<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

i added a FAS 6004 to the collection of SSP pistol today

May 18 2017 at 7:14 PM
michael wolfram  (Login marflow)
YF

and after I got the 450 or so r-10 pellets that were sent with the pistol back in the tin I put an inch of foam in the case and fixed that first
of course this was a used gun but in like new condition
I did find the rear sight front pin out of location being completely out of the rights side of the sight and was a easy fix but why I'm not sure
and something I will fix by coating the pin with something
the sight had some paint on them and that came off with some alcohol and a toothbrush

now the interesting part of the gun was, I would have sold it also, the trigger was so out of adjustment

so with a 1.5mm ball end allen wrench and a little twisting the trigger is excellent now

the ambidextrous grips are nice in the hand but I'm going to look into a pair of large right hand match grips, for no other reason then why not

BME makes a very nice scope mount for a 604 so that would work but I'm on the fence about spending 83.00 + shipping

so the bottom line at this point, if you like shooting nice low powered target pistols and you can find a FAS 6004 at a good off retail price this would be a fine pistol to own

another thing would be that a young boy and or girl would love the pistol
light, easy to cock and it does have great sights

so I have HW-IZH-Gamo-FAS SSP pistols and all have a place in a pistol shooters collection

take care all
mike

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Joe
(Login Joe_58)
YF12

Nice....

May 18 2017, 9:13 PM 

Glad to hear you're happy with it. Good to see a review on it. It's one that's been on my want list for awhile but I keep hoping a used one will pop up for me.

Respond to this message   

Wyo
(Login WyoMan)
YF12

thanks for posting this, Mike...

May 18 2017, 10:07 PM 

I've been on the fence with the FAS 6004 for a while. I'm a push-over for accurate 10m pistols so I might have to give it a go.

Wyo

Respond to this message   
michael wolfram
(Login marflow)
YF

now i have to grab all the other SSP pistols that are the

May 18 2017, 11:48 PM 

same in, say looks
first off the IZH 46m has a trigger that is scary light and it is going to beat the FAS
so you could use a HW 40 as a comparison but again at this point the FAS trigger is better
I have a HW 75 and the older Beeman P-2 with full grips so I can put a pair of Herrett's National grips on it, to improve the feel
but to tell you the truth I have never wrung out the trigger in either of the HW 75's so that's what I need to do

I'm sure that the trigger in the FAS is a little better then the Gamo Compact I have, and that being after I put a block in the trigger area to take up the trigger slack

the Alecto is right in the ball park also

the funny thing about triggers is you never know where your going to find a great one

there is no adjustment in the trigger, a very simple gun but the trigger is unreal and it's the Lovena Lov 21
if they were still being sold in the states, I think everyone would want one

so I have some more work on the trigger and that is always fun

take care

Gary just one note the Fas could be hard to rebarrel like you do and the reason is the breech seal is in the face of the barrel and not the valve face
cutting that o-ring groove could be hard on such a small diameter barrel
mike

This message has been edited by marflow on May 19, 2017 12:23 AM

Respond to this message   

Wyo
(Login WyoMan)
YF12

Cutting a dovetail face groove with stone tools...?

May 19 2017, 8:31 PM 

sometimes you have to punt... thanks for the heads-up happy.gif

Wyo

Respond to this message   
michael wolfram
(Login marflow)
YF

HW75---FAS 6004---Gamo Compact trigger impressions

May 19 2017, 6:36 PM 

well I grabbed my HW75 and tweaked the trigger till I was happy and there was not much to do
I worked on the FAS 6004 a little more and improved it just a bit
and the Gamo is what it is

the Gamo and the Fas have something in common a pull type valve, where as the trigger components pull the valve open and because of all of that it can leave the trigger feeling heavy
and that is the case with the Gamo Compact, also the Compact has no adjustment and the trigger travel can be more then you want
I put a small piece of urethane in the behind the trigger, let say horseshoe, before the engagement and a small piece of tape over that so it stayed in place, a bit crude but a great help

the HW75 has a sweet spot but you have to work at getting there, I found the trigger travel adjustment to be hour turn sensitive but after some twisting of the 2mm allen screws found a happy medium

the Fas 6004 has 4 screws to adjust how the trigger plays, the allens are 1.5 mm and a ball head allen is the way to go, because there are no holes in the trigger guard as in the HW75

the best trigger of the three
1. Fas 6004 and this is because you can dial in any sort of trigger pull you can imagine and it's light and crisp and a joy

1.5 there is no 2 in this comparison because the triggers are that much different and in 1.5 place is the HW75, but the trigger pull and break are different and unlike the other 2 pistol it uses a exposed hammer, you can make it scare light but I found the initial travel harder to adjust but a great trigger

3 is the Gamo compact, the trigger breaks like glass but it is heavy compared to the other two and if that could be lighten it would that much better

so what have I learned I have 3 very nice pistols and if you have a chance try one for yourself and they would all out shoot this old shooter every day

also the FAs and Gamo are just a bit easier to cock then the HW but I think young and old would have no problem

just some observation from an old man

take care

mike

Respond to this message   

Wyo
(Login WyoMan)
YF12

Nice review, glad you like the trigger on the 6004

May 19 2017, 8:59 PM 

I can tell you what happened with my HW 75 trigger. I adjusted the trigger spring to the lightest setting. Then discovered the sear would release in the first stage (the first stage screw turns enough CW). I had a true "touch" trigger at that setting. Zero travel, touch the trigger, it fires.

It had no chance to pass the "bump test" but it can't fire until the hammer is pulled back - which I did when the target was acquired.

Although that was pretty cool, I was having too many shots go off prematurely. After all, you have to touch the darned thing before you can pull it. I left the first stage adjustment the same and then added back some spring force on the trigger. You can touch it now and it doesn't fire, then you think about squeezing and it goes off happy.gif Nice. thanks -

Wyo

Respond to this message   
michael wolfram
(Login marflow)
YF

I found the same thing, but i like about a millimeter of

May 20 2017, 1:58 AM 

travel and that's a hard adjustment
haven't given up, I think sometimes you have to set it aside for a day and pick it up again an test again

Gary take care
mike

Respond to this message   
Longbow
(Login Longbow29)
YF12

I also have a 6004

May 19 2017, 9:30 PM 

I set the piston headspace to about .007" and opened the transfer port. Which got me about 385 fps at 5500 ft elevation. Mine is one hole at 10 m accurate, and has an excellent trigger. Plus it's deadly on black widow with a poppy seed shot charge
A very elegant pistol overall

Respond to this message   
michael wolfram
(Login marflow)
YF

tell me how your headspacing secret and that is good

May 20 2017, 2:03 AM 

FPS at any elevation
the pellet that your using, been testing with RWS R-10 7grain
mike

Respond to this message   
Longbow
(Login Longbow29)
YF12

I made an adjustable pump rod

May 20 2017, 12:12 PM 

To test mine with. I measured the head space with plastiguage. .007" was consistently the right amount. 0 head space would drop velo 40 fps. Steve in NC gave me port size info. The valve in the gun is permanently assembled in my experience. So reaming the port was exciting as there was no way to clean out the swarf

You could adjust headspace with aluminum tape. Iirc mine had about .013 from the factory and was shooting about 330fps.

Respond to this message   
michael wolfram
(Login marflow)
YF

thank you NT

May 20 2017, 2:30 PM 

mike

Respond to this message   
Longbow
(Login Longbow29)
YF12

Pellets rws hobby and jsb rs nft

May 20 2017, 3:14 PM 

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Airgun Calculators    Num of fills calc    Capacity Calc

******** Kalibrgun High quality, superb Accuracy, outstanding Value. ********

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.