<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

What's up with the "saddle"...

May 30 2017 at 5:11 AM
Victor3  (Login Victor3)
YFOT

...that manufacturers toss onto the stocks of so many air rifles these days? Fear of offending the lefty minority?

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
rex
(Login rexwcapps)
YF

saddles

May 30 2017, 7:02 AM 

Trying to suit every one with one stock I guess. If the gun is a keeper, I just remove the side I dont need and refinish. (If it is wood or a material I can work with).

Respond to this message   
Doug Wall
(Login DougWall)
YF

It's not a matter of offending us lefties

May 30 2017, 7:58 AM 

It's a matter of selling something that us lefties can actually use. For me, stock fit and shape is a a major factor in guns that I buy. There are MANY righty only stocks that are virtually impossible for me to use, that I WILL NOT buy. The manufacturers are smart if they sell with really ambidextrous stocks.

Respond to this message   
JD
(Login JamesDingle777)

Fully agree. I was feeling "left" out, and there have been many rifles

May 30 2017, 8:12 AM 

I've had to pass over due to it being a righty. I can deal with a right sided comb but a left sided comb is what I prefer for a consistent repetitive hold.

Respond to this message   
William
(Login wjjones)
YF

Ambidextrous stocks are not just for "lefties"

May 30 2017, 8:56 AM 

Not only are there left handed shooters, there are left eye shooters for gun makers to accommodate. I always shot right handed, even though I was left-eye dominant. Recently, I had to start "switch-hitting" when the vision in my right eye got much worse. All my stocks are ambi now.

Respond to this message   
gubb33ps
(Login gubb33ps)
YF

In many cases you are right.

May 30 2017, 5:32 PM 

It's a whole lot easier to design one stock that will "sort of" suit both rights and lefts that it is to open production of two stocks, one uniquely right and one uniquely left.

Not really sure how much a lefty-friendly stock is going to help with a rifle that has a right-handed operating system is going to do.

So unless the action (side lever or bolt) can be converted to "lefty", the ambi-stock is just a Band-Aid on a giant open wound.

Most of the "lefties" tried on a Sumatra rather like it. Stock is pretty much the same left or right (without the "saddle"), the lever works straight up and down, and the mag. doesn't really care.

Respond to this message   
Victor3
(Login Victor3)
YFOT

That's all well and good but....

May 30 2017, 8:41 PM 

...the majority of firearm stocks have been ambi for like forever, no saddle required. Not everyone likes a Monte Carlo stock, and I most certainly don't care for a DOUBLE one.

My Mom was left-handed but they made her learn to write right-handed. I vote we go back to the good ol' days, lol.

Respond to this message   
SteveV
(Login stevevines)
YC

Those weren't the "good old days" if you were left handed -

May 31 2017, 6:28 AM 

trust me on this one!

Respond to this message   
JD
(Login JamesDingle777)

SMACK! Write with your right! N/T

May 31 2017, 7:12 AM 

Respond to this message   
SteveV
(Login stevevines)
YC

Yep, right on the knuckles................nt

May 31 2017, 6:53 PM 

Respond to this message   
Tommy
(Login shambozzie)
YF12

Simplicity of design and ambidextrous stock is the key to air force guns......

May 31 2017, 10:34 AM 

Designed from the start with lefty in mine.

Respond to this message   
Chris
(Login RockDoc65)
YF

You need to become ambidextrous where guns are concerned.

June 1 2017, 2:34 PM 

Particularly if you hunt. That animal is almost always going to come up on your rear quarter on the WRONG side. Whether it's rifles, pistols, shotguns or airguns, you need to be able to do both. It may be a hunting scenario or a self-defense scenario or just a competition where you are required to shoot "wrong-handed," but y'all should be able to do it both ways.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

Airgun Calculators    Num of fills calc    Capacity Calc

******** Kalibrgun High quality, superb Accuracy, outstanding Value. ********

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.