<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Gen two AirMax pistol came today...

May 16 2017 at 9:15 PM
Mike in Maryville   (Login shooter58)
AR&P

I will check it out tomorrow, got home too late today. It looks nice, I like the iron sights. The original is great, I can hardly wait to try this one.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Dennis
(Login kawaboy-zx11)
YF

cool

May 16 2017, 9:57 PM 

looking forward to hearing all about these new ones. hope they made the breech seal better.

Respond to this message   
joe
(Login haystack222)
YC

compare

May 17 2017, 5:57 PM 

is this pistol about the same price as a ld how does it compare. accuracy trigger ect.

Respond to this message   
H.E. Potter
(Login Hepotter)
YF12

A few things to know before adjusting the new AirMax...

May 17 2017, 1:00 AM 

Mine came in today as well.

Be aware the gun is NOT adjusted for shooting, it comes from the factory assembled, but you are going to set the HST pretension, as well as the first and second trigger stages, transfer port adjustment, and any regulator changes you might want to make.

The instructions for the gun do not contain enough information to complete these tasks. Here is a video showing how to remove the handle, and adjust the pretension, as well as show you where the adjustment hex screws are for the first and second stage trigger adjustments.

Here's a good Youtube.com video with some important part identifications/locations and some detailed adjustment pointers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HRp5OWaT_E

What is badly needed is an exploded diagram, in English, explaining where the parts go, and what they are for. The owner's manual is for beginners only, and has no adjustment details.

The second stage of my gun was completely out of adjustment to the point that the hammer wouldn't cock. Not to worry...the second stage adjustment will engage the sear and the gun can then be cocked.

You might as well leave the handle off at first because you can't adjust the HST pre-load with it on. Once you have your power where you want it, the Transfer Port adjustment screw is at the top of the breech and easily reached.

I'll take some pics tomorrow and try to post more info regarding FPS/FPE. First impression...for a Chinese gun, some serious thought went into the design and the features are very very nice and well built for a gun in this price range. This can't be said for the near useless owner's manual. Check Youtube.com for a bit more info...the gun is listed as SPA, AirMax and a number of other monikers.

Suggestion...some of the earlier owners might pitch in and fill in some of the information "How To" voids for us new owners.

As of tonight, I am very impressed with the hardware! Nice balance, nice "feel" and lots of adjustments to get it where you want for power and shot count.
Hepotter

This message has been edited by Hepotter on May 17, 2017 1:08 AM

Respond to this message   
Frank Zuccarini
(Login Frank_Zuccarini)
YF

Thanks............

May 17 2017, 6:16 AM 

............ for your words of caution and instruction.

My gun arrived yesterday as well, in the same condition as you describe. I own the first generation model as well, and I truely love this gun. But, as you said, it arrived un-shootable, and potentially unsafe, should someone load it and then cock the hammer with the pistol pointed toward something you did not mean to shoot.

Making it work as one desires is simple and very rewarding. So glad that Mrod-Air has made these available to us.

Frank

Respond to this message   
Mike in Maryville
(Login shooter58)
AR&P

Thanks ! This forum is a great source of information.

May 17 2017, 10:57 AM 

I'm gonna play with it just as soon as I knock off a couple of "honey do" items.

Respond to this message   
Charlie,Upstate NY
(Login crob45)
YF

How was it shipped ?.........

May 17 2017, 8:27 AM 

And did you receive any tracking info. or updated order status?

Respond to this message   
Frank Zuccarini
(Login Frank_Zuccarini)
YF

Notification

May 17 2017, 9:18 AM 

I received notification from UPS, but I am subsribed to the UPS service which always alerts me to an expected shipment. I do not believe that the notification was initiated by the shipper, but I may be mistaken.

Frnak

Respond to this message   
H.E. Potter
(Login Hepotter)
YF12

UPS No tracking number, just fast delivery! nt

May 17 2017, 2:30 PM 

Hepotter

Respond to this message   
Terry king
(Login bowhunter73)
YF12

I received my Mkii .177 yesterday by ups well packaged haven't had time to shoot yet

May 17 2017, 10:04 AM 

Respond to this message   
H.E. Potter
(Login Hepotter)
YF12

Trigger adjustment and LDC attachment...PICS

May 17 2017, 11:27 AM 

Be aware the second stage trigger can be set to downright dangerously light settings. Use caution, and when you get it where you want it, slap the sides of the gun while it is cocked/unloaded to see if it will accidentally discharge if bumped or dropped.

The sound modification system for this pistol is quite effective, neighbor friendly with just four (4) sections. To install, you need to take the front barrel bushing out...this is the piece in the muzzle with the little holes around it's edge. I used two nails and a screwdriver to break it loose. Once out, you place it in the last baffle chamber, the one with the shiny silver beveled end. Then you simply screw it back onto the barrel. Be aware the barrel can be unscrewed and removed. AND...and...when you screw it back in, it won't come to a complete halt/stop. The barrel breech end screws into a movable bushing that will rotate once the barrel is fully seated. Personally, I'd like to get a grub screw in the top of the breech and lock that barrel down solid...but this system seems to work.

There is zero breech blowback! I put a Kleenex on top of the breech and fired the gun...no air movement whatsoever!

I'll take some pics....

[linked image]
I can't help but believe this is a mini-carbine waiting for the right stock to attach to the handle.

[linked image]
When removing the handle, you must also remove the two "spacers" next to the hammer. Easily done. and they seem to serve no purpose other than guide the hammer to the firing pin. there is one on each side of the hammer. They simply drop out when the hex screw is removed.

