<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Received my package from the SSSO "HW parts liquidation".

May 15 2017 at 1:57 PM

nced  (Login SpringerEd)
YF12

I placed the order on May 8th and it was in Port Hill, Idaho on May 12th, then onto Spokane, Washington later the same day, then in Raleigh, NC on May 14th, and then delivered this morning. Here is what I received........
[linked image]
LOL.....I have a couple cocking levers in my parts bin so I didn't need one, however I forgot to order a couple cocking lever rivets! sad.gif Not really a biggie because I can easily fabricate one from some O1 tool steel rod (or even the shank of a 5mm bolt) and then flare the rivet ends.

The first thing I did was pull through a tight patch moistened with RemOil and here is what the patch looked like straight from the new unused bore...........
[linked image]
LOL....reminds me of the 1st patch through a new R9 bore years ago. The next thing was to push a mew CPL throught the bore to check for constrictions and this particular barrel has an especially TIGHT leade (even tighter than my HW95 which also has a relatively tight leade! Pushing the pellet through the bore it's a "tight slide" till the point where the barrel joins the front of the barrel pivot block, then the bore gets tighter still! Once past this constriction the pellet freely slides till it gets to a "REALLY TIGHT CHOKE"! Here is a pic of three different brands of pellet pushed through the bore..........
[linked image]
Now that's some serious engraving done by the rifling! My guess is that this particular barrel will be very accurate with the 8.4 grain .177 JSB Exacts that have a rather small head compared to the CPLs. Still, I'll probable shoot through some pellets charged with JB Non-Embedding bore paste to polish the lands and loosen the restrictions a bit!

Well....it's on to making a barrel pivot rivet, attach an old cocking lever, and see how the barrel works out with the pellets I have!

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

TMurray
(Login bustachip)
YF12

I had intended on ordering some 97/77 breech seals..

May 15 2017, 6:30 PM 

but I haven't as of yet, the shipping would be around $8 dollars which sounds high to me..LOL.

It will be interesting to see if your new "ultra tight" barrel will shoot the JSB 8.44gr loosies
with some consistency concerning those wide flyers I would get, from time to time. It would be nice
to be able to shoot clean pellets right from the tin, with the same or better accuracy and repeatability
as the sized and lubed cpl's.

On another note...have you ever tried turning any breech seals in your lathe, of course you'd need the right
material?

Regards, Thomas M.

Respond to this message   

nced
(Login SpringerEd)
YF12

Home made HW95 cocking lever rivet......and a couple comments.

May 15 2017, 9:48 PM 

[linked image]
[linked image]
Made the rivet from a scrap of O1 tool steel turned for a "slip fit" with the HW95 barrel pivot block (about 4.9mm) that was unhardened. Now all I have to do tomorrow is use a couple hardened ball bearings on each end of the rivet and my vice to flare the ends a bit so it stays in place.

"It will be interesting to see if your new "ultra tight" barrel will shoot the JSB 8.44gr loosies"
Yep sure will! I'm out of 8.44 grain Exacts but I'll order a few tins just to see. LOL, if they don't work then I can always sell the unused tins like I did before. When I do order the exacts I think I'll order the 4.50mm size since they were more consistent than the 4.52mm size I ordered previously.

"It would be nice to be able to shoot clean pellets right from the tin, with the same or better accuracy and repeatability as the sized and lubed cpl's".
Agreed, however I do believe that the CPLs have a bit higher BC than the exacts. I've been buying Beeman R9s for decades and I don't remember ever getting one that had such a tight leade the CPL needed to be head sized. Now I get a HW95 and a HW95 barrel and both have tighter leades than my R9s. I wonder if HW is deliberately making their barrels to suit the looser fitting pellets like the 8.44 grain Exacts.

"have you ever tried turning any breech seals in your lathe"
Nope, matter of fact after a few decades I've only NEEDED to replace a couple breech seals. A while back I bought an after market "yellow seal" and found that it was too stiff for my taste. I tried another after market brand and found that it was too soft for my taste and actually crushed due to the barrel lockup.
My solution was to revert back to the HW factory seal which I believe you supplied under a "swap deal". I received 4 .177 cal HW breech seals so if you would like a couple they're yours.

Respond to this message   
michael wolfram
(Login marflow)
YF

question-----both Diana and Daisy use pins in there pistols

May 16 2017, 12:52 AM 

that are sized for the outside hole that hold the pin but the center has splines cut into it and that makes them over sized and then solid in the trigger or cocking linkage after driving in place

would a pin of that design work in this application

how to make is above my pay grade

take care
mike

Respond to this message   

TMurray
(Login bustachip)
YF12

Ed can tell ya better than me.....

