<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

100 yard group with a PT Cricket

May 15 2017 at 7:28 AM
Sam  (Login ancient1one)
YF12

A couple of buddies invited me to Mendon gun club last week. MCL has a dedicated 100 yard BR course. I was testing JSB 34's at different speeds. Started at 800 fps and worked up to 925 fps. I found the JSB 34 grain shot the most accurate at 915 fps. Winds were 3 - 10 mph.

34 JSB's were straight from the tin and were shot at 915 fps in the video. 5 shots inside a quarter at 100 yards.

[img][linked image][/img]

You-tube: https://youtu.be/_SzphxgJkkE

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Kevin
(Login razor62)
YC

I simply cannot shoot that well! It never ceases to amaze

May 15 2017, 7:55 AM 

me how precise some shooters are not to mention their guns.
I was shooting my Mutant short yesterday. I've got some 3/16" thick, 4" X 4" steel plates hanging at 90 yards. It isn't even a challenge to hit them anymore when their facing me. They can rotate from the strings that they're hanging from. Yesterday I took two shots at the edge of one which had turned perfectly sideways. Second shot hit home. Several more attempts yielded the same results. That's a 3/16" X 4" target at 90 yards and I can claim a roughly 40 percent success rate at striking it. It boggles my mind at the capabilities of these air powered weapons.

Respond to this message   
James Dingle
(Login JamesDingle777)
AR&P

Very good Sam. I have to look up a PT Cricket as I'm

May 15 2017, 8:17 AM 

not familiar with the PT model. If it's a Bull pup I'm amazed at what they are doing. I'm not a Bull Pup Air Gun Guy. I want a full length 23.8 LW barrel or longer for best use of available pressure.
I have a regulated Rainstorm that may do well with the 34 grain .22 JSB's if I rebuilt and upped the plenum volume.
Where you holding dead on and they bucked those 3-10mph winds or were you waiting for lulls, or holding off for drift?

This message has been edited by JamesDingle777 on May 15, 2017 8:48 AM

Respond to this message   

DerrickW
(Login zx10wall)
YF

PT Cricket

May 15 2017, 8:37 AM 

James, PT stands for power tune. This is a gun from Georgia Airguns. Charlie Frear does a complete reseal, accurizes, adds a plenum, stronger hammer spring with new adjuster and sets reg pressure. Yes, it's the Cricket .25 bullpup.

Respond to this message   
James Dingle
(Login JamesDingle777)
AR&P

Ah, thank you. I've heard so many good things about Charlie

May 15 2017, 9:03 AM 

and these bull pups are amazing. Most do have a 20" barrel and breech in the back so it isn't terribly short. When I compare what my 17" Rainstorms barrel is capable of, I really should consider a Bull pup now that Hunting is legal in PA. Thick woods and all, shorter rifle, would make sense.
It's just that almost ALL of my shooting is from a bench, sitting off knees, bi-pod on edge of field, so a longer barrel doesn't bother me and when tuned right the length is a help in saving air and getting the same power a shorter barrel has to expel more to attain.
Either way, that is some very good shooting.
Sam, have you found these new heavy 34's to be the best at longer ranges in that rifle? Sounds like Charlie set it up to be easily adjusted by user. I've thought of trying them in my Rainstorm but that would mean disassembly, rebuilding 5 year old regulator, adjusting for more power. It shoots 15 & 18 grain JSB's too well for me to mess with it.
Although I am looking for a heavier hitter, longer range, fully adjustable rig. Right now I'm enjoying reading what others are accomplishing and awaiting The Masters full report on The Crown when he receives it in OZ.
I admit, I'll be looking at Charlie's web site in a few minutes.

Respond to this message   
Sam
(Login ancient1one)
YF12

The 34 JSB's in 25 cal

May 15 2017, 9:49 AM 

James the 34 JSB's are shaped more like a torpedo than a standard domed pellet. They cut and buck the wind better for sure compared to a domed pellet.

Heavier pellets domed or torpedo shape stay stable at longer distances compared to lighter pellets of the same caliber.

Respond to this message   
Sam
(Login ancient1one)
YF12

PT - Cricket

May 15 2017, 9:24 AM 

James, Charlie at GA power tunes crickets. He adds a plenum behind the regulator sets the regulator to 130 - 135 bar and adds a metal hammer spring. Without stressing the Cricket it is shooting 63+ fpe with heavy 25 pellets.

In the beginning of the video I was holding off to the left, at shot 3 or 4 the wind died down and I held dead on. In the beginning of the video the wind flags are moving and at the end they were pretty much still.

The plenum is circled in red

Respond to this message   

DerrickW
(Login zx10wall)
YF

Sumo

May 15 2017, 10:25 AM 

How are you attaching the Sumo, Sam?

Respond to this message   
Sam
(Login ancient1one)
YF12

Donny's machinist John Hagan

May 15 2017, 12:41 PM 

hagantool@aol is his email. He installs a 1/2 unf thread with an end cap to the end of the moderator. Professional job. Not positive but I am pretty sure my groups improved after installing the sumo.

Tomorrow is supposed to be light winds here. I will test groups with and without the sumo to confirm. I will post the results on the yellow forum. One thing is for sure the sumo made the 63 fpe cricket a lot more back yard friendly.

Respond to this message   

DerrickW
(Login zx10wall)
YF

Thank for the info Sam...........nft

May 15 2017, 4:27 PM 

Respond to this message   
Charlie Frear, Georgia Airguns
(Login GeorgiaAirGuns)
YF12

A little clarification...

May 15 2017, 4:20 PM 

Derrick, I admire and appreciate your knowledge of my powertune. I would like to clarify one slight error, I do everything to the gun you mentioned except I do not go to a more powerful hammer spring, I keep the original factory hammer spring in the gun. I do this on purpose so that the powertune does not stress the internals of the receiver.
Have you had a chance to compete with Dwight M. in Ron Robinson's shoots. I would like to hear how the both of you are doing.

Thanks

Charlie Frear, Georgia Airguns

This message has been edited by GeorgiaAirGuns on May 15, 2017 5:46 PM

Respond to this message   

DerrickW
(Login zx10wall)
YF

Error

May 15 2017, 4:30 PM 

Charlie, I apologize for that. Yeah, even after I stated it I thought, you know I think Charlie may use the stock spring. That metal HS adjuster does give it more adjustment if desired, correct? I do remember now you being adamant about your PT being fully and easily reversible to the factory configuration. It's a nice tune for sure.

I'm still licking my wounds from my motorcycle mishap a month ago today. I hope to compete with the boys again on June 3.

This message has been edited by zx10wall on May 15, 2017 4:32 PM

Respond to this message   
John
(Login JOHNSAIRMADNESS)
YC

PT Crickets are the ticket.

May 15 2017, 12:26 PM 

I have had mine since 2016 Christmas and absolutely Love it. It is very accurate, hard hitting, and not pellet picky. Mine really like the Air Arms, H&N Grizzlies, and 34gr. JSB pellets. My dad got the one and only PT Cricket Carbine rifle from Charlie. It's as accurate and not pellet picky. Look at Bushy tails this season.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Airgun Calculators    Num of fills calc    Capacity Calc

******** Kalibrgun High quality, superb Accuracy, outstanding Value. ********

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.