<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Shipping cost and used gun sales

April 14 2017 at 5:27 PM
Michael McKeown  (Login perfcomp)
YF

I recently did a trade. I sent off a Dragon Claw in it's original box to New York from California via UPS ground. With $8 of additional insurance on it, it cost me $65. If it had been a sale instead of a trade, let's say the gun's used value might be $500 (it was actually new, so $500 would be a great price I think). Add on $65 shipping, and the total cost is $565, but over at PA one can buy the gun for $650 and it ships FREE and earns rewards points. Saving only $85 makes the used gun sale much less attractively priced. Maybe not cheap enough to trigger anyone's 'buy' response unless they are actually in the market for the exact gun I'm selling.

I have several guns I want to sell in the near future on the Yellow, but now I'm a bit sticker shocked by the shipping cost. How are you all dealing with the high cost of shipping? I could list a gun at a fair price which sounds great but when the shipping is added on it is no longer a good deal. The big box places must have volume shipping that allows them to offer free or cheap shipping but I can't do that down here in the land of the Yellow.

Sometimes other carriers are cheaper, but it can vary with box size, weight and destination. I don't have the time to run back and forth all over town getting quotes, only to turn back around to the cheapest one to finally ship it.

Maybe advertise it for a price and "actual shipping cost added" and let the purchaser specify the carrier they think is cheapest? And what about insurance? I like having insurance, but that increases the cost a fair amount. Do you let the purchaser decide if they want to run the risk or pay for the insurance?

Thanks for any advice.
Michael McKeown

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Joe Wayne Rhea
(Login JoeWayneRhea)
YF12

Shipping tips

April 14 2017, 6:20 PM 

Michael I ship a lot of guns and can give you a couple tips . Use boxes that are around 36 inch length. That will keep it from additional fees for being oversized .I use the USPS and almost all guns ship for under 35$ . If standard is same price as express( it often is)I use priority mail...Otherwise I use standard ground shipping .When guns are broken down there is almost no chance of breaking a stock . And I foam pack till its snug in the box . UPSprices can be VERY high , USPS prices are much more reasonable and insurance costs are also. I know there are guys who swear the USPS damages things . But I've never found it to be the case . I often just buy 100$ of extra insurance just so the carrier can see the insured tag. You can also write Fragile on the box without paying additional fees.

Respond to this message   
Michael McKeown
(Login perfcomp)
YF

separated actions and wood

April 14 2017, 6:59 PM 

I do separate actions and stocks, wrap them individually, then together as a bundle, when I ship completed gunstocks that I make. I have an article here:http://www.airgunstocks.com/articles/packaging.html My longest running gig is high speed radio control sailplanes. I know well how to prevent stuff from getting damaged happy.gif

But the guns that I'm looking at selling in the near future are in their original packaging. I suppose if a person doesn't want the original boxes I could ship them as I do client projects. Not sure my time is worth the $30 or $40 I'd save I guess. I mean, it does take a half hour or more to do the job.

Maybe I'll try UPS on the next long gun. I had a client had me ship his gun via FedEx once, and that was a pretty good price.

Thanks for chiming in Joe.
Michael

Respond to this message   
Doug
(Login dyotat100)
YF12

Re: Shipping tips

April 15 2017, 12:31 AM 

I find FedEx to work good. I sent a gun in a 10×10×38 box. Was 26 lbs with all the slugs I sent with and had $1900 insurance. Was $50 from CA to TX.

Respond to this message   
Frank C.
(Login bandmiller2)
YF

Shipping

April 14 2017, 7:05 PM 

Theirs a big difference in the cost of shipping UPS if your a regular customer and on their route. I had friends that shipped a lot I would wrap and drop off at their business, much cheaper.

Respond to this message   
Bob in WV
(Login duhuh)
YC

shipping

April 14 2017, 8:11 PM 

You can compare prices and print out shipping labels right on your computer. It saves time and money by printing your labels at home.

Bob in WV
Never get in a hurry, it only slows you down.

