<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Looking for scope recommendations for the Mutant Short

March 18 2017 at 10:22 AM

TracyP  (Login tsp3355)
YF12

Will be used primarily for pest removal at 50 yards and below shooting mostly offhand, so would like something fairly light weight. Prefer side focus and must focus down to 10 yards. Budget is up to $500. Possible scopes I've been thinking about:

SWFA SS 3-15x42
SWFA SS 10x42 Fixed Power
Falcon M18 4-14x44
Sightron S-TAC 4-20x50

Would appreciate your thoughts and suggestions, especially from current or prior Mutant owners. Thanks in advance!

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Andy H.
(Login AndyH44)
BOI

Leupold 4-12x40 AO CDS! CLEAR and lightweight and not

March 18 2017, 10:49 AM 

oversized like the ones you've listed. Here's one on my .177 Vulcan....

[linked image]

Here it is on my Mutant.....

[linked image]

Check the Classifieds.

This message has been edited by AndyH44 on Mar 18, 2017 10:55 AM

Respond to this message   

TracyP
(Login tsp3355)
YF12

Thx for the reply.

March 18 2017, 11:28 AM 

Thought about this one, but its not side focus.

Respond to this message   
Andy H.
(Login AndyH44)
BOI

I've pretty much gotten away from S/F scopes. For hunting, I simply

March 18 2017, 12:33 PM 

set my AO at 50 yards and shoot. Absolutely no need to fiddle with focusing. For target shooting, simply set it at the distance. IMHO, too many think they just have to have S/F when AO works fine and is more foolproof.

Respond to this message   
James Dingle
(Login JamesDingle777)
YF12

Yeah, I liked the Hawke Sidewinder because I'm a lefty

March 18 2017, 1:33 PM 

but AO is more precise. In fact I've learned that unless you have a GOOD scope, even changing magnification can change POI. I at this point wish I had all simple fixed 4x 40mm with 1/2 mils, AMX or Horus type reticles. Only time I ever use higher mag is to see strikes on paper at longer distances. It then gets turned right back down clockwise all the way to try to get it precisely where it was zeroed. In fact I'd rather set it and forget it and use binoculars to see the target; but they'll come eventually.
One thing I'm a bit torn on are my 2 Japanese Bushnells, a Trophy & a Banner both in excellent to mint condition. Too bad they don't even have simple Mil-dots. I've been considering selling as I have one on each Discovery and those rifles & myself would definitely benefit from Hawkes with AMX.

Respond to this message   
Charlie Frear, Georgia Airguns
(Login GeorgiaAirGuns)
YF12

Sightron S-TAC..

March 18 2017, 11:24 AM 

Hello Tracy,I just received two of the Sightron S-TAC 4x20x50 and what a surprise! I have always had a Zeiss Conquest 4.5x14x50 MC with a duplex reticle. It is the highest quality scope I own and it is what I had on my Powertuned Cricket .25 Bullpup. A customer/ friend recommended I try the S-TAC 4x20x50 with MOA reticle as a replacement scope due to it's higher magnification, ability to focus down to ten yards, better reticle and lower cost. I was skeptical that a scope that did not have German glass could compete with my Zeiss Conquest. Was I ever wrong!
I got two of the S-TAC 4x20x50 MOA reticle in to test against my Conquest.
So yesterday evening I waited until the last 30 minutes of light, I believe just about any scope looks fairly clear with a lot of light, it is in low light when the quality optics of a scope reveal itself. I had some metal spinners out at about 110 yards, with both scopes mounted on bullpups so that I can look through them supported in my clamped rest.
I then pointed both guns at the cement 10 yards in front of me to get the sharpest possible ocular/ reticle focus possible for a fair comparison between the two quality scopes. I first tested both scopes at 14 power because that is the max for the Conquest.
I wasn't worried about the box test or the turret system because they are both quality scopes and have been proven many times over, by other people that both of these scopes are very reliable. This test I was doing was strictly for low light optical clarity.
This is what I found.
Both scopes were exactly equal in clarity. I looked at a piece of cardboard at 40 yards to see if both scopes showed the corrugated cardboard print through behind the surface layer of cardboard as well as the various sized pellet holes and again both scopes in the were exactly equal in low light.
Back out to the spinners at 110 yards, with the light getting even lower I tested both at 14 power again and it was still a dead even tie. Now I dialed up the Sightron S-TAC to its max 20 power, the new strikes on the spinners that knocked off the paint were still totally sharp, what amazed me is that with the 20 power setting I could now see where the white spray paint did not fully white out the old strikes and still had a slightly grayish undertone to the white spray painted surface.
I could not believe my eyes that a non German glassed scope at over $350.oo less for a similar reticle had the exact same optical clarity.
Another key point for the Field Target shooters is how well it snapped into focus, even at the lower 14 mag setting it still snapped right into focus, it carried out this function much better than the Conquest.
I have always said the glass quality follows the money, this S-TAC has proven me wrong.
I will be mounting this on my .25 Cricket today in Burris Signature rings to enjoy more magnification and a better reticle at $350.oo less than the Conquest.
So bottom line Tracy, I don't know the other scopes you have listed, but I can tell you with all certainty the claims I have made above are backed up with my experience and testing and the S-TAC will now be my premiere line of scopes at Georgia Airguns.
Thanks for reading the long write up.

