<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

Athlon Optics 6-24x50 Argos BTR on a 12 ftlb springer?

May 31 2017 at 11:14 PM
John  (Login jcerne2)
YF12

Please let me know if an Athlon Optics 6-24x50 Argos BTR would survive a 12 ftlb springer (in this case a FWB 124 with Pro-Mac tune kit). I've read conflicting reports online on whether this scope is springer-rated (or perhaps magnum springer-rated?). Unfortunately, I'm limited to scopes ~<15" long on this airgun due to the barrel-break design. I hope to use this combo for WFTF matches. I realize that the FWB 124 isn't ideal, but it shoots better than I can hold. I'd like to get even higher magnification for better range finding, but those scopes tend to be too long.

Thanks,
John

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
TV
(Login TerryVanpool)
YC

Re: Athlon Optics 6-24x50 Argos BTR on a 12 ftlb springer?

May 31 2017, 11:27 PM 

I ordered this scope from Optics Planet and tried it on my Hunter class gun (pcp) and really liked most everything about it except for one fatal flaw to me. It would not focus closer than 13 yards. A call to Athlon proved fruitless so I returned it.
If you can live with the focus limitations I would think it will hold up to a mild springer as well as a Hawke or Optisan.
Charter member of Over The Hill Gang

Respond to this message   
John
(Login jcerne2)
YF12

close focus

May 31 2017, 11:43 PM 

Thanks for the helpful info and excellent point about focusing! I've read that other folks had similar problems focusing close at the highest magnification with this scope, but were able to focus closer at 6x. Was this the case with your scope? I'm pretty new to FT, so please let me know if using lower mag at closer ranges is a reasonable workaround. Hopefully, POI doesn't change much with changing magnification.

Please let me know if 12 ftlbs is considered mild for a springer; back when I bought my 124, 12 ftlbs was considered to be pretty powerful!

Thanks,
John

Respond to this message   
TV
(Login TerryVanpool)
YC

Re: close focus

June 1 2017, 12:52 AM 

If it is out of focus at max power then it is also out of focus at minimum power, it just doesn't look so. But the parallax is still there and if you can't focus range the close targets accurately you are going to miss a lot of small kill zones. To me the inability to focus at 10 yds. (as claimed by the manufacturer) makes this scope unsuitable for FT.
If your 124 is tuned properly at 12# I would consider it mild. If it is not tuned well and the piston is slamming into the front of the compression tube it can damage a scope even at 12#. But Athalon claims a lifetime warranty and I didn't see any disclaimers on air guns.

Respond to this message   
Michael McKeown
(Login perfcomp)
YF

Re: close focus

June 1 2017, 3:08 PM 

I own two of these scopes with the APMR reticle. Love them happy.gif. I can't speak for springer capability, but as they are glass etched, and for the price, I'd be willing to give it a try.

Neither of mine did 10 yards at max power, but it only takes about 1/2 a turn of the objective ring to correct it, maybe a full turn I don't remember, but very little anyway. Use a thin rubber sheet jar opener if it doesn't loosen with bare fingers. Maybe it's not the ideal situation, but the other features and the price point of this scope make it, for me, not a problem. If it still doesn't loosen I can show you the tool I machined to fit in the notches inside.

Love that FFP! The Athlon 6-24x50 is the right mix of features. Enough power for accurate range finding, the APMR reticle makes it super easy to have a reticle cheat-sheet of aim points (I put mine on the objective's flip up scope cap).and the FFP lets you make power changes with no change in the reticle aim point! Best of all compared to some similarly priced (or slightly less) scopes, the Athlon has no optical distortion all the way to the edge. It's really a great view compared to Leapers 4-16x for example, which I also have. It's a night and day difference in distortion. If all a scope has to be is crosshairs, it doesn't matter, but I often use the scope as a spotting scope, and the Athlon, for it's price point, is a great view.

Even though for HFT you're not making power changes so the FFP feature is not really utilized, a HFT rig might get used on occasion in real small game/pesting use, and then the FFP with power changing is super cool.
Michael McKeown

Respond to this message   
Jack
(Login JKC_NoCal)
YF12

Turning the power down for...

June 2 2017, 10:05 AM 

...the forced position lanes without having to create new DOPE is another advantage of FFP scopes.

