<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

Well,I finally did it..

May 15 2017 at 11:00 AM
MikefromMidland  (Select Login MScottLeeman)
YF12

After decades of shooting springers,I decided to go to the "Dark Side". I recently took delivery of a .25 Gen 2 Marauder in synthetic. Originally,I had my eye on a .22 Puncher Breaker but due to availability,I chose the Marauder (Which I Also have been eyeballing for quite some time..esp. after reading so many positive reviews.) I have to say that I was pleasantly suprised by the level of quality as well as appearance! The level of aftermarket support as well as being assembled in the States also swayed my decision. I put a UTG 4-16x50 on it and am impressed with the power as well as accuracy,getting 3/8 to 1/4" 5 shot groups at 30y. The sound level is quite nice...until impact!LOL! I have limited time w/it so far,but any tips as far as settings go are welcome! I have the trigger dialed just about right and find it to be VERY good. So far,so good.I'm Very happy with the whole she-bang thus far!

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
JD
(Login JamesDingle777)

Find the right pellet and settings and it should be able to do

May 15 2017, 11:25 AM 

1 hole 5 shot groups at 30 yards. Joe B is offering some aftermarket products and rifles pre tuned from him with these accessories that almost double the shot count and close the spread. I've pretty much decided if I ever get another M-rod it'll be from Joe, already tuned.
I agree though, they are a decent rifle with unexpected quality from Crosman for the price. If you know how to align your scope with bore perfectly you may see a big change. I myself like a Plumb Bob, at least 2 small levels, a padded gun vice.
If you shoot at night with a light behind you, you'll be able to see pellet fly to target. It SHOULD come out straight and hit your POA. If you notice pellet (while rested on bags or bi-pod) coming out to the left or right of crosshairs and hitting POA, it probably needs adjustment.
One way to tell for sure is shoot at your 30 yard target. Now set a target out at 60 yards. When there is no wind, try it. If it's continuously hitting to one side of your POA, then your up and down are affecting your left and right. A simple 1-2 degree mistake in alignment will reduce your accuracy, especially at various ranges.
I don't want to tell you to mess with a good thing; but checking the baffles for any clipping is a smart thing to do. Trying the rifle without the shroud and baffles will also show you if there's a difference.
Tuning it yourself for the best it can be will require a Chronograph and some target time. I don't know how many different pellets you've tried but I'd suggest definitely trying The Benjamin ,25's and JSB Kings 25.43's as MOST of The M-rods do like those 2 pellets. Maybe a single shot tray and some Polymags also.
I love both Spring guns and PCP's. There's so much to learn about both. Have fun!

Respond to this message   
MikefromMidland
(Select Login MScottLeeman)
YF12

Thank You!

May 15 2017, 1:14 PM 

So far I've been using the 25.43 JSB's. I also grabbed a tin of the Benjamins and tried a few as well...not hitting the same POA. I checked the baffles yesterday and found some lead flakes,so I presume there may be some contact. Would You suggest enlarging the holes at all? The grouping aren't too shabby but I'm open to any suggestions. I also picked up a Mk 4 Hill pump and a ProChrono crony at the same time,It felt like Christmas in May!

Respond to this message   
JD
(Login JamesDingle777)

Wanted to come back to post and be a bit more descriptive

May 18 2017, 12:22 PM 

http://www.network54.com/Forum/79537/message/1495116624/Scope+misalignement

This fellow just posted what I wanted to tell you. Adjustable rings are a must for real accuracy at all unknown ranges. The scope being true: top turret at exactly 12 & 6 O'clock or 360* & 180* is also very important.

As far as these lead flakes. Expect to see lead dust all the time. If you see actual flakes and ANY marks on the baffles at all, it IS clipping them and this definitely will reduce your accuracy greatly.
Yes if you have a padded vice, or a drill press, you can enlarge the holes ever so slightly. Normally if they clip them you will see a piece taken out. Enlarge them just big enough to make that hole concentric again. Too large and your decibels will rise up. Too small and you have issues like you're having.
You CAN call Crosman and they will send you baffles that have slightly larger holes for your caliber, free of charge and shipping. You don't even have to send the old ones back. You can enlarge them slightly, and keep in case you ever get an extended shroud.
I'm wondering if anyone is doing M-rods as well as Mr. Greg Davies was, and at his prices. I had one. Should have kept it. When I opened it up, it had definitely been polished up better and my upgraded longer LW barrel & shroud made a big difference. I had NO problem doing 5 shots covered by a Quarter at 100 yards.
Even before it went to Greg, it was doing one ragged hole with 21.1 grain Kodiaks at 50 yards with the Crosman barrel.
I think a call to Crosman or a SLIGHT enlargement of the holes will give you one ragged hole groups at 30 yards.
Enjoy the video this Gentleman posted. Modify your baffles or replace from Crosman, set your scope up correctly and you'll be amazed. I realized too late that you don't have to spend near or almost double 2K to have superior accuracy. Many PCP's AND some Spring Guns with the right shooter can do what the expensive ones can even out to 75-100 yards.
If you can post pictures, up close and clear of your baffles, many will be able to tell you if you have a clipping problem or not. Shoot it without the shroud and baffles. If you start getting one hole groups (you very well may have to re-zero) then you can be sure that the pellets are definitely clipping the baffles ever so slightly on their way out of the barrel. A blade of grass can throw a pellets accuracy off, so slight clipping is VERY possibly your issue.

Respond to this message   
Quinton Lewis
(Login Domer_Pyle)
YF

Shorter hammer throw and more hammer spring tension

May 16 2017, 12:18 AM 

will help conserve a little air and lessen any muzzle report, the .25 uses a bit of air as you'd imagine but you can squeeze a few more shots out of it that way. If you pull the lawyer spring out of the trigger it's like pulling your finger through a cloud but watch out because it might surprise you how light it is

Respond to this message   
MikefromMidland
(Select Login MScottLeeman)
YF12

Thanks Quinton!

May 16 2017, 8:55 AM 

Just what I was looking for! (Setting suggestions) What/where is this "Lawyer Spring" I've heard about? I tinkered with the trigger weight spring and found it ridiculously stiff at Any setting. I removed it and replaced it with a much lighter unit,for now.Any additional help is More than welcome.Thanks Man! ...Mike

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

Airgun Calculators    Num of fills calc    Capacity Calc

******** Kalibrgun High quality, superb Accuracy, outstanding Value. ********

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.