<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Vortek HW Breech Seals...

May 15 2017 at 4:14 PM
ggronke  (Login ggronke)
YC

I know their piston seals are black moly impregnated, but are the Vortek black breech seals made of the same material? If so, I don't understand any advantage - except for easier removal? I ordered a breech seal for my HW55 (serial #87,596) from both Vortek and Chambers. After receiving both, the white colored(almost a clear, light colored) B-seal from Chambers is noticeably more soft & pliable than the black B-seal from Vortek. That one is more firm like plastic. Wouldn't the slightly softer one seal better?
Also, I wanted to try and replace buggered screws, but some are no longer available...such as the flat front stock screw. I tried an HW30/R7 screw, but it's about 1/4 inch too short to make it through the Tyro stock. Anyone know where I can get the right one? I figure if Chambers doesn't have it, who will? I suppose I could lightly file/fine sand/Re-blue touch-up the buggered screw...
I also ordered a replacement HW55 pivot bolt from Chambers, for the buggered-up original, but they goofed and sent me a new screw for a BSA Magnum pistol. I had to Email them. I hope they don't expect me to send it back to them!

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Jason W Garvin
(Login jason_garvin)
YF12

Re: Vortek HW Breech Seals...

May 16 2017, 9:23 AM 

Hi There,

The last Vortek seals I received were yellow and hard. Not sure if they have changed, I always like the slightly softer seals, but doesn't mean the Vortek seals didn't work. Good thing about a harder seal is under theory the lock up would be more consistent. I have been sticking mainly with the HW seals as they are very good.

Not sure I can help on the screw, other than I thought the HW 35 had the same style have you checked it out? I have dressed up several buggered screws in the past, clean the burrs and use 44/40 cold blue, turn out like new.

Jason G

Respond to this message   
Bill
(Login bzizzi373)
YF

Breech Seals

May 16 2017, 9:40 AM 

I ran across the exact same thing, aftermarket harder breech seals changed POI so I ordered original opaque white seals off eBay from the UK.
Ordered a few spares, problem solved. They are a bit softer and last a really long time, the original seal was still working from 1981 but started to get hard and brittle.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Airgun Calculators    Num of fills calc    Capacity Calc

******** Kalibrgun High quality, superb Accuracy, outstanding Value. ********

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.