Respond to this message   
Ron Robinson
(Login compressive)
YC

The reality is

June 1 2017, 12:56 AM 

If a scope manufacturer doesn't specify springer rated IN WRITING, "You pays yo' money, and you takes yo' chances."

Respond to this message   
TV
(Login TerryVanpool)
YC

You're more honest than me Ron.....

June 1 2017, 1:08 AM 

if I send in a broken scope I don't volunteer any details. Plus, if the maker doesn't exclude springers I assume the warranty covers it.

Respond to this message   
Ron Robinson
(Login compressive)
YC

That honesty

June 1 2017, 12:18 PM 

Will get me a Grande Latte for only $5.99 at any Starbucks in Texas! And banned in north Texas.

Respond to this message   

Paul
(Login Airgunner)
YC

John your not limited

June 1 2017, 5:00 AM 

because you can mount the scope high enough if you want, to have clearance for cocking the gun. It actually helps you shooting at the 12 ft/lb level as a higher scope moves the peak of the trajectory out further and makes range finding errors at distance less critical. Usually high mounts on a droop compensated riser will be enough like seen here in the picture of my last FT break barrel with the Sightron 10-50 on it.

[linked image]

Respond to this message   
John
(Login jcerne2)
YF12

WOW!

June 2 2017, 11:30 AM 

Very impressive and what a beautiful stock! It's great to see what's possible when people get creative! I agree that the high mount would be better at longer ranges but am not sure that I'm ready to make the leap to this dramatic solution.

Thanks,
John

Respond to this message   
Eric Sanders
(Login Eric_Sanders)
YF12

whatta stock!

June 2 2017, 10:27 PM 

Dang Paul. That's one of the prettiest stocks I've ever seen.
Eric

Respond to this message   
John
(Login jcerne2)
YF12

how about Sun Optics 8-32x?

June 1 2017, 12:22 PM 

Has anyone tried the 8-32x 50mm Varmint Seeker from Sun Optics, or any other Sun Optics scope?

http://sunopticsusa.com/varmint-seeker-30mm-rifle-scope-ks-ap83250/

Except for the reticle (I'd prefer etched glass, multiple mil-dot), it looks pretty good. It's supposed to focus down to 10 yards and their costumer service people told me it is spring piston airgun-rated.

Thanks,
John

Respond to this message   
Brazos
(Login Brazos2)
YF12

Re: Athlon Optics 6-24x50 Argos BTR on a 12 ftlb springer?

June 1 2017, 10:18 PM 

If the scope manufacturer does not specify "not for spring rifles" them no worries about warranty. Even then how would they know. If they can't make a scope that can't handle a spring rifle you don't want it. Only a fool would get a scope that can't handle a spring rifle no matter what rifle they put it on. Shooting FT it takes a very long time to properly set up a scope. If it fails you have to start over again. Setting up a scope is a year long process as you have to deal with temperature swings, etc. That takes time to learn. Get a known good scope. That doesn't mean it has to cost a bunch of $$. There are plenty of cheap scopes that will haul the mail.

Respond to this message   
John
(Login jcerne2)
YF12

what would recommend that's under $400 and around 15" long

June 2 2017, 11:26 AM 

The Sun Optics 8-32x looks pretty good (although the reticle is just a single dot in the fine cross hairs and there are very few online reviews/opinions from airgunners on it). The Athlon Argos only goes to 24x and doesn't focus well at closer ranges (maybe some people are getting better than 13 yards as closest focus?). Is 24x enough for ranging? I've also started looking at the Nikko Stirling Targetmaster 6-24x 50mm (1" tube)

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/499809/nikko-stirling-targetmaster-rifle-scope-6-24x-50mm-side-focus-mil-dot-reticle-matte

I've looked at what scopes are being used in FT competitions and they're mainly Hawke, Sightron, and Nikko (but not the Targetmaster).

This will be the most money that I've ever spent on a scope and my main concern is that after spending over $300 on it, I'll discover that only for a bit more money I could have gotten something much better!

Thanks for your help and patience!

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

Airgun Calculators    Num of fills calc    Capacity Calc

******** Kalibrgun High quality, superb Accuracy, outstanding Value. ********

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.