<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Walking the pig

March 19 2017 at 4:12 PM
gubb33ps  (Login gubb33ps)
YF

I needed more "chill" time...and judging by some of the argumentative posts, am not alone in that.

It's a hobby...it's suppose to relax you.

Took my "pig" out for a short (20 yard) walk at the home range, checked zero, then refilled it and took a short road trip and a longer walk though the trees. It's like 76F down here, everything green and gowing.

No fill gear... just what's in the rifle (30 good shots) and 3 magazines (10 shots each).

Get wrapped up in the new toys, experiments, mods, etc. and tend to neglect some of the older guns in the safe. All wound up in energy, efficiency, looking for that last 1/50th of an inch in accuracy, changing this or changing that, etc. Fun on most days.

Pretty enough pig: chunky, short and heavy. Didn't see the harm in mounting a heavy scope, wasn't really going to be a slim/trim rifle no matter what.

photo 359d02d6-1055-4705-b699-b4fe3685033d.jpg

But I wasn't walking far or heading any place fast, so "Porky" didn't slow me down or wear on me. Didn't have any particular critter in mind (if any), and wasn't in the mood to pound away shot after shot plinking or paper shooting.

Spend a lot more time sitting and watching than sighting on anything.

You know (hopefully you remember)...just enjoying the day, being out in the woods, even if nothing gets shot.

Never finished the first mag. Actually, shot 7 times, the 8th time was into the dirt back at the Jeep (as I just don't like keeping one chambered while I transport).

This message has been edited by gubb33ps on Mar 19, 2017 4:15 PM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Chuck Richmond
(Login chuckinohio)
YF12

Shooting at pigs

March 19 2017, 4:32 PM 

Spent a spell sitting in the back corner of the yard, watching for groundhogs in the hayfield.
I managed to get two whistle pigs, but in the meantime there was a red belied woodpecker worrying the bejeebers out of a dead tree about 15 feet from me. He moved around within like 50 yards of me the whole time I was out back.
That crazy pecker was calling the whole time, and I heard one answering him from across the creek about a hundred yards away. Pretty neat watching him searching for grubs and bugs.
A big Redtail hawk nailed something in the back corner of the field about 200 yards diagonal from me and I watched him tear it up for a bit.
The neighbors about 100 yards away had a fire going from cleaning up the winter yard debris, and the smell was quite pleasant.
Fired twice with a Diana 54 in .22, gave two pesky hole diggers a dirt nap, but had more fun just sitting in the spot. I do believe that I am going to put a semi permanent seat back there and spend more time just sitting and watching.

Respond to this message   

db
(Login Diamondback)
YC

Lucky Dogs both of you. That's it. I'm grabbing a rig & going outside. nt

March 19 2017, 7:30 PM 

nt

Respond to this message   
gubb33ps
(Login gubb33ps)
YF

So much for "fun"...put the Pig back to work...

March 20 2017, 8:02 PM 

Good news...maybe bad news....becasue it's a 5mm.

Got more serious with it on short range (20yard) targets. After all, I'd only fired it 8 times, so it wasn't any effort to fill it back up to 200BAR and fire off 30shots. on targets.

photo d1de44c4-95e6-42ba-bff4-b21df4f17a67.jpg

One of the few times that I have to consider JSB's as a pretty-far 2nd best. Really the only 5mm I have to likes the (dicontinued) Crosman boxed CP's so much, which I why I put a big-azz lable ("For the "Pig") on each of the remiaing 6 1/3 brown boxes.

So it's got a happy life span of about 4000 shots.

That really doesn't sound like much...but likely, considering the only times/shots I put this to "serious" use, that's likely 10-12 years (if I can keep it running so long). I'd be in my middle 70's by then (God willing), and I'll worry about running out of the "best" pellets sometime around 2027.

This message has been edited by gubb33ps on Mar 20, 2017 8:03 PM

Respond to this message   
Jeremy
(Login Smaug1)
YF

Nice gun, and nice to get out for a walk

March 21 2017, 9:28 AM 

Good exercise too.

What's the gun?

What did you shoot at, twigs and such?
-Jeremy
"If it's worth doing, it's worth OVERdoing."

Respond to this message   
gubb33ps
(Login gubb33ps)
YF

The 8 shots

March 21 2017, 5:21 PM 

"Porkey" is an older Webley/Hatsan Raider in 5mm. Not a popular rifle, but when the last of the 5mm's went on sale some time back, figured I'd not likely find a 5mm PCP for the $.

Of the 8 shots: three knot-holes (seeing If I can judge range/drop), two Brown Headed Cowbirds, two cow pies (just for the "splatter" effect), and the dirt at the side of my Jeep when I loaded up to go home..

Before you get on me about shooting "tweety birds"...it was selective. Have the landowners blessing (as he likes song birds...realizes Cowbirds are a kind of Songbird predator). The short section I some times hunt is about 40 yards wide, 155-170 yards long, located between his barb wire fence and the rail road embankment. Have had a war with Cowbirds, and I'll cite Lousiana Game laws:

"Crows, blackbirds, cowbirds and grackles may be taken year round during legal shooting hours if they are depredating or about to depredate upon ornamentals or shade trees, agricultural crops, livestock, wildlife, or when concentrated in such numbers as to cause a health hazard. "

This message has been edited by gubb33ps on Mar 21, 2017 5:23 PM

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Airgun Calculators    Num of fills calc    Capacity Calc

******** Kalibrgun High quality, superb Accuracy, outstanding Value. ********

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.