<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

What degreaser for a hand pump?

May 18 2017 at 8:35 PM

william  (Login williamN)
YC

What's is a good, safe, degreaser for cleaning a hand pump during a teardown and re-lube?

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
James Dingle
(Login JamesDingle777)
AR&P

Well, if you are tearing it down, you should be replacing all O-rings

May 19 2017, 5:46 AM 

so as long as solvent isn't touching rings you plan on trying to reuse, there's no issue. If you are NOT replacing rings and just wish to clean extra lube off, I suggest simply using this new fangled invention called a paper towel.
I apologize. I could just erase that but I'm not to big to apologize. Didn't mean to sound like a smart &^%. My pump (see post above) is giving me a heck of a time.
Not sure if you are just cleaning or rebuilding. One very common mistake MANY people make is TOO MUCH LUBRICATION! It's as bad as too little or none at all. It will clog and mess your pump right up. All it takes (I recommend 100% pure Plumbers' Silicone grease, NOT Caulk. Big difference, and it should say 100% pure. NO petroleum distillates. I'll post a link) is a very slight thin layer on 2 main areas. In most pumps only 2-3 rings are static/friction bearing ones that need lube. Other rings benefit from silicone by sealing a bit better and preventing dry rot.
Most Hardware stores carry 100% silicone in plumbing section. I'll copy and post a link.

Here's a link:http://www.bing.com/search?q=Plumbers+silicone+grease&src=IE-TopResult&FORM=IETR02&pc=EUPP_UE10&conversationid=

Any of this should be good. I use the little grey round snap cap container. Specifically says 100% pure Silicone grease. The main piston rod with the 3/16" piston, ring and sometimes that white Teflon spacer are where it's definitely needed most. That little O-ring hits temps of (I'm told) 400-500F* hence why they say, "Pump 50 strokes, let cool for 3-5 minutes, repeat"
The other area, of course is where 2 main tubes slide upon one another. You've got a main O-ring in bottom of brass cap connected to main outer tube that needs lube and a little goes a long way. Good luck Buddy.

You can clean the parts with just about anything as long as rings are off. Goo Gone, Gas, Acetone, any degreaser including Dawn detergent, then washing and drying completely is OK.

This message has been edited by JamesDingle777 on May 19, 2017 5:56 AM

Respond to this message   

dan_house
(Login dan_house)
YC

Simple Green

May 19 2017, 12:30 PM 

wont hurt the o-rings, wont stink up your work space and no head aches from the chemical stench of many degreasers....

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Airgun Calculators    Num of fills calc    Capacity Calc

******** Kalibrgun High quality, superb Accuracy, outstanding Value. ********

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.