<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

Crosman Premier too hard??

May 18 2017 at 9:30 AM
Rod  (Login RCMann)
YF12

Just got the new Leshiy .22 in yesterday and have run a few strings with H&N FTT and Crosman Premiers. The Leshiy was significantly more accurate with the Premiers, but I thought I read somewhere that the Premiers are made out of a harder lead alloy than most pellets.

If this is true, is there any potential damage to the barrel? Leshiys have a Walther barrel if that makes any dif.

Cheers, Rod

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Bob in WV
(Login duhuh)
YC

too hard

May 18 2017, 10:44 AM 

I like Crosman pellets and if they shoot good in your gun then use them. The Crosmans are a little harder than some of the other pellets but still a lot softer than steel. If you are worried about them leading up your barrel try lubing them. I use Slick 50 One lube. I spray a little in an old cookie tin and roll the pellets in the oil. None gets in the skirts that way.

Good luck,
Bob in WV
Never get in a hurry, it only slows you down.

Respond to this message   
JD
(Login JamesDingle777)

Agree with Bob. If you do use Slick 50 One, expect to re-zero

May 18 2017, 12:43 PM 

and an increase in speed if read over Chronograph. There is NO way a Crosman can hurt your barrel as long as they are clean and have no metal filings on them or something.
I have a mediocre assortment of pellets and can definitely tell which are hard to seat in a spring gun. Seating them with a bolt/probe you can learn to tell also.
I've seen some things you wouldn't expect. Tighter pellets hitting higher than looser ones. Too much friction from being too tight. Too loose and you may have blow by and loss of power.
I've read where most everyone says JSB's shoot best. In most all of my rifles, Crosmans did excellent to 50 yards. Then JSB's did better at longer distances. I did own an AZ .22 Rapid that shot nothing as well as Crosman Hollow Points. This defies most logic as a round Diabolo head pellet would logically be more accurate. All I know is I could count on that rifle & barrel combo to put CPHP's in Dime sized groups at 100 yards when there was NO wind. None of the JSB's could do as well. I'd get Nickel & Quarter sized groups at 100 yards with them.
Now, past 100 yards, The JSB's may have done better but I wasn't even attempting those long serious shots on paper at that time that I remember.
So basically, no worries. Some barrels and pellets prefer to be lubed and S50One seems to be one of the best. I'd try just maybe 20 at first. Don't lube your entire tin. It does not take much at all. That stuff spreads and goes a long way. If you see mist coming out of your barrel, you've used WAY too much. Like 2 drops for 20 pellets is where'd I'd start.
You'll have to shoot at least 10 lubed pellets, re-zero scope, settle into a bench rest or bagged, Bi-pod, etc. shooting position and then test accuracy. If you go back to un lubed pellets to compare. You will definitely have to clean your barrel thoroughly and run patches through until clean and completely dry. Then you'll have to re season your barrel with at least 10 shots of the new pellet to be tested. Then settle in and get serious about it.
You will have to shoot at least 10 of the new pellets before serious testing due to this process
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galling
Everything adds up to what's known as tolerance stacking and if you're chasing true accuracy, it can be hard to narrow down the main causes of the lack of. Good luck!

Respond to this message   
Mike
(Login Houlihan54)
YF12

Rod try JSB 16 gr. and 18 gr. - usually preferred by EDguns.

May 18 2017, 2:36 PM 

Respond to this message   
Rod
(Login RCMann)
YF12

Thanks for all the input! (NT)

May 18 2017, 9:16 PM 

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

Airgun Calculators    Num of fills calc    Capacity Calc

******** Kalibrgun High quality, superb Accuracy, outstanding Value. ********

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.