[linked image]
This is the muzzle barrel bushing that is removed, placed in the last section of the moderator system, then screwed back onto the barrel.

[linked image]
There are no picatinny rails on the AirMax, it uses the 11mm type. Before I receive my picatinny/11mm adapter, I'm just using sticky tape to hold on my red dot.

More useful info: (Be aware the hex nut inside the grip IS NOT the HST adjustment screw. This hex nut only removes the grip to expose the HST adjustment nut, readily recognized by the spring it's holding)

When adjusting the HST spring, after removing the grip, unscrew the hammer spring nut until the hammer is not touching the firing pin. Then carefully tighten the nut until the hammer just touches the firing pin, then go 1/2 turn tighter. Stop there and test for results. It's cloudy out today, so my chrony isn't working...but it humanely put down a squirrel this morning at my bird feeder! This thing has some serious punch to it!!!

More later....

Chrony results with HST adjusted 1/2 turn in from start....JSB 18 gr 5.5mm fit best, and tested at 525 fps. The Crosman Destroyers 14 gr pellets had to be pushed into the chamber with a heavy thumb, or the breech wouldn't close. These pellets were going 575 fps. Then the clouds got too dark for the chrony to register and I stopped there.

I believe I will tighten the HST nut a few turns and get the fps at least into the 600 fps range...plenty for pistol shooting distances.s Hmmmm....tightened up the HST nut and velocity dropped to 512 fps???
However, I did previously open up the Transfer Port, which is located in the top of the sliding breech block. Just back the hex screw out until it is even with the top of the breech. Pretty simple.

More later...
Hepotter

This message has been edited by Hepotter on May 17, 2017 3:06 PM

Respond to this message   
Alex in Upstate NY
(Login awilde)
YF12

Very nice, thanks for the updates and pictures

May 17 2017, 1:27 PM 

Now I'm even more eagerly anticipating it than before. I almost cried when the UPS truck drove up only to find out it was for a different package... Maybe tomorrow with any luck.

Respond to this message   
Terry E
(Login TleVta)
YF12

Glad you like the SMS

May 17 2017, 1:28 PM 

Mine is scheduled to arrive on Friday. I was hoping that was going to work well with the pistol. I hope it's not a pellet clipper

Respond to this message   
H.E. Potter
(Login Hepotter)
YF12

No pellets clipped yet. I might add another section to the SMS for more quiet.

May 18 2017, 2:26 AM 

The SMS is modular, you can screw together as many sections as needed to get the "quiet" you need for your shooting environment.

Each module contains a single straight baffle with a hole in the center. The muzzle cap has holes in it's shaft, prior to screwing onto the barrel. In this manner the gun's shroud helps reduce sound,

There are options to increase SMS efficiency...add more modules, drill a few tiny vent holes at the rear of the shroud, glue some heavy felt to the inside walls of the SMS modules, etc...

Clipping shouldn't be an issue, however, if it is, simply unscrew each module and very slightly enlarge the offending baffle hole with a rat tail file, dremel, etc...
Hepotter

Respond to this message   
Bryan Hall
(Login texasair)
YF

greatly appreciate

May 17 2017, 1:55 PM 

your posts here. My hammer wouldn't stay cocked nor could I figure out how to install the ldc. You've addressed both those issues. Also I called Mike at Mrodair and he was very helpful as well. Thanks.

BMH

Respond to this message   
Ken
(Login Salticon)
YF12

Mine may have a issue

May 17 2017, 3:33 PM 

Barrel is very loose in the action block, and the moderator will not tighten up...

Respond to this message   
H.E. Potter
(Login Hepotter)
YF12

Try holding the breech bushing in place when attaching the LDC...

May 18 2017, 2:36 AM 

Put a thin pencil, or a piece of wood dowel rod in the breech hole, then lift up a bit, to stop the breech bushing from rotating when screwing on the moderator.

One of the Youtube videos showed an owner drilling/threading two grub screws above the breech bushing to permanently hold it in place. Possibly taking the gun apart, cleaning the bushing, and applying some heavy duty loc-tite might be a simpler and reversible way to stop it from rotating when screwing the LDC onto the barrel. I'm not quite certain why that bushing needs to be able to rotate...it seems to serve no ready purpose.
Hepotter

Respond to this message   
Ken
(Login Salticon)
YF12

THanks!!

May 19 2017, 9:41 AM 

Respond to this message   
Frank Zuccarini
(Login Frank_Zuccarini)
YF

Two Questions, Please......

May 17 2017, 4:48 PM 

Thank you again for this detailed and most helpful information. But if you would be so kind, I have (2) questions.

First, when I unscrewed and removed the Front Barrel Bushing, a short (8mm) black pin fell to the ground. Do you know what this is for or where it is supposed to go?

And second, are you able to separate the longer, 3-sections portion of the sound reduction system? The look like they unscrew from each other, the photos on the web site show that they unscrew from each other, but I cannot separate them.

Thank-you so much for your help..................... Frank

Respond to this message   
H.E. Potter
(Login Hepotter)
YF12

Pin? What pin???

May 18 2017, 2:09 AM 

I can only assume it might be part of the front sight??? I saw no such pin.

The moderator comes in sections and do unscrew from each other. I found some loc-tite on some threaded parts. You probably just need to apply more pressure to break them loose. But why bother? There's nothing inside them except a single baffle with a hole in the middle.

Sorry about that pin!
Hepotter

Respond to this message   

< Previous Page 1 2 3 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Airgun Calculators    Num of fills calc    Capacity Calc

******** Kalibrgun High quality, superb Accuracy, outstanding Value. ********

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.