<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Fx impact order

March 17 2017 at 1:41 AM
Slingarian  (Login Slingarian)
YF12

I like many folks have a deposit down and are on the list awaiting a new Impact . But with the release of the new crown I'm thinking on calling and cancelling the Impact. And getting on the Crown list.

Just curious on the thoughts of yellow folks

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Rick
(Login pluric)
YF12

Impact or Crown

March 17 2017, 9:36 AM 

I guess the style of gun makes a difference. I find myself
buying the shorter field friendly guns, okay, Bullpups.
The liner replacements are certainly more affordable on
the Crown. $100 versus $550 on the Impact. I don't know
on magazines the cost difference. Seems I paid $100-120
for Impact spares.

When an Impact will do this all day long I'm not going to
complain about the cost of entry. happy.gif

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

28 yard five shot as a .22.

[linked image]

I'm a bit of a FX whore I have 10 of their guns and
quite like them all. I'm waiting to see on the Crown.
I'm just not that interested in another rifle. I did
get the new Streamline in a .25 and it shoots great.
Just 50 inches long with a Huggett on it. (Gulp)

[linked image]

[linked image]

Respond to this message   
James Dingle
(Login JamesDingle777)
AR&P

Very good shooting Rick

March 17 2017, 1:13 PM 

May I ask if you've tried the .30 at 100 yards, and the shot count, power you are getting at 850fps with unknown pellet weight? The new .22 JSB 34 grain Beasts are having me look out for real world info on 100 yard groups. I'm trying to learn all I can before I buy the wrong caliber, rifle, pellets.
Seems many love their .30's, but I'm not so sure it's "better" than available .22's & .25's. There's less choice of pellets, they cost more, and I'm not educated enough on internal ballistics to make a choice yet. Seems a .22 that weighs 34 grains will actually take MORE air to send it out as hard as the .25 or .30 weighing the exact same (if they even make them in the exact same weights) because there is less surface area for the air to propel the pellet. Am I correct? My desire is to have the most accurate hard hitting Air Gun I can without going to a Big Bore and having a pathetic shot count.
Why is it that The Lewis & Clark riflehttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Girandoni_air_rifle was capable of 30 shots useful to 125 yards somewhere between .46-.51 caliber? I don't think they had NEAR 3K PSI only around 1800 I think. They most definitely had a huge drop at 125 yards but they are described as "useful"
I want long range accuracy with enough power to make it through the skull of varmints and take out the Medulla Oblongata for the lights out kill switch. I don't think most people know what air Guns are capable of and all the power folks think they need is not actually needed.
Your groups show how precise some can be. I'm a fellow who would pick his shots carefully if hunting is passed in my State; but unfortunately it may never happen because fear of uneducated folks taking pot shots and wounding animals.
This has been discussed before but 200 years ago lead was scarce so a small caliber was used
http://www.realtree.com/small-game-hunting/articles/small-game-muzzleloaders
My point is I'm looking for superior accuracy with just enough power to get it done right and retain a decent shot count. Air Guns are my only option as this state has stringent rules about my transgressions many years ago. It really makes no sense with the availability and legal ownership of PCP's today. This is Off topic a bit but I'm asking your advice on different calibers and I see you can actually shoot as well as the rifle possibly can. Thank you and I apologize if this is viewed as hijacking but you obviously have the experience and ability to know what I'm asking.

Respond to this message   
Rick
(Login pluric)
YF12

Giving credit where it isn't due....

March 17 2017, 2:03 PM 

James, thank you for the compliment. I just don't know that I'm the right guy
to be giving shooting advice. I do play with pellet weight and speed until I
find what the gun likes for my use. When I read all the threads about energy
and people wanting high fpe for whatever reason I just go back to my simple plan
of trying to find the most accurate combination and high shot count.

If I had to make a gun suggestion that covers many bases I'm always pleased with
my Mutant Shorty's. Just last weekend I was shooting one with JSB 15.89 840 fps
out to 200 yards and hitting. I know that sounds like BS and if I hadn't seen the
gun do it I would have been skeptical. The Crickets and Vulcans are very impressive
as well.

Most all my .22 shooting is done with JSB 15.89 or 18 gr. I have tried the Monster
34 gr in my Huben K1 because it has so much power available. For where I have to
crank the setting on most other .22's the shot count loss isn't worth it to me for
the added impact. I figure if I'm more confident on shot placement the lighter pellet
will do what's needed to make a clean kill.

I waver between .22 and .25 being my favorite caliber. Ground squirrels and pigeon/doves
are my main targets when not killing paper. The larger caliber and weight seem to give
a margin of error for a clean kill.

I've bought over 30 airguns in the last two years trying different styles and calibers.
I thought the FX Impact would be my last gun because of the three caliber options.
Logically it should be and for size, accuracy it fit my every need. I've bought seven
more guns since that one. Just enjoy each one for it's unique feel.

Based on my personal experience for accuracy, shot count, great trigger etc I would
suggest a few:

FX Wildcat in a .25. Had over 70 good shots out of one fill.
Cricket in a .22 or .25. Mine will shoot 5 12 shot .25 magazines on a fill.
with accuracy that is so hard to beat.
Mutants are amazing. I have two Shorty's that are fantastic in every way. Great UTV/ATV size.
The FX Streamline in a .25 is looonnngggg but very light and accurate. I'm betting the .22 is nice too
and shorter. I have a Huggett on mine, not a must, but it does make a reasonably quiet gun super quiet.

When you mention interest in 100 yard potential all these suggested guns will do it well.

For my use the .30 is mostly over kill. I have a FX Boss in a .30 and the Impact has a
.30 barrel option as well. Like you mentioned, the cost of shooting them exceeds the
normal need. Seems silly to factor pellet expense in on the price range of gun but
it is a consideration when you're sitting down to shoot a tin at targets.

Mutant teaser.... happy.gif

[linked image]

Wildcat at 50 yards.

[linked image]

You might want to check out this thread for some accuracy comparisons.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/79537/thread/1481577976/last-1481590636/Expand+Thread

This message has been edited by pluric on Mar 17, 2017 2:12 PM

Respond to this message   
Slingarian
(Login Slingarian)
YF12

nice shooting

March 18 2017, 2:32 AM 

I agree, like you I have a safe full of airguns. DAQ's , a pile of FX's, Steyr's, FWB.w etc. My Boss and Gladiator mkII are capable of incredible accuracy as you illustrated.
I love them all, I cant pick a clear winner between the calibers, as they all do extremely well for their intended uses. My old FX Tarantula is a favorite in .22. My .25 Gladiator has a pricey night sight on it and is used in all sorts on night time fun.

I already own guns that are as accurate as the Impact, I was only considering getting one mainly for all the on board adjust ability and mostly the caliber changes. The Impact is a good looking gun, and I don't have anything against bullpups, (I love my Edguns) I do prefer a standard length rifle.

Now that the Crown is coming available, it has all the adjust ability of the Impact, plus cheaper caliber changes, and the addition of being able to swap twist rates within a given caliber. Plus it is a standard length rifle and had lovely wood.

I sill like the Impact and what it represents, but given that its the same price as the Crown, and the crown offers more and cheaper choices in barrel configurations, is why I'm leaning that way, and the reason for my original post.

I can get away with dumping 2k on another airgun, but if I try to buy both I'm afraid of getting scalped in my sleep by the war department (wife)

Nice shooting with your Impact and thank you for sharing.

regards

Rick

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Airgun Calculators    Num of fills calc    Capacity Calc

******** Kalibrgun High quality, superb Accuracy, outstanding Value. ********

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.