this message   

Ed
(Login USMA-1982)
YF12

Nice work!

February 17 2017, 5:18 PM 

Your wood has some nice figuring. I think FWB used a dark stain to give the stocks an even overall color. I like the way lighter tints bring out the grain and figuring, especially on walnut - more interesting visually than monotone finishes. I haven't tried London Oil, I'll check it out.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Airgun Calculators    Num of fills calc    Capacity Calc

******** Kalibrgun High quality, superb Accuracy, outstanding Value. ********

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.