Respond to this message   

Randy Stratman
(Login randy_68)
YC

Re: Shipping cost and used gun sales

April 14 2017, 9:14 PM 

Yep. Shipping is getting pretty expensive. I usually sell my guns and pay shipping. I sold a few lately and added $20 for shipping figuring I had it covered. The last one I did cost me $45. I couldn't believe it was so expensive. And I ship and receive parts on a daily basis for my work.
A lot of it depends on the receivers address. If it's rural it goes up a bunch.
I have some cheap guns I would like to clean out but the shipping is almost more than they are worth so I'll just keep them.

Respond to this message   
mkweyker
(Login mkweyker)
YF12

I just sold my tx200 and shipped it to oregon,it was double...

April 15 2017, 2:44 AM 

boxed,had 500 dollar insurance and it cost me 58 bucks.sent it from post office.

Respond to this message   
Tom in OH
(Login zener7)
YF12

If you accept payment by paypal . . .

April 15 2017, 7:28 AM 

I would recommend buying the insurance because if damage occurs you would have to refund the payment or paypal will do it without your consent. You'd end up with a damaged gun and you'd be out the cost of the shipping. Their policy is that it's the seller's responsibility to have the item delivered safely - even if buyer declines insurance.

Respond to this message   
hairsmith
(Login hairsmith)
YF12

$$$ shipping

April 15 2017, 9:55 AM 

One way I have found to beat the high cost is when I have a few guns that I want to turn into $$ or trade for other guns, is to find a Airgun Show.
In a couple of weeks I am headed up to the Malvern Arkansas Air gun show.
Last year I bought one table $50, set out ten guns. I did not bring a single one of them home with me. Sold or traded all ten.
Think I brought five new to me guns home.
No shipping and got to meet some great people and they had much more of an idea of what they were getting and so did I on the trades.
In fact on all the Trades and most sales we went out and shot each others guns before the agreement was made.
No it does not work for all the guns I want to sell or buy, but man its a lot of fun.
That show is five hours each way for me, and since its a two day show there is motel expenses. But all in all I think its a great deal, and a bunch of fun.

Respond to this message   
hfenn
(Login hfenn)
YC

That's the way to go,

April 15 2017, 6:10 PM 

shipping on four guns paid your gas and hotel. I don't count meals because if you stay home, you still gotta eat.

Respond to this message   
Frank C.
(Login bandmiller2)
YF

Brick and mortar

April 16 2017, 6:52 AM 

Another way to look at it is sky high shipping costs may just keep B&M vendors alive.

Respond to this message   

KW
(Login CuomoSux)
YF12

Shipping that same gun via USPS would cost about $50 insured.

April 17 2017, 1:03 PM 

MM,

Considering the size of the package, the weight and the value...$65 is not that far off. I take actions out of the stock for safety and cost. If you sold that same Dragon Claw and wanted to ship it back to California out of its buttstock, USPS would charge you $38 fully insured to ship it via 2-day priority mail. If two day is not needed, you could ship the same package for $36 via USPS ground.

For your future sales...figure $50 for shipping and include it in your initial asking price. Do not let the buyer make choices for carrier or insurance. The "plus shipping" option just means fielding a ton of questions about the cost to ship to specific zip codes. That is 43 THOUSAND different zipcodes.

And always insure. Just do it. $6.70 to insure a $500 gun through USPS saves you hassle. It puts the burden of satisfaction on the USPS.

As for getting quotes all over town....use USPS.com or UPS.com of FedEx.com to get shipping quotes from your desk. Pre-printed labels are your friend.

I only use USPS priority mail. I generate labels online. I pay online. I print on my printer at home. I ship from my front porch.

Respond to this message   
Michael McKeown
(Login perfcomp)
YF

thanks

April 18 2017, 2:09 PM 

This thread is getting pretty far down the page, but if KW should check in, thanks for the advice!
Michael

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Airgun Calculators    Num of fills calc    Capacity Calc

******** Kalibrgun High quality, superb Accuracy, outstanding Value. ********

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.