Charlie Frear, Georgia Airguns
georgiaairguns.net
706-884-6707

Respond to this message   

TracyP
(Login tsp3355)
YF12

Thx Charlie

March 18 2017, 11:35 AM 

This one is high on my list. I have an SIII on my RAW, and its the best glass I've seen for the price point. It's a little longer than I would like, but still fairly light at 23.8 oz. Midway has it on sale right now, but I'd be happy to buy it from you if I go this route if the cost is the same or close.

Respond to this message   

rami939
(Login rami939)
YF12

UTG Swat Compact 3-12x44 Etched Glass Reticle

March 18 2017, 12:57 PM 

This is what I had in mine,and love it .
It's reticle is half mil dot graduated for highly precise aim points .
This scope is an excellent choice for a range up to 100/120 yards.
Priced around $150 plus $15 for the side wheel,it can't be beat .
A bit heavy because the tube is 30mm (1.8 #),but worth it.
For higher magnification,maybe the one that Charlie mentioned would be the ticket .
[linked image]
[linked image]

Respond to this message   

Eric
(Login TrapdoorSpydr)
YF

Yeah.... Thanks a lot Charlie....

March 21 2017, 12:24 AM 

With your glowing review on this scope, I was poking around on Amazon just looking at the thing. Checked my E-mail casually today and it is due to arrive Wednesday. That stupid Amazon makes it sooo easy to order, I ordered it by mistake. Now, I have to unbox it and look though it and explain why $450 is on our credit card! To make matters worse, I have to get rid of something else to justify keeping this. I just bought a new scope last week, I did not need two 🤑
Winds light and variable!

Respond to this message   
Justin
(Login jjmaine)
YF12

SWFA 12x42

March 18 2017, 1:12 PM 

I have a SWFA SS 12x42 on my mutant standard and it works very well. Couldn't ask for more for the price IMO.

Respond to this message   
Rick
(Login pluric)
YF12

Options

March 18 2017, 1:15 PM 

I've got a couple Mutant Shorty's. Because of their ability to shoot
100 plus yards I tend to over scope them a bit. I was watching a video
of for the Edgun Leshiy and Brian of Edguns West made a couple suggestions
for the Leshiy that I thought might work on the Shorty as well. My Leshiy
gets here Monday so I will try them out on that gun first.

Anyway, the lower Mutant has a Aeon 6-24X50

That is a UTG Mini Swat above it 4-16X44
A Bugbuster 3-9X32 above that.

The top gun has a Hawke Sidewinder 9-16X50.

Just for a size comparison.

[URLhttps://imageshack.com/i/plyR0mGQp][IMG][linked image][/IMG][/URL]

Respond to this message   

TracyP
(Login tsp3355)
YF12

Appreciate the replies gents! Thanks! NFT

March 18 2017, 2:26 PM 

Respond to this message   

Eric
(Login TrapdoorSpydr)
YF

Vortex 4x12x40 AO good yardage marks on bell. Nt

March 18 2017, 5:34 PM 

Winds light and variable!

Respond to this message   
PAQUETE MICHAEL
(Login mikerws)
YF12

Tracy, sightron stac with moa nft

March 18 2017, 8:02 PM 

Respond to this message   
Sam
(Login ancient1one)
YF12

Sightron s-tac has 3-16 x42 that is 13" long

March 19 2017, 10:57 AM 

Sightron s-tac has a 3-16x 42 model that is 13" long. I purchased one but have not put it on my Cricket Compact yet. The s-tac 4 - 20 x 50 (MOA reticle)on the Compact now is awesome glass for the money. Side focus is the way to go IMO. For hunting or paper its faster and more precise when range finding. Plus I prefer not putting my hand in front of the glass for adjustments while hunting or target shooting.

[img][linked image][/img]

[img][linked image][/img]

The s-tacs were on sale at the end of 2016, I bought both of mine for around $400. The clarity and build quality is 1st rate down to the spin on metal turret covers. The negative I have is no IR option but if your ok without IR you will not be sorry buying an s-tac. Last Sightrons come with lifetime transferable warranty.

Respond to this message   

TracyP
(Login tsp3355)
YF12

Thanks again for the replies...decision made for now

March 19 2017, 11:06 AM 

I decided for the time being on a used Sightron that Andy H. had for sale on the YFC. It doesn't have everything I was looking for, but its the right size and weight and reasonably good glass. For what I plan on doing with this Mutant, it will probably work just fine and the price was well below my target. Eventually, I'm going to put a SWFA SS on something. I've never owned one, but I think I need to happy.gif.

Thanks again for all the advice!

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Airgun Calculators    Num of fills calc    Capacity Calc

******** Kalibrgun High quality, superb Accuracy, outstanding Value. ********

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.