May 16 2017, 4:07 PM 

but you would have to have a pin with a straight knurl that's oversized
enough to press it in, don't know how it would work, or if it would stay put?

Or just make the pin for a press fit.

With those flared ends using the ball bearing it's not going anywhere.

TM

Respond to this message   

nced
(Login SpringerEd)
YF12

The rivet holes in the HW95 barrel pivot block are a slip fit to the rivet......

May 16 2017, 6:58 PM 

and the hole in the latch rod is a bit larger so it's "free moving" on the rivet. Actually, the HW method of flaring the rivet ends is a simple and secure way of retaining them so I really don't want to mess with what works well. Since a couple ball bearings stuck on the rivet ends with grease and then squished in the vice is a simple way to
expand the ends I like this procedure. LOL....if you but the factory HW95 rivets the ball bearings don't even mess up the bluing!

This message has been edited by SpringerEd on May 16, 2017 6:59 PM

Respond to this message   

TMurray
(Login bustachip)
YF12

Ed, thanks for the kind offer...

May 16 2017, 4:00 PM 

I've still got 2 or 3 new breech seals, so there's no need in taking any of yours...LOL.
My intent was to order some to squirrel back for "down the road" needs, if they arise.

But if ya fail to come up with any JSB 8.44's I can send ya some of those...

Thanks again
TM

Respond to this message   

nced
(Login SpringerEd)
YF12

Strangest thing when trying to cock my HW95 after replacing the barrel!

May 16 2017, 10:26 PM 

I reassembled the HW95 and when I tried to cock the gun to do some testing with the new barrel the latch rod wouldn't set the sear. I removed the stock for a look-see and when trying to cock the gun it seemed like the latch rod was a tab too short. The internal components are the exact same ones that functioned properly before the swap so I was really puzzled!

Well, the issue was that the R9 cocking lever I used was a tad bit shorter than the other spare cocking lever I had. I'm pretty sure that all my spare parts are from old R9s so I don't have a clue why the two cocking levers look like this.......
"Rivet end" is aligned with the rivet.........
[linked image]
Here are the "other ends" of the latch rods.......
[linked image]

Anywhoo.....replaced the shorter latch rod with the longer one and the gun cocks normally!
Oh well....all is well that ends well so I may be able to do some testing after all! wink.gif

Another update.......
Did a quick 18 yard "from bucket and sticks" 5 shot group.....
I reassembled my HW95 with the new barrel from SSSO and shot this group "from bucket and sticks" at 18 yards without even zeroing my 4-12x50 Hawke Vantage which was zero'd for the previous barrel...........
[linked image]
The poi is 2 1/2" from the aim point of the optically centered Hawke at 18 yards so a bit of "barrel tweaking" will be done to get the poi within 1/2" at 18 yards, then the "fine adjustments" will be done with turrets.

I was concerned about the "tight spots" in the bore however the accuracy is pretty good without doing anything but cleaning the bore. At about 1/4"ctc so more 'testing" will need to be done to see if the "tight spots" are a "velocity issue".

One thing immediately noticeable after mounting the new barrel is that the barrel latch-up is extremely solid. With the old barrel only a moderate smack on the muzzle break was needed to unlatch the detent, however the barrel from SSSO requires a real solid thump on the muzzle break to unlatch the detent.

Anywhoo......looks like I'll be having some interesting "setup days" with the new barrel and I might even do a bit of bore smoothing with "JB Non-Embedding Bore Paste" but I'm not certain about that yet!

This message has been edited by SpringerEd on May 16, 2017 10:28 PM

Respond to this message   

TMurray
(Login bustachip)
YF12

It does look promising.....I'll stay tuned....n/t

May 16 2017, 11:17 PM 

Respond to this message   

nced
(Login SpringerEd)
YF12

Chronied tight .177 bore barrel on HW95 and found........

May 17 2017, 10:29 AM 

that the velocity was very similar to my other HW95 barrel shooting CPLs head sized to 4.48mm at 860fps give and take a couple fps either way using the same spring.

This message has been edited by SpringerEd on May 17, 2017 10:31 AM

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Airgun Calculators    Num of fills calc    Capacity Calc

******** Kalibrgun High quality, superb Accuracy, outstanding Value. ********

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.